HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2015, 06:59 PM
United States, CO, Caņon City
Joined Oct 2005
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
That is looking really cool. I am getting tired of looking at the nose of my SS on the monitor. Your setup looks good. Post more pics!

Have you seen David's mods?
http://rcexplorer.se/projects/2009/0...om-easystar-2/
Yeah, I ended up on his site after I finished the SS.
I ended up changing the motor, installing the adjustable motor mount, replacing the servos with 9g metal geared and adding the "Bixler 2' landing gear, I am really happy with how it turned out, unlimited vertical ability, pretty areobatic considering and super stable, I actually purchased a 3 axis gyro for it but after the maiden decided it wasnt necessary , my first FPV flight with fat shark Attitude goggles was nerve wracking and I would have lost it without a spotter, I have since put a little more down angle in the camera but will have to wait for better weather to get flight #2 in.
I am really surprised at how long it stayed in the air on a 2200, the timer hit 29 minutes before the motor shut down and I flew quite a bit of aerobatics and vertical climbs, I also did some soaring as well, it will cruise at 1/4 throttle so I think 40 minute filming flights are possible, and this at 5600 ft elevation.

Kinda off topic but kinda fun, I saw some locals out across the street from the house, zip tied a go-pro to my tricopter and went out in the freezing rain to entertain them, they seemed rather captivated and very curios.
Hope to get some interesting vids with the SS soon.

Locals very interested in tricopter areobatics (4 min 19 sec)
jjjlaudenslager is offline Find More Posts by jjjlaudenslager
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2015, 07:04 PM
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Whoops, Posted the above under another family members user name, O-well.
Denisesewa is online now Find More Posts by Denisesewa
Old Jan 19, 2015, 07:47 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,110 Posts
Looks good. What is the AUW? Just put a Eagle Tree Vector in my Ver 1 SS. Not sure of the weight but it flys like a pig. Vector makes it a smooth pig though. First FPV flight yesterday so the only help I would have for you there would be someone to learn with.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Jan 19, 2015, 08:10 PM
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Looks good. What is the AUW? Just put a Eagle Tree Vector in my Ver 1 SS. Not sure of the weight but it flys like a pig. Vector makes it a smooth pig though. First FPV flight yesterday so the only help I would have for you there would be someone to learn with.
Its 832 grams as it sits in the pictures with a 2200 mah battery. this is the motor I'm using >> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

with a plush 30 esc and 6x4E apc prop, cheap and effective.
It would be great to have a partner to learn FPV with, too far away though.
My next FPV flight will likely be with a 9 inch monitor rather than the goggles to see which seems more user friendly.
Which FPV system are you using?

I set the nose up with a tape hinge and magnets for ease access

Old Jan 19, 2015, 09:46 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
133 Posts
Locals very interested in tricopter areobatics (4 min 19 sec)

Wow! Are those deer or Herefords? Either way, they sure look well-fed to me! Neat video - I wouldn't object to a pic and a few words about your tricopter - it looks like a good flyer!

Very impressive duration with the 2200 battery, your HK motor must be more efficient than the stock RTF one. Also, I'll be interested to hear about your experience with the monitor vs. the goggles on your next FPV flight.
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:44 PM
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Since you asked, my tricopter is from "simplecopter.com" , it is the tricopter2.0 version, I also scratch built a mini and micro version as well as converted one to V-tail. I am so impressed with every aspect of these tri's and the company ( Matt Hall) that I sold my "sophisticated" quad and dont miss it at all. Cheap, almost crash proof, and super fun as well as a good FPV and video platform. Hall makes hour long build videos for all his copters, do the research, you will want to build one !

Here you will see how fun these things can be >>

Simplecopter.com Goes To The Beach (6 min 22 sec)