Old May 21, 2015, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,265 Posts
Discussion
My Experiences with UMX Airplanes

Folks,

I've had four UMX birds. In order of preference they are: 1) Sport Cub S, 2) MiG-15, 3) PT-17, and 4) Spitfire. My reasons:

1) The Sport Cub S was a delight to fly right out of the box. It needed no adjustments, it has plenty of power, good duration, and SAFE with three levels works fine for me. With full SAFE applied, it cannot be made to climb into a stall, nor can it be easily dived steeply. With full SAFE it almost lands itself automatically.

2) The MiG-15 was a fine airplane right out of the box. Though it was a 2S airplane, that's beside my point. Once I figured out how to set it up for a proper launch, it was smooth, reliable, and very fast -- almost too fast for my ancient reflexes and limited flying space. It landed itself almost automatically. Now it's long gone from Horizon Hobby's catalog, alas! (And mine is demised, thanks to my dumb thumb on two launches.)

3) The PT-17 needed a dozen flights before I got it sorted. I needed to add 2.3 grams to the nose behind the black engine, and I needed to adjust the elevator push-rod for a touch of down-trim. Furthermore, I moved the elevator push-rod to the inner-most hole on the elevator horn to give more throw for both me at the sticks and for the gyro. Without those tweaks the PT-17 wanted to climb and stall, if I applied more than 1/3 throttle. As it is now, I still must be careful on applying full power not to let it climb into a stall. I examined the motor with the thought of adding more down-thrust, but I'll leave that alone for now. Otherwise the PT-17's virtues include plenty of power and decent duration. I have to land it with some care, because it doesn't have as good handling as the Sport Cub S.

A friend has a PT-17, and he reported that his bird flew fine out of the box. (He's a better pilot than I am.)

4) The Spitfire (also no longer in the HH catalog) was a dud. It suffered from poor duration (only three minutes) and low power. It dragged its tail and was always ready to stall. I gave mine away.

Thanks for reading, and I hope some of my comments help someone.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Last edited by JRuggiero; May 22, 2015 at 05:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2015, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by ATA Flyer
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Nov 2001
94 Posts
Thanks for sharing Jim, I also have the PT and the Mig along with the P51 & P40 and love them all!

On the PT what I first thought was tail heavy was remedied by adjusting the elevator down a small amount.
Now I fly with the battery as far aft as it will go on all my UMX planes.
Horizon seems to set the CG conservatively forward especially on the Mig which I modified by carving out the foam from the back end of the battery compartment so I could move the battery about a quarter inch back
I have yet to find the aft limit on any of my planes :-)

How badly is your Mig damaged?
I recently replaced the fuselage on my mig. Replacements are still out there.

Tom
ATA Flyer is online now Find More Posts by ATA Flyer
Old May 24, 2015, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by microheli
Joined Jul 2006
847 Posts
I install the more powerfull motor from the Sport Cup S in the Spitfire and she go like hell
I thing it's my fastest 1S brushed motor plane now.

My PT-17 need only some down trim and no CG change. She fly horizontal with no climb at all throttle settings but have a significant down thrust angle for this.
A thrust > elevator mix on the TX can also compensate to less down thrust angle.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old May 25, 2015, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
483 Posts
Can some body please post a link to the sport cub I am not sure its the airplane I am thinking it is????..
If you ask me Its all about the density of the foam , glue and how the plane is put together. because I have seen people with no issues with certain planes and people with loads of issues with certain planes. (my umx carbon cub needs a bunch of nose weight I figured it out when I finaly balanced it after several crashes right out of the box. my experience with the umx radian were Its an awesome plane for an 80 dollar glider just remember when flying e flight micros to always do a full pree flight inspection. I had one umx radian with a loose control lincage I would have launched with no rudder control . another with a motor that went bad inside of a week. I like to fly everyday when weather permits
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
Old May 25, 2015, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ferret View Post
Can some body please post a link to the sport cub I am not sure its the airplane I am thinking it is????..
If you ask me Its all about the density of the foam , glue and how the plane is put together. because I have seen people with no issues with certain planes and people with loads of issues with certain planes. (my umx carbon cub needs a bunch of nose weight I figured it out when I finaly balanced it after several crashes right out of the box. my experience with the umx radian were Its an awesome plane for an 80 dollar glider just remember when flying e flight micros to always do a full pree flight inspection. I had one umx radian with a loose control lincage I would have launched with no rudder control . another with a motor that went bad inside of a week. I like to fly everyday when weather permits
Google is a very good tool to know how to use...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sport+Cub+S
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old May 25, 2015, 05:13 PM
Joined Aug 2014
483 Posts
I know how to use it thanks I should't have asked. this one flew right over my weasely little head. perhaps because they painted it exactly lie the large carbon cub. I will folow the thread on this one looks like a fun plane but with the wee radio that comes with it I wouldn't fly it out of the park. . how does the motor compare to the umx radian motor.
Old May 25, 2015, 05:23 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Joined Aug 2014
902 Posts
Quote:
I know how to use it thanks I should't have asked. this one flew right over my weasely little head. perhaps because they painted it exactly lie the large carbon cub. I will folow the thread on this one looks like a fun plane but with the wee radio that comes with it I wouldn't fly it out of the park. . how does the motor compare to the umx radian motor.
For all intents and purposes they are the same motor. No current evidence to the contrary.

The sport cub is also a BNF model- you can bind it to a full range transmitter.
Old May 25, 2015, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2014
483 Posts
I will check out the thread on this to me its a champ with a bigger straight wing and ailerons . but i love the brushless motor on the carbon cub and I am already use to rudder on the left stick , but wouldnt mind this plane for dead calm evenings in front of my house
Old May 25, 2015, 05:53 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Joined Aug 2014
902 Posts
Quote:
I will check out the thread on this to me its a champ with a bigger straight wing and ailerons . but i love the brushless motor on the carbon cub and I am already use to rudder on the left stick , but wouldnt mind this plane for dead calm evenings in front of my house
The sport cub is still a 4 channel model- that means that default settings would give you rudder and throttle on the left stick and aileron and elevator on the right stick. For mode 2 transmitters that's how 4 channel+ receivers will be programmed.