HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2014, 04:22 AM
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Discussion
Multirotor Setup for mapping

I have been following reading the forums for several months now and found some really helpful information.

I would for a small conservation charity in the UK and we are planing to use a quad or hex to capture high resolution images to help us with some habitat surveys.

Based on much research we have ended up purchasing a canon SX240 HS and a pixhawk FC.

We h initially build a standard DJI F450 and put a gopro on the bottom, which has only just got us around 10 minutes flight time using a 3s 5000mah battery, which seems reasonable based on others experiences.

We haven't even put the canon on the 450 because we assume that the flight time will to low.

We would ideally like to build a suitable setup that could get us 10 - 15 minutes flight time using this camera? The current total weight of the quad included the canon camera is 1600g

I have come across so much information on this forums, about tweaks to props, batteries or frames, its really hard to work out what might work and we have a very limited budget so don't really have the luxury of trying loads of different options.

We are not wedding to a quad, but for various reasons it will need to be some sort of multirotor.

We aere wondering if it was possible to get more flight time out of the 450 with different motor prop combinations? rather than having to start with a completely new frame? It also seems that F550's don't seem to get very much better flight times either.

We would really appreciate real world setups and flight times.

Thanks in advance.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
mattpitts74 is offline Find More Posts by mattpitts74
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2014, 06:40 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpitts74 View Post
...snip... We aere wondering if it was possible to get more flight time out of the 450 with different motor prop combinations? ...snip...
I'm running a completely stock DJI f450 on 3s5000mah spinning 9x5 graupner props and get over 20minutes of flight time, 15 or so when carying GoPro Hero3 Black on the front (hard mounted) You should be getting more than 10minutes if the Voltage settings and Alarms are properly calibrated and set unless you are running Landing Gear and your model is on the heavy side.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 04, 2014, 06:00 PM
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Thanks freechip,
I do have the DJI plastic landing legs on the quad, I'm unclear about setting the votlage settings, would you be able to explain roughly where they should be and how I work out what level to set them?
mattpitts74 is offline Find More Posts by mattpitts74