SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:43 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
Haha! I was hoping it would make you guys green with envy! But although I'm really excited, I'm thinking it will take quite some time till Al's up to knocking out molds or plugs from this baby. I'm sure there will be plenty of bugs to sort out ... just working through the use of the different types of software sounds like a challenge to me.

Al hasn't stinted on the stepper motors, cutting motor and so on. He looked at cheaper options but wanted to do it properly. He's been scouring the CNC forum for ages (yes there is one and it's huge!) and as you can see, he's a dab hand with a heavy steel press and a Tig welder!

It has an 1100 x 700mm working area. But ... did you know, you can now set these things up for layering or staggering, which means that you could make a one-piece 3 meter wing if you wanted to ... the software will get it to cut one section, then you move the working piece in the bed to the next increment and it cuts the next section, and so on.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:00 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs View Post
Slap it on the edge of the work bench as is, hinges down, and cover the wing trailing edge with some masking tape to protect it. Then hit the ailerons (through the covering) with a sanding block until they follow the contour of the wing. Cover the bare wood with tape or some fresh film. No more drag and hopefully it'll take longer to bust'em.

BTW. I'm too jealous to comment about the cnc mill.
Yanno...I was thinking along the same lines...

Clamp some 1 1/2" steel strapping on either side of an aileron, and squeeze/crush the bugger into submission until it's the same profile as the TE of the wing.

Not sure how much the balsa will distort doing it this way, but it's only about 10 bucks worth of wood - which will probably be knackered when I try to pull the heat-film off anyways...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:02 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Haha! I was hoping it would make you guys green with envy! But although I'm really excited, I'm thinking it will take quite some time till Al's up to knocking out molds or plugs from this baby. I'm sure there will be plenty of bugs to sort out ... just working through the use of the different types of software sounds like a challenge to me.

Al hasn't stinted on the stepper motors, cutting motor and so on. He looked at cheaper options but wanted to do it properly. He's been scouring the CNC forum for ages (yes there is one and it's huge!) and as you can see, he's a dab hand with a heavy steel press and a Tig welder!

It has an 1100 x 700mm working area. But ... did you know, you can now set these things up for layering or staggering, which means that you could make a one-piece 3 meter wing if you wanted to ... the software will get it to cut one section, then you move the working piece in the bed to the next increment and it cuts the next section, and so on.
Way kewl

CNCzone.com by any chance..?

BJ
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:02 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Miners Rest
Joined Feb 2009
1,586 Posts
Repeat after me "sandpaper is my friend, sandpaper is my friend, sandpaper is my friend, ... "
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:08 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,738 Posts
Repeat after me "no it's not, no it's not, no it's not"...

And then "BUGGER - tennis elbow. Again. Can't even open a Stubbie now"

BJ

PS - it's not the sandpapering that bothers me. I've gotten used to that by now. It's the fact that it's all finished, covered, hinged, and in place now - and d!ckhead me didn't once check to see that the profile of the Aile's was flush with the TE of the wing THAT's what pisses me off...
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:32 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,319 Posts
Hey bj, did you say your hinges were on top? They should be on the bottom fora JDub so that gives you another reason to do the job. On the other hand, just go fly it!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,738 Posts
Full length fibre tape top and bottom on each aileron, Josh.

What do you mean by "hinges on the bottom for a JDub" ?

BJ
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:34 PM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Full length fibre tape top and bottom on each aileron, Josh.

What do you mean by "hinges on the bottom for a JDub" ?

BJ
BJ, have a look at this link.
Josh is referring to the bevel in the elevon. The elevon in the link is upside down for a JW. The elevon should touch the trailing edge at the bottom.

By the way, that's how I hinge all my foamies. Works very well.
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:11 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,319 Posts
hey bj. I just remembered you said the alevon stuck out on the bottom of the wing, so thought the hinge must be on the top (of the trailing edge). Apparently the airfoild goes better with the hinge on the bottom.
You could get a new razor blade and just cut off that over-hang, flush with the wing then just tape over it. The profile doesn't have to be sanded perfect.
How about some pics
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:35 AM
I hate propellors
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post

I'm interested in the linear supported rails and bearings. Where did they come from. There is an Aussie site with some and a chinese site. The Solsylva site comolained that ones they got from China were bent and the bearings rough. Thuis was several years ago. With the falling Aussie dollar I am tempted by the Chinese ones. Any advice???

Jerry
emufingers is offline Find More Posts by emufingers
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:40 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
Alan knows some guys who have CNC in their businesses, so he's done a lot of research through them and also CNCzone forum. I'm not sure exactly where he got these bits - he got it at a good price but he definitely avoided the cheaper stuff. I'll let him chime in if he gets around to looking on here.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:23 AM
REDCLIFFE AUSTRALIA
Joined Apr 2007
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emufingers View Post
I'm interested in the linear supported rails and bearings. Where did they come from. There is an Aussie site with some and a chinese site. The Solsylva site comolained that ones they got from China were bent and the bearings rough. Thuis was several years ago. With the falling Aussie dollar I am tempted by the Chinese ones. Any advice???

Jerry
Hi Jerry, After some advice from the cnc zone, Chai from linearmotionbearings has the best rails and lead screws from china for the price and can custom cut to suit ,just have to watch the china stepper drives and use gecko drives as these are a much better option although dearer.

Cheers Alan H
LIVEFIBRE is offline Find More Posts by LIVEFIBRE
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:13 AM
I hate propellors
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFIBRE View Post
Hi Jerry, After some advice from the cnc zone, Chai from linearmotionbearings has the best rails and lead screws from china for the price and can custom cut to suit ,just have to watch the china stepper drives and use gecko drives as these are a much better option although dearer.

Cheers Alan H
Thanks Alan. I had been looking at Chai's stuff and it is good to know it is good. Gecko's certainly have the best reputation, it is now time to decide if I can afford the set up. This Aussie dollar drop caught me on the hop just as I had decided to go ahead but was double checking quality. look like you got in just before the price shift.
Jerry
emufingers is offline Find More Posts by emufingers
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:20 AM
REDCLIFFE AUSTRALIA
Joined Apr 2007
39 Posts
yes the dollar was at about $ 1.04 when I bought. If you have a look on cnc zone on the Aus section, There is a good thread on a Steel router build may be on page two now with homemade rails etc to the progression to linear rails and purpose made spindle motor also from chai.

Cheers Alan H
LIVEFIBRE is offline Find More Posts by LIVEFIBRE
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:12 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
hey bj. I just remembered you said the alevon stuck out on the bottom of the wing, so thought the hinge must be on the top (of the trailing edge). Apparently the airfoild goes better with the hinge on the bottom.
You could get a new razor blade and just cut off that over-hang, flush with the wing then just tape over it. The profile doesn't have to be sanded perfect.
How about some pics
Here ya go...

(Closeups aren't all that flash)

Bottom hinge was done with the aileron flipped over and sitting on the top of the wing, then a single full-length run of fibre tape.

Top hinge was then just a single full-length run of fibre tape.

In the side-on's, you can see I didn't sand the bottom of the ailerons - so they stick out in a pointed 'V' a bit...

BJ

PS - the pics in that link Spotter - are they what you guys call 'Step Hinges' ?
Last edited by BJ64; Oct 05, 2011 at 06:21 AM.