HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the extreme altitude and thin air. There have been a couple of guys living at high altitude with S107 co-axial helis that also said their flight times were pretty short compared to other people at lower altitude. If you ever have a chance to fly it at the bottom of the mountain, then maybe you can see that's probably the issue.
Man this sucks, another thing I now hate about high altitude! I guess it's time to stock up on batteries!
kbohip is offline Find More Posts by kbohip
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 01:11 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,433 Posts
Yet another good reason to stay beside the coast, at the sea level.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old May 12, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,433 Posts
Flybar striking canopy -- cut the canopy?

Just thinking aloud here... one way to avoid flybar strikes is to reduce the height of the canopy. There is this section of the canopy with scratch marks of the flybar. Maybe if we can cut away this part, the flybar will not hit the canopy during sudden directional changes.

Has anyone tried doing this? Any pictures of the mod?
Old May 12, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Just thinking aloud here... one way to avoid flybar strikes is to reduce the height of the canopy. There is this section of the canopy with scratch marks of the flybar. Maybe if we can cut away this part, the flybar will not hit the canopy during sudden directional changes.

Has anyone tried doing this? Any pictures of the mod?
I have thought about this, but it would need some way to cover up the cuts? Also then you have to worry about the circuit board sticking out.

I thought about buying another canopy just to try this out.

On a side note, has anyone else tried adding some weight to the front? it seemed to help mine move forward better, counter the long tail shaft and extra rear weight.
mustangman65_79 is offline Find More Posts by mustangman65_79
Old May 12, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,433 Posts
I have problems with forward flight. It can fly forward real quickly out of the box. The additional weight is no good for flight time.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:22 AM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
555 Posts
There are a couple of things you have to do to get the V911 to fly properly on a 9X
  1. Go into the sub trim menu and set the subtrim for the throttle at -35
  2. then go into the reversing menu and reverse the throttle, and ailerons.
  3. After that you can go into the dual rates and expos and play with them to get it responding how you want

I would go more into detail with pictures of my set up, but my batteries are dead from playing on the sim all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan.kichizi View Post
I got the V911 today, and I've bound it with a new, unmodified Turnigy 9x. In short, my problem is that when the throttle stick is all the way down, the heli is still spinning the rotors.

As I increase the throttle on the TX, the heli responds correctly, but I can't make it do nothing when I have the TX at zero throttle.

When I go to "display" on the Turnigy 9X, the throttle channel shows what looks like it's on "throttle hold", that is, when the throttle stick is centered, the bar graph shows zero, and then it goes negative if I bring the stick down and positive if I bring the stick up. I don't know if that's pertinent to my problem, but I don't know how to change it either.

I don't have any other transmitter I could use on the V911, and I don't have any other heli I could use with the 9X transmitter.

Do I need to somehow calibrate my transmitter, or did I get a faulty V911?
SG Mason Knives is offline Find More Posts by SG Mason Knives
Old May 12, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Sep 2007
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman65_79 View Post
...but I see that my brass gear is also wearing out, where do I get another one?
Cheaper, easier to replace the motor (comes with a gear installed).

If the brass is worn out, the motor is probably tired too.

Pulling and installing pinions requires special tools.

Just buy a $5 motor...
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old May 12, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Sep 2007
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
Ok, just timed 4 different flights. They were all only about 2 minutes before the battery went dead. Something has got to be wrong here.
Try lubing the motor shafts (hold upside down and add one drop of thin lubricating oil where the shaft enters the motor housing. Let it sit a bit.

Add one drop to the bottom of the swash.

And finally, one drop on the top of the nylon gear at the center where it rubs on the lower bearing.

For some it has worked magic.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old May 12, 2012, 07:45 AM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,452 Posts
I fitted a new motor to mine yesterday, I ended up going with one from a 9958 as it was cheaper and the pinion meshes as-is. That solved all of my problems; flights are now in the 6 to 7 min range and there's plenty of power. I fly until I need about 70% throttle to hold a hover and then land - before, I needed 100% to slowly sink to the floor.

Others have complained about the noise of this heli but I think it's pretty quiet, and I love the sound the blades make when flying a fast circuit.
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old May 12, 2012, 07:56 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle75 View Post
Can someone post a picture of the left lower corner of the PCB? One of the motor wire broke off and I am not sure to which pod it should go. I have a green PCB unlike the PCB in the first post.

maybe this helps. the red motor wire on mine goes to the upper left (red bat wire) and black goes to just above the silver antenna wire opposite side. the end of it looks white in my photo but thats just reflection. its soldered on to the pcb right to the left of a 3 pin transistor.

ps the black antenna wire below was added as part of a mod to double the range:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post21591294
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; May 12, 2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: link
Old May 12, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Feb 2007
527 Posts
On my first V911, I received this week, I pretty much liked except the flybar strikes.

So I chopped up an old 9958 canopy first to kind of see the differences and since I liked the blue/white canopy better, I put it along side to see if it could be moved. The 9958 canopy holes are pretty much same place but canopy is too short to cover board very well, by time I was done it was pretty hacked up (9958 canopy). There is a little bit of room to relocate it with only cutting out the bottom a liitle. It moves it roughly 1/8" closer and 1/8" down. Tried on high rates last night with aggressive flying but still had one flybar strike. But I think better than before. Plus I put grommets pn canopy and it still looks good.

Rather than weight I click in pretty much full fwd trim for aggressive outdoor flying then trim back for precise indoor flying. Seems to work good. Even on low rate/wide ball at night this thing gets moving. Lost orientation once and it was hauling towards house over my head and I turned it 1 foot from house. 9958 would have slid and crashed for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman65_79 View Post
I have thought about this, but it would need some way to cover up the cuts? Also then you have to worry about the circuit board sticking out.

I thought about buying another canopy just to try this out.

On a side note, has anyone else tried adding some weight to the front? it seemed to help mine move forward better, counter the long tail shaft and extra rear weight.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Last edited by jpconard; May 12, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Thanks for the replies regarding the FlySky FS-CT6B Tx. Although there was one positive reply, I think I'll go with the general consensus and just do the resistor mode on the stock Tx. I don't really want to spend the money on a 9x Tx, so I'll just buy a cheap USB Tx to use for flight sim.

Well I've got the V911 on it's way with a spare BNF + spare batteries etc, but have yet to order some of the spares and upgrades for it. Could someone confirm I'm on the right track with the following please?

Main Gear (Black Delrin) (Solo Pro) XNE010 - Miracle Mart http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7335

NE4260011 Main Shaft for Nine Eagles 260A solo pro - ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1207691703...ht_1757wt_1037
Not 100% sure if this is the carbon fibre version?

Flybar Rod Solo Pro 260 XNE006-A http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7037
Seems most places are out of stock. Found one or two sites that have the flybar with weights, but it's $14 delivered to UK and I don't want to spend extra for the weights if I'm not going to use them.

MSR paddles MSR005-B http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8593

Nine Eagles Bravo SX/320A Motor NE402320013A ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1108748452...ht_1261wt_1037

Then again, do I really need to get this stuff, especially if I'm getting a BNF for spares?
MrHavana is offline Find More Posts by MrHavana
Old May 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
Expert in indoor damage
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
I think I'm missing something...

I'm an absolute beginner ,flying only 3ch coaxial till now, and 2 weeks ago I ordered my first V911 from BG .
While waiting impatiently for the package, I visit quite often this forum , and suddenly I realized that most of the latest posts are about V911 problems - some related to design flaws (FB strikes) , and some related to QC issues .
So now I'm thinking : did I make the right choice ? As a beginner , I don't have the knowledge or the will to do fixes and mods just to make the heli work .
What do you think ?
stifa is offline Find More Posts by stifa
Old May 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stifa View Post
I'm an absolute beginner ,flying only 3ch coaxial till now, and 2 weeks ago I ordered my first V911 from BG .
While waiting impatiently for the package, I visit quite often this forum , and suddenly I realized that most of the latest posts are about V911 problems - some related to design flaws (FB strikes) , and some related to QC issues .
So now I'm thinking : did I make the right choice ? As a beginner , I don't have the knowledge or the will to do fixes and mods just to make the heli work .
What do you think ?
The things you are reading of are mostly from the more advanced owners who demand more out of this helicopter than it is designed for (I'm one of them) :P In normal flying conditions, it is unlikely that you will get FB strikes. While the QC issues are there, it is not probable that you would receive one. If you do, I'm sure BG would be more than happy to replace it for you. I said this way early on the thread and I'll say it again. I believe this helicopter to be the best beginner helicopter on the market today... it hits a sweet spot between cost, quality and performance. That said, it's not perfect..and I am very happy to see that everyone is contributing their mods and improving the heli as time goes on.

Enjoy it when you receive it, if you encounter any problems... feel free to ask it and I'm sure the guys here would be more than happy to provide solutions for you!

-James
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,433 Posts
Actually, I feel beginners are likely to get FB strikes while the experts are able to avoid them. When you just got the bird, you'll not be able to fly it smoothly. E.g. when you see your bird on route to hitting a wall and you rush to save it. You make sudden movements and "crack!" the FB hit the canopy. However with training, one should be able to know when to accelerate, when to slow down, when to bank, when to pull up, etc.

It is easier to avoid FB strikes indoors than outdoors. When there is a sudden gust of wind, and you can't react properly enough to reduce violent jerks, the heli will experience a FB strike and may send it falling down like a rock.