HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:32 PM
30 RC's and counting
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2005
946 Posts
Discussion
800mah CommonSenseRC in Blade CX?

Has anyone tried one of these in a BCX yet? Do I need to modify the connector for it to work with the stock charger? Does it fit in the stock battery location? Should get a bigger battery (more mah) instead?
Bmr4life is offline Find More Posts by Bmr4life
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:39 PM
Just call me crash.
Joined Jan 2006
1,308 Posts
If you're talking about this one, you can't run it without modification to the existing battery tray, it's too wide. Additionally it may be too heavy with stock motors (46g). Dig around here, people are using the Dualsky's (2oz) with some success, but you're still going to have to do some hacking.
rocknbil is offline Find More Posts by rocknbil
Old Apr 27, 2006, 04:12 PM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2006
92 Posts
I contacted CommonSenseRC twice to ask the same question.

Once by e-mail -- no answer.
Once by leaving a phone message -- no answer.

Not a good sign about their customer service.

--Alan
Alan Kaf is offline Find More Posts by Alan Kaf
Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:00 PM
30 RC's and counting
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2005
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbil
If you're talking about this one, you can't run it without modification to the existing battery tray, it's too wide. Additionally it may be too heavy with stock motors (46g). Dig around here, people are using the Dualsky's (2oz) with some success, but you're still going to have to do some hacking.
46g to heavy for stock motors? The stock batt is 45g. Those Dualsky batts are 56g.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:53 PM
Joined Nov 2005
830 Posts
The commonsenserc batteries have the wiring reversed compared to the stock CX battery and charger. You have to swap the 2 outer pins (easy to do) or use an adapter cable (they sell the connectors).

There is some info on their site on swapping the pins. You can depress the metal part on the connector and pull the pin out of the connector. Be VERY careful not to short the wires together! You should pull one pin and wrap it with electrical tape, then pull and swap the other, then unwrap and insert the first.

Mike
Mike abcd is offline Find More Posts by Mike abcd
Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2006
20 Posts
Yes, I have the same ?, how do modify the battery holder to fit this battery. I have flown the battery under the belly w/ velcro to the body and battery w/ success.

The stock battery is 1.6 ounces and the common sense battery is 1.62 ounces. Not to worried about the weight. It is also well balanced. I'm thinking of using some foam on the under side of the battery jsut in case of crash landing.

I still would like to hear from others if they have succesfully moded the battery to fit internally...

Mike in AZ
mshaz is offline Find More Posts by mshaz
Old Apr 28, 2006, 03:37 AM
Great White North
Joined Dec 2005
695 Posts
My two cents worth

I found the commonsense batteries to be better than the stock battery for both the lama and BCX. after a full flight the batteries are barely warm to the touch wheras the stock batteries are very wam, not hot, but warm.

I'm borrowing some sensetive test equipment to do so real test in the near future and will report the findings when I have them.

There are 2 minor hicups with the CS batteries. the first is the size. Both the lama and CX need to be modded to carry the CS battery.

The second is the charge wire pinout. The two outside wires need to be exchanged with each other.

To do this, take a small screw driver and push down on one of the outside pins while gentlely pulling on the wire. I should come out easily. Bend this wire back out of the way, tape it up or just do something to protect it.

Repeat the above with the other outside wire. once removed, place that pin in the hole of the first one you removed, IF IT DOES NOT SNAP IN, IT"S NOT SECURE AND MAY COME OUT. MAKE SURE IT SNAPS IN. Take the first pin removed and place it in the second pins hole. Congrats you have just reversed the charge polarity on the battery.

To confirm everything is right, stick a paperclip into the middle hole. Connect the positive lead from a polarity protected volt meter to the paper clip. With the charge connector held steady, carefullly touch the negitive lead to either of the outside pins and note the polarity. Touch the other outside pin and note polarity again. Now repeat this with a OEM CX or Lama battery. All should read the same. If you also noted the voltage, cells with in the battery should be exactly the same or within .2 of each other. Anything more and it should be re balanced.

Robert
qbert55ca is offline Find More Posts by qbert55ca
Old Apr 28, 2006, 06:57 AM
Joined Feb 2006
175 Posts
BMR...

I have been using CSRC batteries in my Blade CX for several weeks now. I did not mod the heli at all...I just rubberband the battery to the underside of the battery holder (do it so the band forms an 'X' across the exposed underside of the battery.) Now and then I stare at the airframe and try to design a mod to the holder, but that project is well down on my list of things to do since I can fly just fine without it.

The mod to the balance charge adapter takes about two minutes...just be sure to insulate the first wire you pull, so there is no danger of a short.

I also bought several larger capacity batteries from CSRC...they had a deal where you could buy $89 worth of batteries, and they would throw in an $89 charger capable of charging 2 7.4V lipos at the same time. Good deal. After receiving the batteries, I had a question about the required connectors (the larger ones come with bare leads,) and I received a prompt answer from their customer service department, also known as "Mike."
scratchee is offline Find More Posts by scratchee
Last edited by scratchee; Apr 28, 2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:40 AM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2006
92 Posts
scratchee,

A few questions:

1) How does the battery life compare to the stock BCX battery?
2) Is the battery rubberbanded on the on the outside & under the rear body? I'm having trouble envisioning this...could you post a photo?
3) I see from the posting that connector wires must be reversed -- no problem, but are the charge & power connectors the same as the stock BCX batteries?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:17 AM
Joined Feb 2006
175 Posts
Alan...

I haven't done any "head to head" testing of the CSRC lipos. I fly until I sense a loss of power, then I land. I have never timed it. Voltage on my lipos after landing is usually 7.4-7.6 volts...pretty conservative I think. I can tell you that if you were to load up a battery for me and then hand me the transmitter, I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which.

The 800mah, 7.4v, 10C lipos from CSRC come with identical connectors--both charging and discharging--as the stock BCX lipos, except for the reverse polarity on the charging connector as noted above. The larger capacity CSRC lipos come with the same charging connector, but the discharge is left as bare leads (protected with heat shrink.) I bought some Dean's Ultra connectors to use with those batteries, and I'm in the process of switching all my batteries and helis to those.

I've attached a couple pictures of my battery attachment. Just a single rubberband, crossed in the middle, attached to the battery holder where it meets the frame. I just leave it in place, and slip the battery in under the X. Oh, and please disregard the horrid state of my landing gear.
Last edited by scratchee; Apr 28, 2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:19 PM
30 RC's and counting
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2005
946 Posts
Thanks, I just ordered 2 of these batteries, now my stock motors will get burnt out that much faster.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 03:25 PM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2006
92 Posts
scratchee,

Thanks for the photos...the mystery is solved since you fly without the canopy. With the canopy, I don't see how a rubberband would work. (Some folks are using velcrow.)

The larger CSRS cells you refer to -- are they the 1250mah 10C cells? If so how does your bird fly with the added weight (60 grams vs 46 grams)?

Thanks,
--Alan
Old Apr 28, 2006, 03:52 PM
Joined Feb 2006
175 Posts
Alan...

I removed the canopy for clarity, but I fly with it on. Maybe it's the aft section that would get in the way for you? I have a tail boom instead of the stock tail...it's been off so long that I didn't even think about it.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2006
20 Posts
Could we see aphoto w/ it on???
mshaz is offline Find More Posts by mshaz
Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:34 PM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2006
92 Posts
scratchee,

Would you please comment on my larger CSRS cell question (the second item on my previous message)?

Thanks, Alan