SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2014, 05:54 PM
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
Discussion
Total noob! Trying to decide between some planes

First, I want to apologize if this has been discussed. I'm using my phone and trying to hide it from my boss. Heheh

Second, if I'm beating a dead horse please direct me where to go!

A little over a year ago I bought the Hobbyzone Supercub and after a few shakey flights it nosed dived and split in half. I just dug it out of the garage and I was able to salvage the motor and electronics. The rest is trash.

This past week 3 of my buddies bought Champs and so now I got the itch again! I'm looking at three different planes at the moment and I'm hoping to get some insight from you folks. My goal is to learn how to fly well enough so at some point in yhr future i can get myself a sweet low wing warbird! Here are the three on my list. I'm not wanting to spend more than $150 and these seem decent.

Duet
Champ
BlitzRCworks Mini Flight Trainer (Banana Hobby)

I'm excited for any input. Thank you all!
Staf0s is offline Find More Posts by Staf0s
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2014, 07:02 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,309 Posts
Of those the duet would be my choice. If you could spend more, I'd suggest Apprentice.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Jun 09, 2014, 07:06 PM
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
I was looking at that. I'm just concerned about crashing. I spent about $170 on the SuperCub and only got about 4 minutes of fly time before I busted it. These smaller guys seem more durable. That's why I'm here though, I'm open to anything!
Old Jun 09, 2014, 07:31 PM
What Goes Up Must Come Down
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2013
595 Posts
Get the Champ!!
PRNDL is offline Find More Posts by PRNDL
Old Jun 09, 2014, 07:42 PM
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
Ill be doing most of my flying at a park so whatever can handle the most wind is what I'll be looking for!!
Last edited by Staf0s; Jun 09, 2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:01 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,309 Posts
What is needed to repair the super cub? Parts for those are pretty reasonable.

The Champ is an excellent flier in the ultra mirco class, but it doesn't take long to master it, and it is a calm day plane.

The Apprentice is definitely not a park flier, but the Safe mode is IMHO the first training tool of its kind that actually prevents crashes. It also flies well and does inverted and basic aerobatics well for a trainer, so you aren't likely to get bored with it. It's also tough, and parts are available and reasonably priced.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:19 PM
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
Basically the whole fuselage blew up. The gear that powers the prop snapped. Ill take a picture of everything I have. I was thinking about taking it in to my LHS and seeing if they could rebuild it for me. I believe I got the one with the SAFE. Didn't help me much haha.

Also, what's the definition of a Park Flyer? We have huge soccer fields with lots of open space

Update: calle my LHS and they told me they could put it back together for me. I'm definitely going to go that route but I also want one of these micros to mess with
Last edited by Staf0s; Jun 09, 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:19 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,309 Posts
Yeah, I was going to say that one of the advantages of buying one of the major brands is parts, even the whole fuse, are usually reasonably priced.

I'd suggest flying that one for a while, until you have a good handle on it.

Is there a club nearby? Making contact with them could be the best thing you could do. They may even have a designated instructor with a plane you could fly.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:24 AM
They call me Spock
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2013
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
I'd suggest flying that one for a while, until you have a good handle on it.
I'm in agreement here. The SuperCub is going to handle wind much better than say, a Champ. When setup correctly and balanced, that SuperCub should be a docile bird. Get a simulator and get some time under your belt and you should be handling the Cub well after a few flights. Then you can save your $$ for your first aileron equipped plane.
dmanuel is offline Find More Posts by dmanuel
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:12 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
150 Posts
Go for a Champ. Once you can actually fly look at something else and maybe bigger.

If you aren't confident to teach yourself get a simulator too or some tuition.
ChickenDrumstick is offline Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:03 AM
My everything hurts
United States, AZ, Bisbee
Joined Sep 2013
149 Posts
+1 on the sim....orientation is critical and accounts for a lot of crashes. Give yourself some altitude so (when) you make a mistake you have time to recover.
waywardson is offline Find More Posts by waywardson
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:05 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,596 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the DeltaRay .

SAFE™ Technology in Action: HobbyZone® Delta Ray™ (4 min 48 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:08 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
684 Posts
I would get same plane as my friends and fix my cub for a big plane. Later you and friend's can going flying, have ribbon combat's. Race each other and try new things. Learn upkeep and repairs and help each other. You well be getting better and have your cub ready for times to windy for the Champ. The Champ can be so fun its very cool to fly with someone with same plane. Landing contest, flying throw things comes when you get good with the plane. Plus I like doing crazy things with a cheap plane to repair.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:24 PM
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
Those were my thoughts too. I think I'll go with the Champ as it seems to be the most popular. I'm going to attempt to rebuild my Supercub myself so I can teach myself how it all goes together.

For around $65 it looks like I can get a new fuselage with electronics installed. Does anyone know what exactly it all comes with? Judging by the pics it looks like it comes with the motor/mount/prop shaft...etc

Can anyone confirm?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:02 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,719 Posts
the champ is a great plane. For a beginner its definitely a calm weather plane, but the truth is, It can handle as much wind as YOU can... A couple months ago a buddy and I were at the park wind surfing our champs (mine brushless but still 3 ch, his stock brushed) while we waited for the wind to die down enough to fly our bigger planes.....
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur