HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:29 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Alert
Lost quadcopter near Galleria Drive & Akers Mill - Reward if found

This afternoon I was flying my quad near the corner of Akers Mill Road & Galleria Drive when I lost sight of it. I pushed full throttle, hoping to see it rise up but I never did. Spent the last six hours with a flashlight, battery, video receiver, and monitor walking around the properties from Cobb Galleria to Akers Mill shopping center.

I've spoken to quite a few of the security guards at the buildings and no one has seen it. I think it may be somewhere between the Wavery hotel, Akers Mill shopping center, and Cobb Energy.

The Copter is a flame wheel 450, it has a Spektrum 8000 receiver, GoPro Hero2, Naza-M & GPS, and a Paralinx 5.8Ghz video transmitter. I would love to get this camera back and am offering a reward if anyone manages to find it.

The GoPro was running, so if someone local picks it up hopefully they will figure out how to look at the video and ID myself and my building.

Thought about checking local hobby shops, but we don't have too many around here.

Thanks
Justin
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
Last edited by justinlee1; Jan 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:41 PM
One with the machine
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2010
389 Posts
map of the area ?

Where do you think it crashed?

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CDAQ8gEwAA
SuperFPVflyer is offline Find More Posts by SuperFPVflyer
Last edited by SuperFPVflyer; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:43 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
3,938 Posts
The million dollar question......

Was your name and phone number on it?

You would be surprised how many people actually get a call and reunite with their planes when people find it. 4 people I know personally have gotten their aircraft back because of having their contact info and "reward if found" listed on it.

Pecan patch tapes a dollar bill on his and with a note that says "there is $20 more where this one came from". It worked.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:56 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
The million dollar question......

Was your name and phone number on it?

You would be surprised how many people actually get a call and reunite with their planes when people find it. 4 people I know personally have gotten their aircraft back because of having their contact info and "reward if found" listed on it.

Pecan patch tapes a dollar bill on his and with a note that says "there is $20 more where this one came from". It worked.

It worked Twice!! I will always have my contact info on my FPV machines.

Good Luck tho.....
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:04 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,309 Posts
this sucks justin i was hoping for a text saying you found it. Good luck hopefully it shows up or somebody turns it in
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:40 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,130 Posts
It could easily be on a building's roof... I used to work at Galleria 75 (3200 Cobb Galleria Parkway) and had a few close calls with putting profile planes and helis on the roof over there.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,780 Posts
I know this doesn't help now, but 1+ for the phone number/reward on your FPV rig.
Make sure to do it on your next one. Good luck with the SAR.

Like Ludo said, show us on the map your location when you lost it and we can meet up there and see if we can spot it with one of our rigs.

Matt
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:10 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
please post the launch coordinates - and also where you think it was when you lost it. I'll help u find it. I'm 4 for 4 on recoveries. --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745199
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Guys, thank you. Wow.

I'm wrangling both kids today so it took a little while to get to the office.

To answer the million dollar question, No. I didn't have a name, phone number, AMA number, or any discerning way of contacting me. I knew better, and made an idiot mistake to have flown this way without it. I was so eager to try this video rig that I didn't think it through. Should have had contact info with a reward plug, should have picked a different place to fly, even though I had intended to stay within line of sight. Should have made it more clear to my spotter not to take his eyes of the target. Should not have attempted this with a borrowed Hero 2 camera and video transmitter that I have to replace. All things I should have known, and I'm highly embarrassed. I shouldn't have let excitement cloud better judgement. Ugh...

Here is the location on Google Maps. Sorry, but I'm not sure how to get this as GPS coordinates: http://goo.gl/maps/3f5QD

Last saw the quad flying over the parking deck at the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations where I work.

I've also posted a cellphone video that was taken of the flight. I figure that being able to see the wind pattern might be helpful. It was blowing Southeast, which is up the hill to the right in this video. The video ends about a minute before losing the quad, which was traveling NorthEast over the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations parking deck when the video feed dropped. I was looking at the monitor and the person spotting the quad was looking elsewhere. I stopped movement on the right stick, but failing to see it I put it into full climb, expecting to se it pop up from behind one of the buildings but it never did. After a couple of minutes I put it into Return to Home mode but obviously it didn't make it back.

The wind is blowing Southeast in the video, which makes me think if the quad didn't get lost somewhere really close to my building, then it may have drifted somewhere further towards the Akers Mill shopping center area, or further towards Professional Parkway and Cobb Energy Center. Also, the quad was in Attitude mode.

Losing the Quadcopter (1 min 30 sec)

Finally, here's a picture of the quad minus the video stuff that was attached:

My phone number (if needed) is (404) 384-1779. Texts work on the same number.

Thanks for any help that's offered, and I'll gladly offer a cash reward if someone is able to locate it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
SuperFPVFlyer, that's very close to where I last saw it. It was a little closer to the parking deck at 700 Galleria Parkway SE 30339.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Sentry, thanks for the offer. I appreciate that.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:00 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
The good thing is that they come straight down. The bad part is that you throttled up for 2 minutes. I'll see what i can do in Google Earth
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
I appreciate it. It definitely wasn't my finest hour...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:12 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,780 Posts
dont be embarrased at all. we all loose stuff, crash, do the walk of shame. No worries

But, chalk it up as a learning experience, as Im sure you have.
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Quick update: Got a good pair of binoculars and permission to scan from the roof of the 700 building. I feel confidant that it's not on any roof from the Waverly, Men's Warehouse, 100 & 600 building or parking deck, Embassey Suites, or shop in the Akers Mill shopping center.Going to look further along Akers Mill towards 75. Got a good look into the local treeline and landscape areas and didn't see it.