HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,161 Posts
The "pot" (potentiometer) is adjusted with a small screw located along one of the wire runs on the unit. If memory serves, it only adjusts one side to equal the throws. It's a finite adjustment only. Major adjustments are done with the Tx or mechanically. Very simple. Good luck.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:51 PM
Zeus
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
wing rod

I am having 2 problems that are keeping me from doing the finish work on my Windlord. The 1/4 inch music wire wing rod that runs through the center section and into each wing panel is too tight of a fit. It's a long wing rod. I suspect that the problem is that the rod is not perfectly straight. I have more music wire, but it is not perfectly straight either. Do I file down the rod until it fits smoothly? Does anyone have other ideas?
jdveirin is offline Find More Posts by jdveirin
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:55 PM
Zeus
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
elevator throw

The Y-harness and servo reversers seem to work okay. I hooked the equipment up and taped the spoilers and elevators in place for testing. The spoilers work well. The elevator has way too much throw. The transmitter I plan to use does not have dual rates. Does anyone have any ideas about how to reduce the elevator throw?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:07 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
423 Posts
jd

longer horns on elevator, shorter horns at servo !

Ross
harborflyer is online now Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:09 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,450 Posts
I would go with a longer horn. Let it stick up above the top of the wing.
Mine has the hole about 1/16" below the top surface, if I did it again I would go higher.
I had to reduce throws quite a bit, which means you lose servo torque and resolution.

And use the arm on the servo that lets you get the pushrod closest to the pivot.

As far as the wing tube, any chance you bent the tube when you glued it in?
Perhaps you could try buying a 1/4" reamer and run it into the tubes?

If it really is music wire should be too hard to file, but you could spin it up in a drill and sand it down a bit with emery cloth.

FWIW, we will have a club TD contest tomorrow, I will use my Windlord in RES

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:18 PM
Zeus
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
elevator throw

I moved the connector on the servo arm to the hole closest to the servo. The throw is still excessive. But, I don't like the look of running the linkage outside the wing. So, I plan to move the elevator stick very little. On RES sailplanes, you rarely move the elevator stick much anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:17 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,681 Posts
Hmmmm, on My RES sailplanes I use the elevator all the time. That's what I'm turning with usually.

I love the Windlord, and It's on my bucket list. Regarding your transmitter not having dual rates, if I were you I'd invest in one that has dual rates for more reasons than just this issue. I use it all of the time and just about every airplane that goes up a string. Low rates while it is goin up, and then low/high depending on the flying conditions or landing challenges.

Except for some of the cheap park flyer radios, I havent actually seen a modern radio that doesn't have dual rates. What are you using?
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:28 AM
Zeus
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
radio equipment

When I say I don't move the elevator much on my RES sailplanes, I mean the stick is not pushed very far. With the throw I think I will have on the Windlord elevator, I suspect I will either not move the elevator stick very far or I will do a lot of loops

My radios are "retro" in keeping with the good old designs I fly - Futaba 4NBL. Lest you think I shun modernity, only one of my 4 channel Futaba radios is AM. I use the tiny Berg receivers since they fit in the fuselage so easily.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,681 Posts
I got accused last weekend of being too retro flying my Sagitta 900 with a Hitec7 with 2.4 module.
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:22 PM
Zeus
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
dual rates on launch

Since I do not have dual rates, I use elevator trim instead of the stick on launch and that works fine. I have a lot of elevator throw on all my sailplanes and they are very responsive to the elevator.