New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by GertF
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Help!
WANTED: Powertrain for Hawk F5B

Dear All;

Im building a Toko Hotliner, which is similar to a Hawk. Looking for a motor, gearbox and esc.

I have family in the UK, can be shipped there.

Thank you.

Gert
GertF is offline Find More Posts by GertF
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by JAyThaRevo
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2013
277 Posts
What are you aiming for powerwise and how much do you want to spend? How many LiPo cells do you want to fly? 3S,4S,...?

I would not fly more than 3kW on a Hawk and that with caution.
JAyThaRevo is offline Find More Posts by JAyThaRevo
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by GertF
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
It does not need to be anything near competition power. I was aiming at +- 2.5kw.
4s.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:41 AM
Find More Posts by GertF
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Just to add, Im flying it with a SK3 4.6 840kv direct drive on 14x8 4s, not very exciting.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by WimH
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,544 Posts
If almost 2 KW is enough I can sell you my 2S competition drive , as we no longer fly F5B 2S in Belgium. Neu 1506/1D/6.7, CC180 and 5 2 S lipos

almost 300 A with 16*16 prop ( Aeronaut 15* 13 or 16*13 work great as well..)
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by Jebera
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Oct 2006
542 Posts
Look at this...

http://www.reisenauer.de/artikelauswahl.php5?kid=99

Outstanding options here...

I have the 3700kv one... on 4s, scary little beast!

Andrť
Jebera is online now Find More Posts by Jebera
Last edited by Jebera; Feb 24, 2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:03 AM
Find More Posts by jjmouris
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,258 Posts
Hi Gert, thanks for starting a thread and welcome to RCG. Also thanks for the link, nice to see something F5B happening in South Africa.

http://cbcomp.co.za/electric-gliders/electric-toko

Those locally made airframes look really sweet. It's some sort of Urs Leodolter Evolution, very much like the Hawk. What is the fuselage room like below the wing, can you fit a 6S 2700mah battery pack? Or maybe 6S 2200mah in 2x 3S packs?

What layup version did you get? Of it's the glass only one you may want to take it easy with the power setup as the wing won't be very torsionally stiff. In that case 2.5kw would be about the max. However if you got the full carbon one, where the control surfaces and the Dbox have carbon, you can probably load that puppy up to 4kw without worries.

My advice, get your self a nice Kontronik Kira drive. Good for up to 4 kW and a good price for high quality parts with a service department should you need it.

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5235

Combine the 3000kv motor with up to 6S on a reflashed HK200 with up to 18" props and you are up and away. Check the length of the nose, you may be restricted on maximum diameter of the prop. If that is the case, the 3800kv may be a better fit.

The RFM 16x17 slim prop is a lot of fun, makes a lovely noise. Use a strait spinner with the right size, probably 38mm.

By the way, the idea of 6S and lower Kv motor is to keep the amps low. The HK200 controllers don't seem to mind 6S at all but do get hot with high amps.

J
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
Last edited by jjmouris; Feb 25, 2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:46 AM
Find More Posts by GertF
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Hi Jim;

Thanks, that is great advice. I have not found anyone else in SA that is interested in F5B, so it would be more of a free flying hotliner setup.

I have the normal glass version. It will probably have enough room for a 6s 2200. I was considering the HK200 esc (cant find one at this stage), 3500 kv motor (nose will accommodate a 16" comfortably). Was thinking 4-5s and a KPG25 gearbox.

Cheers
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:54 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,258 Posts
Hi Gert, you can say Joe or Jos if you like. I am Dutch by the way.

We would love to visit an F5B event in SA so get some guys together and maybe next year organise an event.

Did Gerben not have any more ESC's? I can order one for you from HK and reflash it for you when it arrives.

Where where you planning on getting the gearbox from? What pinion size / motor shaft size and what motor?

I think with the all glass version the Kira would still be a good choice but you would not be able to use it to it's full potential. So maybe if you can use a cheap Chinese inrunner with a gearbox that would be a better match. If you search for my thread where I used a Plettenberg gearbox with a $25 motor. Budget drive Mk2 comes to mind.

EDIT; Found it....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347130

Note the lower ratio gearboxes mean you need a lower Kv motor or smaller prop to keep the prop RPM / amps down.

J
Old Feb 25, 2015, 03:07 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,258 Posts
Here is a good option.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2700kv.html

But most of the good size 36mm motors will have a 5mm output shaft and so you are restricted to use a gearbox that will fit this.

The Plettenberg 5:1 gearbox is about £119 if I remember rightly.

Still, cheaper then the Kontronik and you can use the gearbox for a more powerful drive further down the line.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 03:10 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,258 Posts
The ESC, just needs reflashing and some better capacitors.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._200A_ESC.html
Old Feb 25, 2015, 03:38 AM
Find More Posts by GertF
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Thanks Joe, apologies for the error!

Is the ESC at all workable as is for now? Would I be able to reflash it myself? I'm sure I can sort out some capacitors here in SA.

Budget Drive MK2 looks ideal. The KPG25 is compatible with 3.17 shaft. Is the KPG27 compatible with 5mm? They are half the price of the Plettenberg gearbox and I have found a local company that does Kontronik.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 04:07 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,258 Posts
Ofcourse you can reflash your self and add capacitors and it's easy when you know what you are doing but it's not just any random capacitor (you need very low ESR ones) and there are different versions of the ESC logic board that all need different hex files, it is not sure what you will get when you order one from the link above now. The stock firmware will work to run the motor but it's not very good and I would not suggest using it. Please do a bit more searching, also see my blogs and think if maybe you want to start flashing some ESC's for your self and others where you are. HK also do a brilliant little plunger tool that fits on the CPU, makes flashing very easy when you get the big packedge CPU. You will need a USBASP program lead as well.

Unfortionately I don't think those gearboxes have 5mm pinions as they are made to use with smaller 28mm motors or with a pinion that has been formed on the motor shaft as the KIRA with gearbox has.

I know the Plettenberg gearbox is not cheap but it is good and the pinion has a grub screw which makes it less likely to come loose compared to the glue only KPG pinions. You can use this gearbox with up to 6 kW later down the line by adding a suitable motor and ESC.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by Lightmare
Joined Feb 2013
34 Posts
Hi Gert!

If you want to go vertical with >51m/s and a very affordable setup, you might want to take a look to this post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2359092

Best regards,

Dirk
Lightmare is offline Find More Posts by Lightmare
Old Mar 03, 2015, 03:49 AM
Find More Posts by GertF
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Hi Dirk,

Looks very interesting. What esc did you use?