Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:22 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Gallery
Laser Arts P-51 Mustang Electric

Laser Arts is proud to announce our new P-51 electric park flyer. This really is a park flyer, but if you want some speed, itíll give you that as well.

I didnít like the offerings of P-51ís when I started to design the plane. They were ugly, heavy, didnít fly very well, or all of the above combined .... they just didn't suit my tasts. The plane spans 37Ē and is 1/12 scale. We tried to keep as many scale details as possible, while at the same time, keeping it as light as possible. It flies beautifully and is very stable. It can fly nice, slow, and sedate, or crank the throttle for some higher speed fun. With the Himax 2015-xxxx, it pretty much has unlimited vertical.

Construction is laser cut balsa and plywood. Kits will include wheels, pull-pull hardware, and other misc. hardware so you donít have to make trips to the hobby shop.

The plane in the video is the heaviest Iíve built so far, ending up with 1.5 oz of paint. (I was in a hurry and you can tell) The weight ranges have been 17 oz to 19.5 oz AUW with a 5oz battery pack. Thatís with 5 servos AND retracts! Also, thatís not using the lightest equipment available.

SPECS:
Wingspan: 37 in
Wing Area: 254 sq in
Weight in the video: 19.5 oz (1.5 oz in paint! OOPS!)
Wing Loading in video: 11 oz/sq ft
Equipment: 5 ea. HS-55 servos
Hitec 555 Rx
Phoenix 25 Brushless ESC
Himax 2015-5400 w/GWS ďDĒ Gearbox (recommend 2015-4100 for 4-blade operation)
3S 2050 mAh LiPo (Overkill at 5 oz!)
GWS ďblueĒ Retracts
DuBro 1-3/4Ē Wheels
ĹĒ Tailwheel

The video isnít all that great, but it gives you an idea of how it performs. I was very rusty, shaking, it was windy as all get-up, and it was the first flight on that particular plane. Iíll try to get some more video when itís calm in the next couple days.

I just found out that I lost my instructions and pictures for the instructions, as I went to get pictures to include here Ö They must have got deleted somehow in transferring between the laptop and PC. Wow, I didnít expect that. Well, Iíll build another up and post the pictures here.

I expect to have it release about July 10th or so. Price should be about $79 or so.

www.LaserArts.com

P-51 VIDEO (~4MB)

VIDEO 2 (~4MB)
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Last edited by Mountain Models; Aug 08, 2005 at 12:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:23 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Some Images ...
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:24 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
More images (all I have left from my missing instructions manual ....
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:25 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
The tailwheel is fixed, but with the nice shaped fin and rudder, it has plenty of authority for takeoff and landing!

Plastics include a 1-piece cowling with the exhaust stacks glued on each side, 2-piece radiator scoop, detailed cockpit and canopy.
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:33 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
Brian, I was wondering how you were going to edit that landing. Considering conditions, I think I would be lucky to land at all. If you listen to the wind in the video, you'll know what I mean.

This is a sweet plane. Because of the 20+mph gusts at the field, I chose not to fly it but I hope to as soon as the wind gets below 12 or so. The plane flew with a solid feel and I don't think anyone will be disappointed by it.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:33 PM
Mister Mulligan
NJ
Joined Aug 2004
31 Posts
Wow! Any idea about approximate cost?
D. Rodil is offline Find More Posts by D. Rodil
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:39 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
Hey! Designed in retracts! My wish come true! Looking forward to it. Nice job.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:43 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Nice! Between you and Doug, I won't need to go out of state to get my models. I want one. I may want two. What all will $79 include?

That is one of the best small scale P-51s I've seen so far. Nice job.
gandharvas is offline Find More Posts by gandharvas
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:45 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
When can I get one?
m00se is offline Find More Posts by m00se
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:46 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
Flying it with a lighter battery (1320-1700mah) and an outrunner motor might make it a few oz lighter.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Jul 05, 2005, 12:58 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandharvas
Any price estimates yet?
That is one of the best small scale P-51s I've seen so far. Nice job.
Wow, thanks! I updated the first post, it should be around $79.00 Let me know what you all think of the price.

I did have to make a couple scale concessions. The tip chord is slightly bigget, which in combination of washout got rid of any unwanted tip stalling. The stab is built up flat instead airfoiled, so people had an easier time with it and didn't get the incidence off. Other than that and the airfoil, the plane follows the scale lines as precisely as I could trace the referenc drawings. The rear of the fuse even has that nice teardrop shape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChip
Flying it with a lighter battery (1320-1700mah) and an outrunner motor might make it a few oz lighter.
Easilly a couple ounces lighter. I just checked my file and the lightest one was below 16 ounces. That battery for the video was WAY overkill! But I wanted the weight for the wind and the duration for filming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoClimber
Brian, I was wondering how you were going to edit that landing.
Well, I screwed up and the gust didnít help either, so I figured thereís no shame in being honest Ö now if I can just remember to use rudder on landings, Iíd be okay.
Old Jul 05, 2005, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandharvas
What all will $79 include?
That will include all the laser cut wood of course, plastics (canopy, cockpit, radiator, cowling, exhaust stacks), fixed gear wire, main wheels (1-3/4" DuBro), tail wheel, wheel bushings & keepers, pull-pull hardware and wire, aileron control rods, plans, instructions, canopy magnet, and LASER CUT stars and bars for the sides and wings. (From Solar Trim)

Needed to finish: radio equipment, y-harness (ailerons), motor, gearbox, battery, spinner and prop, covering, glue, sandpaper, etc.
Last edited by Mountain Models; Jul 05, 2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2005, 01:15 PM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberwein
That will include all the laser cut wood of course, plastics (canopy, cockpit, radiator, cowling, exhaust stacks), fixed gear wire, main wheels (1-3/4" DuBro), tail wheel, wheel bushings & keepers, pull-pull hardware and wire, aileron control rods, plans, instructions, canopy magnet, and LASER CUT starts and bars for the sides and wings. (From Solar Trim)

Needed to finish: radio equipment, y-harness (ailerons), motor, gearbox, battery, spinner and prop, covering, glue, sandpaper, etc.
What an amazing deal!

Any approximate time frame for release?

Geof.
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Old Jul 05, 2005, 01:29 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morb
Any approximate time frame for release?
About the 10th of this month ... or so. I just found this morning that I lost the manual, so I have to do annother build, take photos, and create it again. Along with misc. things. All materials are in stock ready to build kits though ... so not long.
Old Jul 05, 2005, 02:28 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberwein
That will include all the laser cut wood of course, plastics (canopy, cockpit, radiator, cowling, exhaust stacks), fixed gear wire, main wheels (1-3/4" DuBro), tail wheel, wheel bushings & keepers, pull-pull hardware and wire, aileron control rods, plans, instructions, canopy magnet, and LASER CUT stars and bars for the sides and wings. (From Solar Trim)

Wow! That sounds pretty good to me. Please put my name down on the list if you have one, I want one.
gandharvas is offline Find More Posts by gandharvas