HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:01 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
231 Posts
thanks guys for the info I guess i'll start looking around for the APM and Pixhawk.

I may have a bad board I get rx flash but tx flash at the usb (cirus)

thanks any way for the help and suggestion

Pixhawk px4 2.4.5 32 bit ARM Flight Controller w/ Led 7M GPS PPM I2C 3DR 915MHZ
I have read the the 32bit is better computing power this is just about $200 sounds right to you all?
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Last edited by sonnier00; Dec 14, 2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: ad mour info
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 06:20 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,244 Posts
You dont need a pixhawk, I would get a APM first unless you are planning on building a very big quad or octacopter it is not needed
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:12 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlib17 View Post
APM clone have only ONE advantage - software compatibility.
Rest of stuff you posted is simply false: APM and Crius use almost identical ICs. Boards are of cause different, APM have dataflash and pin layouts are not the same. But - it's almost same MCU and same sensors. That's why mpng was possible in a first place.

The apm and Crius almost use the same sensors but how they are connected is different, apm uses spi and Crius uses I2c, I2c uses much more cpu than spi and the missing ppm encoder chip adds to the cpu load since its being done on the main 2560 chip instead of an extra ATmega32u2.

This is why the Crius boards need their own HAL because the hard ware is too different.

Also apm is more than enough unless your flying an octocopter
geofrancis is offline Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:01 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Mar 2014
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis View Post
The apm and Crius almost use the same sensors but how they are connected is different, apm uses spi and Crius uses I2c, I2c uses much more cpu than spi and the missing ppm encoder chip adds to the cpu load since its being done on the main 2560 chip instead of an extra ATmega32u2.

This is why the Crius boards need their own HAL because the hard ware is too different.
Wrong again. Both i2c and spi are implemented in hardware, so CPU load same for both. ppm is _also_ done in HW on both. Pinout is different thus another Hal.
Xlib17 is online now Find More Posts by Xlib17
Old Dec 20, 2014, 09:01 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
488 Posts
AIO and GPS packages for sale in Oz For sale thread.

Please delete - all sold :-)
Thank you
pheonix3 is online now Find More Posts by pheonix3
Last edited by pheonix3; Dec 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 06:07 AM
Fix it till its broke!
Joined Feb 2010
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Wrong again. Both i2c and spi are implemented in hardware, so CPU load same for both. ppm is _also_ done in HW on both. Pinout is different thus another Hal.
the crius boards are also missing the ppm encoder chip, but the hardware issues are eclipsed by the incompatibility with mission planner/apm planner almost none of the configuration pages work and almost all the settings have to be changed manually in the "all parameters" page.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 03:47 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Mar 2014
102 Posts
Quote:
the crius boards are also missing the ppm encoder chip
True. If you need PPM - go for APM board.

Quote:
... almost none of the configuration pages work and almost all the settings have to be changed manually in the "all parameters" page.
I truly have no idea what are you talking about: normal calibration and status pages work. Why wouldn't they? This part have nothing to do with HW and uses same source as ardupilot. You know that both mpng and ardupilot are open-source, so you can see this for yourself, right?

That said, if given choice today, I would go for APM. For me reason is simple - APM has schematics available, which makes possible to rewrite software the way I see fit. Doing so for MPNG require some reverse-engineering work, which is completely unnecessary.
Xlib17 is online now Find More Posts by Xlib17
Old Dec 22, 2014, 04:39 AM
Fix it till its broke!
Joined Feb 2010
1,056 Posts
Quote:
True. If you need PPM - go for APM board.

I truly have no idea what are you talking about: normal calibration and status pages work. Why wouldn't they? This part have nothing to do with HW and uses same source as ardupilot. You know that both mpng and ardupilot are open-source, so you can see this for yourself, right?

That said, if given choice today, I would go for APM. For me reason is simple - APM has schematics available, which makes possible to rewrite software the way I see fit. Doing so for MPNG require some reverse-engineering work, which is completely unnecessary.
Your missing the point with the ppm encoder, it's needed if you use a normal receiver since the main 2560 takes ppm, an apm uses a separate chip to do the pwm > ppm encoding but since the Crius doesn't have that chip they then have to run that code on the main chip adding to the processor load.

And most of the settings don't work. I went through about a dozen versions of mission planner and apm planner spending about 6 months trying to get a quad to loiter with that board. Then when I finally got an apm clone 30 minute s if tweaking and I had it flying better than th Crius board ever had. Since then I have bought and flown another 12 apm clones without any problems other than the 3.3v regulator failing. But now I upgrade them all before I fly them to a 1000mA regulator with a capacitor.
Last edited by geofrancis; Dec 22, 2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 06:13 AM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
4,628 Posts
Quote:
Your missing the point with the ppm encoder, it's needed if you use a normal receiver since the main 2560 takes ppm, an apm uses a separate chip to do the pwm > ppm encoding but since the Crius doesn't have that chip they then have to run that code on the main chip adding to the processor load.

And most of the settings don't work. I went through about a dozen versions of mission planner and apm planner spending about 6 months trying to get a quad to loiter with that board. Then when I finally got an apm clone 30 minute s if tweaking and I had it flying better than th Crius board ever had. Since then I have bought and flown another 12 apm clones without any problems other than the 3.3v regulator failing. But now I upgrade them all before I fly them to a 1000mA regulator with a capacitor.
The AIOP v2 is an awesome board. Or should I say WAS an awesome board last year. It STILL makes the best MultiWii board you can buy.

Would I use it for APM:Copter? not even a remote chance.

Problem is the cost is no longer a driving force as you can get a new APM for the price of a new Crius. But if you only plan on running MW I'd still take this over any of the MW boards out there. That all said I haven't run multiwii forever so I don't know the state of the code these days but "if" for some reason i ever wanted to this is still the board I'd use.
TheQuestor is offline Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Dec 22, 2014, 06:59 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,244 Posts
I done a lot of work and tweaking with the different variants of these boards, the Hobbyking AIO and both Crius v1 & 2
I have all of them flying just as good as my APM's.
If I had a new Crius board here now I could set it up just as good in 10mins, only because I now know what to do and have all the known working files to flash and update it.

They all have a perfect loiter, RTH and mission flying ability, some APM modes dont work like Drift, Auto Tune, but all of the settings you need to get these boards flying well using Megapirate and Mission Planner are there.

To get a good loiter, you have to use an external compass which means on the HKAIO and Crius Ver 1 you have to physically remove the internal compass chip off the board. There is no way for the internal compass to work reliably unless you can mount the board high enough to be above the motors.

Would I by more ? no, only for one simple reason cost, I can now buy a APM clone for same price, which dosnt need any messing with arduino flashing, all the mission planner features work, has a much better working barometer and it is just so much easier when adding externals like GPS/Arming leds, buzzers, 3dr radios etc.

If The APM's were still $100 I would keep buying the Crius board but probably the V2 as it is a better board with simple means of disabling internal compass.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Dec 24, 2014, 05:57 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Oct 2008
67 Posts
hi everybody
is there anybody who uses a CRIUS AIOP with Arduplane?
With the flashtool, the 2.76 version is available but it is impossible to connect the board to Mission Planner..
mathieu974 is offline Find More Posts by mathieu974
Old Jan 10, 2015, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Perhaps an odd question, but which pins on the Atmega 2650 is the status leds connected to? The C led seems to be connected to digital pin 13, but what about the other leds A and B?
LTve is offline Find More Posts by LTve