SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2015, 03:00 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,480 Posts
Rip

I had a catastrophic crash today - totaled the Mig 29

I was getting ready to land after performing some in flight tests to check how well the wing and control surfaces can withstand forces on rolls and flips. On decent she suddenly banked to the left and nose dived. I tried to recover by pulling back elevator and rolling hard left while throttling up to max but my efforts could not save the full power nose into the ground crash!! At least it was spectacular. NTSB has started an investigation but it could be a variety of things, including control surface failure after the maneuvers, radio glitch (using DSMX - not likely) or gyro gone bizzerk - again unlikely because I had four flights and all seemed to work fine. As the camera card was lost on impact, I will never know what failed.

Moving on - I will build Mig 29 (#2) and take into account all the lessons I have learned on this one. I really have learned a lot modding this model.
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2015, 03:05 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,780 Posts
That sucks!! Sorry to hear CMM. Is number 2 the same color scheme?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 02, 2015, 03:10 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
That sucks!! Sorry to hear CMM. Is number 2 the same color scheme?
I have a gray camo and a green camo.... I like the Green but the Green one is a PNP and has all the LX crap that I will not use. I may just go with the gray kit. Don't know yet... still looking into what the heck happened
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2015, 03:13 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,780 Posts
What stabilizer did you have in it? Did your batt survive? If so, did you check to see what voltage it had?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 02, 2015, 04:21 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
What stabilizer did you have in it? Did your batt survive? If so, did you check to see what voltage it had?
Guardian. Batteries survived and had 3.9v per cell. I would not rule out some form of glitch in my electronics. So far the elevator surfaces and servo links are still intact., as well as my right wing Aileron and both rudders. Left wing is destroyed so can't tell if one surface detached before impact or after.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2015, 07:23 PM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,834 Posts
Sorry for your loss MoMo.
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Jan 02, 2015, 10:02 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago View Post
Sorry for your loss MoMo.
Thank you. One door closes another opens... Mig 29 will be built again soon, only better
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2015, 10:34 PM
NEWPORT BEACH, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2001
408 Posts
Sorry to hear your loss, capt mo. That Mig29 had such a nice glassing job on it. Like you said, it only gets better.

Did you have any camera footage of the last flight?
Antaeus is online now Find More Posts by Antaeus
Old Jan 02, 2015, 10:53 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaeus View Post
Sorry to hear your loss, capt mo. That Mig29 had such a nice glassing job on it. Like you said, it only gets better.

Did you have any camera footage of the last flight?
I did but the impact ejected the memory card It would have been nice to see the final moments to see what happened. I restrain myself from lashing out at LX since I just don't know what happened. Best therapy is to build a new one asap LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2015, 01:42 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,521 Posts
Sorry for your loss CMM. Glad you have a good attitude about it though. They all really do have an expiration date.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Jan 03, 2015, 08:04 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Sorry for your loss CMM. Glad you have a good attitude about it though. They all really do have an expiration date.
Garry - thanks! Goes to show you that regardless of how many mods we make (none for you and so many for me) there is no guarantee! I don't mind rebuilding one again and this time I will try to avoid all the little mistakes here and there - great learning platform she was! It's the time factor that bothers me. My next build was going to be my Windrider 737 but it has to wait ! Can't have a Mig 29 missing from my hangar! LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:21 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,480 Posts
Mig 29 MK II

Tonight I started my second build. I salvaged what I could from MK I, which includes the ESCs, the EDFs, Motors and servos. I will check the servos one by one to make sure they are ok. I had a PNP kit so I did the un-ceremonial task of ripping all the electronics out, the retracts, the EDFs, motors and ESCs. The plane is now bare naked Ready to do surgery on her and install all the goodies

I am selling all these brand new electronics, including the servos, the EDF/Motor / ESC combo. I am also selling the stock retracts and wheels. Please let me know if you need them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:37 AM
NEWPORT BEACH, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2001
408 Posts
I will take the stock retracts and wheels.
Antaeus is online now Find More Posts by Antaeus
Old Jan 10, 2015, 02:43 AM
Texas
Joined Jul 2001
87 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap, Capt. MoMo! I've lost 3 jets within the last 3 weeks. An F5, Viper Jet and a Sea Vixen. First two were due to a battery issue and an elevator control lockout. And the last one was pilot error on a cloudy gray winter day.

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new still in the box PNP Mig-29, Green Camo version for sale, that I'm probably not going to get around to building/modding. Message me with any questions, if interested.
HardAbz is offline Find More Posts by HardAbz