HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2015, 09:25 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,457 Posts
Discussion
My two new GWS Tiger Moths

With the cold weather slowing down flying, I have built 2 new Tiger Moths--a Pico Moth on floats and my very first Tiger Moth 400. Here are the photos. I can't wait to fly them. I love the Pico Moths and have now built 9 of them and the new Tiger Moth 400 was fun too--both have light wing loadings.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2015, 02:18 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,717 Posts
Hi Pat,

Thank you for posting these beautiful pictures of your loved PTM and TM400.
It's more than happy to view these pictures, these two moths are all well built and painted. I love the struts, brace wires and landing gears you made. I'd guess that you applied the plywood struts instead of the stock ones.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Jan 16, 2015, 09:19 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,457 Posts
Chen

I used the stock struts reinforced with carbon for the Tiger Moth 400. For the pico moth, I made all the struts with carbon rod and faired the inter planes with balsa.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:36 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,717 Posts
Hi Pat,

Thanks, I thought you applied the plywood instead. It's a very good idea for reinforcing the stock
struts by carbon fibers.

Chen
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:18 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,457 Posts
Chen I used flat carbon bar stock about 1/32 x 1/8 inch to reinforce the interplane struts. Test flew the plane a couple of days ago--no flight pics yet.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:07 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,717 Posts
Hi Pat,

Thank you for sharing what you did on those struts. Please be reminded to post the flight pics of your great TM400 on this thread and the Parkflyers one. Thank you

Chen
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:25 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,457 Posts
I test flew both of my new Tiger Moths yesterday and attempted to photograph them while flying--not easy to do with a big telephoto zoom lens, so I don't have really good photos yet, but here are some from yesterday. I will also post more photos in the future.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:06 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,717 Posts
Hi Pat,

Thank you for posting these nice photos of your two new Moths. The TM400 flying high one looks like a full scale Moth in the air. Very good job you did !

Chen
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:01 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,457 Posts
Thanks Chen! A number of folks here in the US are trying to buy Tiger Moth 400 planes but nobody has them in stock. It also seems Pico Moths and the Zero are out of stock too. Is GWS still making these kits?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 07:46 PM
Frankenmuth, MI
Joined Apr 2006
205 Posts
It appears that HeadsUp RC has the Pico Moth in stock.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/GWS-PICO...tem-GWS119.htm
61ahs is offline Find More Posts by 61ahs
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,457 Posts
Yes they appear to have them. I ordered 3 of them and one 400 last fall when they had a big sale -- I think it was $19 for the slope glider version of the pico Moth--that is the best one to buy if you are using brushless motors like the blue wonder, etc.
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,717 Posts
Hi Pat,

We have Pico TM and Zero kits available in GWS HQ in Taiwan, but TM400 has been sold out. I'm discussing the plan of a new batch with boss to see if he agrees with such batch soon.
But sorry to let you know that he told me before that Formosa kits will be with the priority first. I'll try to suggest the TM400 can be the second one.
Hopefully you could find out some of them from Caliber Hobby, www.caliberhobby.com in USA.

Thank you for your reminder.

Chen