Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:36 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,516 Posts
Jack, I was not sold on RDS in the form that Harley brought them out. But these much more precisely engineered versions are tight and actually less stress on the servo than a linear pushrod is. It is really impressive when you see one of these ships or an F3B ship that you pull camber or reflex, and it is perfect everytime.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:59 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Allright guys,

Still at work, just finished up my left wing. Just under 560 grams... 559.4 RTF.. wired, RDS installed, servo hatches installed. I took some pics, but there's really not much to look at except a servo sitting in a servo bay. I'll post those tomorrow. I went with 55 degree bends on the flaps, 40 degree, and 30 degree bends root to tip. This is what Jiri will sell them with. So the customer will not be bending wire. I was fortunate and I have a great deal of flap, maybe 70-75 degrees with no binding. I know it's not 90... but with the six servos, you WILL NOT NEED IT. (Or want it) My other one gets maybe 65 degrees, and it just stops. I can't wait to fly this one.

The RDS installation is intimidating at first... then you do it. And it's soooooo easy. Much easier than a normal install. It's hard to screw it up.

Pics to follow tomorrow...

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:36 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,429 Posts
Still nothing on the SUSA page ? checking daily ................ more specs/price etc.
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new plane
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:19 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,299 Posts
Just email Bob at SUSA for the price. The specs are most likely to show up here first. They don't have a webmaster working there so it takes time to add new products.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
ADS-initial discussions had the price at 2295, but I'm not sure if that is final. Bob doesn't have any images or data to put up yet.

Specs on the wing- 3.7 meters.
Sections- as with everything nowadays, modified everything and optimized for each span position. Modified JW section at the root, transitions quite quickly to modified Drela sections.
My guess for an AUW for initial production versions will be 65-68 oz: servo/CG/builder dependent.

I've got quite a bit of time on the first prototype. Being the first proto, it's heavier than the production versions will be. It's right at 73.5 ounces. The performance impresses even me. The sink rate is amazing. It's much floatier than I expected. It slows to a crawl for landing. Partly due to the section choices, and partly due to the increased usable flap span. I'm still learning it, but the plane gets better every time I fly it.

On the one I'm building now, (testing a lighter construction) I'm working hard to keep the weight down. I think 58 oz is possible, nose weight dependent. I need lighter wires... I added more weight in wire than servos in the wings...

Servo install pics to follow this eve.

D
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Does anyone know how to post pics directly from my iPhone? You guys could follow along much quicker if that can happen.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:13 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Does anyone know how to post pics directly from my iPhone? You guys could follow along much quicker if that can happen.
Try: Choose manage attachments, at bottom under additional options? New tab should open And upload. You are limited to 300kb though per post so maybe not worth the hassle cos you got lots to post yeh?
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,429 Posts
Thanks Daryl great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
ADS-initial discussions had the price at 2295, but I'm not sure if that is final. Bob doesn't have any images or data to put up yet.

Specs on the wing- 3.7 meters.
Sections- as with everything nowadays, modified everything and optimized for each span position. Modified JW section at the root, transitions quite quickly to modified Drela sections.
My guess for an AUW for initial production versions will be 65-68 oz: servo/CG/builder dependent.

I've got quite a bit of time on the first prototype. Being the first proto, it's heavier than the production versions will be. It's right at 73.5 ounces. The performance impresses even me. The sink rate is amazing. It's much floatier than I expected. It slows to a crawl for landing. Partly due to the section choices, and partly due to the increased usable flap span. I'm still learning it, but the plane gets better every time I fly it.

On the one I'm building now, (testing a lighter construction) I'm working hard to keep the weight down. I think 58 oz is possible, nose weight dependent. I need lighter wires... I added more weight in wire than servos in the wings...

Servo install pics to follow this eve.

D
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new plane
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:52 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Allright kids. Directly from my iPhone doesn't seem to work for me. Only accepts one image at a time... sooooo.... at my laptop now...

Notice the aileron servo. Wing is quite thin there, so I don't use the frame or the bearing. (I'm too impatient to fiddle with it) I've had good results with my first one done like this, and just bonding the servo in, and then bonding the RDS coupler directly to the servo spline. Works well, and still super tight. I know, I know... but if you guys are breaking aileron servos, you're REALLY doing something wrong...

If I ever would need to get the servo out, I can heat up the coupler with a soldering iron, slide it off the spline, and pop the servo out. Notice I don't use much 5 minute.

It's very exciting to see it all working... not too exciting to see pics of a servo in a wing though... sorry bout that.

D
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Sorry I haven't been posting build pics. There's just nothing to build... Just dropping servos in it. I could post a pic of gluing the ball onto the Vtail drive rod... Or of my flawless soldering joints... I'll get a few pics of the final install in the nose.

Finished the model late last night. Just need to button up a couple of things this morning, then off to fly in the snow. Lets hope I can feel my fingers. The goal for flight testing today is to trim the model out, and get close on the ele>flap mix. I'll post some pics and weigh the thing today.

D
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:24 AM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
384 Posts
What kind of servo connection did you use from the wings to the fuse & Rx?
rc4fun is offline Find More Posts by rc4fun
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
DUN - Done

Vixen #2 is done. DUN - Done! Got the opportunity to fly it for a bit today in the midst of very light snow falling. Lift was pretty good, really.

The model finished out at 60.3 ounces, and still quite stiff. I may still be able to get more noseweight out of it. It was a bit stable for me. I didn't have a set of Jiri stabs, but I had previously had a set of stab molds made so I could play with different lay up schedules. Sooo... you'll notice the stabs don't match. It still looks cool.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:14 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,299 Posts
DP what's IPA?

R,
T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:02 PM
Australia, WA, Perth