SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2015, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by Bariboy
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
326 Posts
Discussion
Mixing rudder and ailerons

I have a micro T28, I have dialed in some expo and want to mix rudder and ailerons...on a DX. Anybody have a suggestion on the amount of mix? +25 enough?
Bariboy is offline Find More Posts by Bariboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by pmackenzie
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,840 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish with the mix?

It usually takes very little aileron to rudder mix to correct for adverse yaw, as little as 5%.
But not sure the T28 being a low wing needs this sort of correction?

If you are trying to eliminate the yaw/roll coupling by mixing opposite aileron with rudder then that might take more.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
902 Posts
What model of radio is it?
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:34 PM
Joined Feb 2006
326 Posts
Sorry, DX8, ok, maybe I am noob at this. I was trying to make a better turn, a more coordinated turn as I pretty much suck at four channel I noted almost instantly that the rudder does in fact go opposite the roll...much to my surprise. So is there a percentage I should shoot for or do I pick one, try it and see what happens? I did put some dual rate and expo on the ailerons.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by pmackenzie
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,840 Posts
Try 5% rudder in the direction of the roll.
Put it on a switch so you can turn it on or off .

Coordinated turns are more about how much elevator you pull for a given bank angle.
More bank needs more elevator. Once the model is actually banked you don't usually need much aileron input to hold the bank, so the rudder mix won't actually help keep it coordinated.
The main reason for this sort of mix is to make the roll more axial when you initiate the bank.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Apr 12, 2015, 06:57 AM
Joined Feb 2006
326 Posts
Thanks. Switching it is a great idea. Will do. Scott
Old Apr 12, 2015, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by Ricomon
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Coordinated turns are more about how much elevator you pull for a given bank angle.
More bank needs more elevator. Once the model is actually banked you don't usually need much aileron input to hold the bank, so the rudder mix won't actually help keep it coordinated.
The main reason for this sort of mix is to make the roll more axial when you initiate the bank.
Actually, coordinated turns require the proper amount of rudder, aileron, and elevator. Coordinating a turn means eliminating slips (tail in from too much aileron) and skids (tail out from too little aileron).

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Apr 15, 2015, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
And the dirty secret is that different amounts of rudder are typically needed entering, during and exiting the turn. And the requirements also change for shallow, medium and steep turns. A mix won't do anything to give you a coordinated turn. Only educated thumbs can do that. I suppose a sensored plane with radio feedback systems could do that too, but then why not just go watch a video?
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins