Old Aug 27, 2015, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by Gerwalk
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2015
278 Posts
Discussion
Noob, Motor for my VTOL project???

Hello,
I've been working on a Harrier using four 50mm edf. However its a fail because it will not takeoff with the wings on. Some type of airflow issue and air is not getting to the fans with the wings on. I could use bigger fans but I don't want to go that route.

Instead I would like to make a compressor/axial flow ducted unit. My plan was to use a 10 blade XRP 70mm impeller on the front of a outrunner. On the rear of the outrunner would be a 68mm 6 vane centrifugal impeller about 20g in weight. The edf impeller would help move volumes of air into the centrifugal impeller and through the duct to the nozzles. The centrifugal impeller would convert most of the axial flow to 90 degree thrust. There will be a front unit for the front two nozzles and a rear unit for the two rear nozzles.

I planned to do this on electric and really don't know to much about motors. As of now I think a need a 2836 outrunner with a kv of 2500 to 3000. I am not sure of how many watts of power I need I just figured get the highest wattage that I can afford that is not too heavy. I had planned to use two 4s G6 HV 2400 mah lipos.

My main concern is over cooking the motors and selecting the proper motor with KV, weight, and torque. I played around with a 10th scale rc car motor approx. 3500kv and a open vacuum impeller and it drew about 80-90 amps and got hot quick. I don't what that. The original version of this project was a glow fuel OS91 engine running about 10,000 to 12,000 rpm powering both the front and rear blades. So I hope I can find a suitable electric alternative.

Please give me any advice on the best options that are available and any insight on what to expect on that type of setup. I enclosed a picture of the glow fuel unit so you can get an idea of what I am trying to do. I will draw a picture of what I am trying to build and post it.

Thanks and hope you guys can help me out

I attached a PDF file of a drawing I did.
Gerwalk is offline Find More Posts by Gerwalk
Last edited by Gerwalk; Aug 27, 2015 at 06:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
13,610 Posts
This subforum is about motor designing and building.

anyone have an idea how many watts per pound would be need for VTOL?
Sticky: VTOL RC aircraft concepts, designs and links

Dedicated subfora
www.rcgroups.com/vtols-360
www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-jets-375
www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:49 PM
Joined Mar 2015
278 Posts

Thank for the reply, just thought who else better to ask questions the people that actually understand the science of these motors.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
13,610 Posts
Your problem is a system problem/question, hence my referrals/suggestions. You, as motor user, are interested in max.current and Kv of the motor, it's a black box to you. Here, we deal with how to get desired Kv and highest allowed maximum current. Techo-geek-speak and motor innards of the worst kind

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
8,424 Posts
Like all areas of life,, NOOBs need to follow a progression to learn to fly. You can't just jump into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim - using that analogy, VTOL is the equivalent of free diving. The pursuit of VTOL has been taking the best minds in aerospace for 50 years. What makes you think you are going to re-invent the wheel (in model form)?

Good luck wit dat.

#1 Crawl - all noobs start here
#2 Walk - intermediate step
#3 Run - now you're getting somewhere
#4 Fly - learn to take off, land, manage energy, handle emergency
#5 Build - it's more difficult than tab A into slot B - really
#6 Design - so you think you got the right stuff??? (go back to #1 to start over)
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 29, 2015, 06:42 PM
Joined Mar 2015
278 Posts
Thanks Guys for being so helpful. When I am done with I will post up.