SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2014, 04:29 AM
Australia, QLD, Barcaldine
Joined Aug 2013
19 Posts
Question
Does the Bixler 2 wind need strengthening?

I have just received my Bixler 2 (ordered the day before the Bixler 3 was announced) and I'm concerned about the strength of the wing. A couple of posts on the HobbyKing site mention a wing failure apparently without putting the plane under undue stress. I prefer that the wing doesn't fail especially since this will be my first FPV model.

So, is this a common occurrence with this plane and what measures, if any, should be taken to strengthen the wing?

Before posting this I browsed the Bixler 2 thread and I saw several videos showing the plane being wrung out without any problems so perhaps my fear of wing failure is unfounded.
Outback_flier is offline Find More Posts by Outback_flier
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2014, 06:33 AM
United Kingdom, England, Stow-on-the-Wold
Joined Jul 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback_flier View Post
I have just received my Bixler 2 (ordered the day before the Bixler 3 was announced) and I'm concerned about the strength of the wing. A couple of posts on the HobbyKing site mention a wing failure apparently without putting the plane under undue stress. I prefer that the wing doesn't fail especially since this will be my first FPV model.

So, is this a common occurrence with this plane and what measures, if any, should be taken to strengthen the wing?

Before posting this I browsed the Bixler 2 thread and I saw several videos showing the plane being wrung out without any problems so perhaps my fear of wing failure is unfounded.
Yes i would, especially if you're intending to haul some weight and put more stress on the wing. The most common way is to get a 1m length of 4mm carbon rod and slide it (with some glue) straight down the middle of the 6mm spar tube that the Bixler comes with.

Another mod i found worthwhile, is to cut the foam filler piece that covers the wing spar, lengthways down the middle, and glue in the half that holds the spar, but only tape in the half that covers the servo leads.... that way you can get the servos out if you need to. One of my stock Bixler2 aileron servos failed on the first day, causing me to crash, so it might be worth considering swapping the more important ones for something a bit tougher, i changed mine to the turnigy hxt900s (you'll need servo extenders too), and then used the stock servos for my flaps.

...have a read right through the Bixler2 thread, it'll take you ages but there is a ton of information in there
flyin_flea is offline Find More Posts by flyin_flea
Old Aug 06, 2014, 11:11 PM
Australia, QLD, Barcaldine
Joined Aug 2013
19 Posts
Thanks Flyin_flea. I've spent a bit more time reading the Bixler thread and came across those two mods. Getting hold of a length of carbon fibre rod via mail order is a bit of a problem. The freight is greater the the cost of the item because of the length.

OK on the servos. I have some HXT 900 servos that I intended to use for the flaps. Maybe I should swap them for the aileron servos.
Outback_flier is offline Find More Posts by Outback_flier
Old Aug 06, 2014, 11:15 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Dec 2006
18 Posts
I completely agree that the spar needs to be reinforced , I watched my bixler2 wings almost fold in half on high speed pullouts!
beedo is offline Find More Posts by beedo