Old Nov 04, 2006, 03:59 PM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
Build Log
Maxir SE Red kit - step by step

Hello everyone

I'm so happy i finally received my Maxir SE kit after waiting a whole month.
I decided to share my building steps with you, my english isn't good enought to describe it all so there will be a lot of pictures and much less text

I was suprised how the box is small once again after my Hornet 2 arrived almost two years ago. Here you have my hand for comparison Although it contains everything needed and a bunch of spares i ordered....Enjoy
U.S.U.L is offline Find More Posts by U.S.U.L
Last edited by U.S.U.L; Nov 04, 2006 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2006, 04:16 PM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
I wasn't impressed by the instruction manual, mainly because of poor quality and small size of images. I'd also like to see more text describing building steps. Fortunately there are nice pictures with cad drawings on LA's official website.

On a picture below there is everything i took out of the box. I was very suprised how the CF blades are light and looks like a bit fragile(remembering H2's blades). Also the quality of all plastic, aluminium and CF parts is great.
Old Nov 04, 2006, 05:27 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Awesome...good luck with the build...

Ken
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Nov 04, 2006, 06:07 PM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
Thanks Ken

It's time to start the build.
First i removed unnecessary material from holders and pressed the bearing into. I also prepared all parts for frame assembly, most time looking on that pretty and shiny red anodized aluminium halves
Old Nov 04, 2006, 06:29 PM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
Time to put it together, with mainshaft aligned(no sanding needed) and tight fit into bearings. Looking good
Old Nov 04, 2006, 07:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
Awesome thread. Keep it going!

-Kyle
arclite5 is offline Find More Posts by arclite5
Old Nov 04, 2006, 07:22 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
that RED looks fantastic...I guess I'll need to get another MaxiR SE...Honey...hide the checkbook!!!
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Nov 05, 2006, 03:42 AM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
Ken, what are you going to do with all those Maxirs?! Anyway you will empty LA's stocks for sure
Old Nov 05, 2006, 05:50 AM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
Now it is time for tail. I first measured cf rod/shaft and cut to proper length, then marked places where the bearing will rest. Manual says to glue them to cf shaft but i prefered to put a thin CA coating on it and then press the bearings on. It is much safer in case of moving or taking them off.
The hardest part was to press the pinions on both sides of shaft. I had to round the edges a little before proceeding.
I also prepared tailboom by sliding all parts on it.
Old Nov 05, 2006, 02:22 PM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
Next step - tail gearbox.
This is a very tricky one
First i had to file down steel shaft a bit, just so i could press the bearings on it. After puting all parts on the shaft and making sure there is a proper mesh between the pinions i closed the tail box by screwing on the upper halve. The most interesting was that after screwing it tight i couldn't get smooth turns. After few trys i took a sharp knife and wiped of a bit of material holding/surrounding all bearings when tailbox is closed. It worked and gave me nice smooth turns
Then i put the tailfin and pitch lever's holder on.
Old Nov 05, 2006, 05:25 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.U.L
Next step - tail gearbox.
This is a very tricky one
First i had to file down steel shaft a bit, just so i could press the bearings on it. After puting all parts on the shaft and making sure there is a proper mesh between the pinions i closed the tail box by screwing on the upper halve. The most interesting was that after screwing it tight i couldn't get smooth turns. After few trys i took a sharp knife and wiped of a bit of material holding/surrounding all bearings when tailbox is closed. It worked and gave me nice smooth turns
Then i put the tailfin and pitch lever's holder on.

This is by far the most difficult piece to build without the right tools. If I'd had a 3" C clamp and some 2-3mm brass tubes (for drifts), this part would have taken 15 minutes to build...instead it took like 3 hours of tapping with various striking implements (to be avoided at all costs..)...

Nice build so far USUL
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2006, 02:58 AM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
Now the slider and tail pitch lever - quick and painless
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:16 AM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
Ok, so now when the tail is ready to mount i will assemble the autorotation unit. I haven't seen anything that will hold oneway bearing isnide the bell so i decided to use blue locktite. I first put a plastic ring on the mainshaft, then maingear with auto and the crosspin. Everything went easy and i only had to round one of the crosspin's end to fit it in.
Old Nov 06, 2006, 05:56 AM
MaxiR, Sniper
Lansdale, PA, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,151 Posts
Was your one-way bearing loose? I've heard someone else say that also. On mine, they have all been a tight press fit and no locktite was needed.
Cobra is offline Find More Posts by Cobra
Old Nov 06, 2006, 06:16 AM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
615 Posts
I first thought it is tight but after few trys of puting it in and out i realized that locktite is a must. Otherwise oneway may start sliping inside bell and won't give all power to shaft.