SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2014, 09:23 PM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Sep 2009
305 Posts
Question
Airbrakes to control Yaw?

I am working on my first flying wing. It is a swept wing with fins at the wing tips, sort of like a Zagi on steroid.
I have working split airbrakes and I was wondering if they can be used to
control yaw in flight. The idea would be to deploy the airbrake on one wing to increase the drag on the wing and induce yaw. I have already set up the radio for that, but before I give it an actual try I'd like to hear from people with more experience.
Thank you
ululi1970 is online now Find More Posts by ululi1970
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:06 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
I don't see it. The air brake will cause similar forces to the wing as does an aileron, in the case of a flying wing, elevons. The braked wing will simply stop flying compared to the other and it will turn just as if you used a single aileron.

Try it and let us know what happens.

BTW, why do you want to induce yaw?
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:22 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,458 Posts
I remember this concept being used in one of the early full-size ultralights. Push right pedal, the right side winglet turns out, causing drag on right wingtip and right yaw. Push left pedal, the left side winglet turns out, causing drag on left wingtip and left yaw. Push both pedals, both winglets turn out causing increased sink rate and no yaw. Worked just as intended without any issues.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:55 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Split surface airbrakes work well to control yaw. However, they are extremely high drag when compared to a conventional rudder.

With a computer stabilized airplane that uses them for active yaw stabilization without vertical surfaces, like the B2, it makes perfect sense.However, in a model airplane with a a vertical stab, the utility is reduced.

One thing to watch out for when testing is coupling between air brake deployment and the pitch axis.
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Jan 20, 2014, 06:28 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
To what purpose, if I may ask? Unless the wing is a dihedral all yaw will do is make the plane, well, yaw. The big wing bombers made by Northrup had them, but you're not using it as a bomber.

Are you?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Last edited by Fly Wheel; Jan 20, 2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Jan 20, 2014, 06:40 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how the B-2 controls yaw? By opening the split airbrakes?
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2014, 06:57 PM
Joined Sep 2009
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
To what purpose, if I may ask? Unless the wing is a dihedral all yaw will do is make the plane, well, yaw. The big wing bombers used by Northrup had them, but you're not using it as a bomber.

Are you?
Well, aside from "because I can do it" reason, and the fact that involves only some programming on the radio side, one thing with this plane is that once the
front wheel is up, there is no way to control yaw. So I am thinking about landing in crosswind and/or yaw corrections at take off when the front wheel is up...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:10 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Any reason is a good reason. Do it and let us know how it works.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:00 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,165 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1699318
nmasters is offline Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:46 PM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmasters View Post
One of the best links I have seen is some time, Thanks!
iron eagle is online now Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:09 AM
Joined Sep 2009
305 Posts
Quote:
Looks very interesting. One main difference, which may prove essential, is that
in my case the split airbrakes are close to the wing root, so they may not
be nearly as effective in terms of induced moment about the vertical axis
as when they are close to the tips...
Once I get comfortable flying it I will try some experiments....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:51 AM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,165 Posts
Think of your drag rudder as applying torque to the center of gravity. Torque is the length of the lever times the force. If a force (in this case drag) is applied right up close to the thing you're trying to twist it will take a lot of force to get the job done. However if you double the distance that you apply the force you also double the torque that it makes so it makes sense to put the drag rudders on the wing tips to keep the drag that they produce to a minimum. If building a linkage for horizontal drag rudders in the wing is too difficult drag rudders on the fins is a simpler option. You can activate vertical rudders with one pull wire and close them with a rubber band.

--Norm
nmasters is offline Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:51 AM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
They won't do much near the root as far as yaw, they need some moment arm.
iron eagle is online now Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:25 PM
Joined Sep 2009
305 Posts
Quote:
Think of your drag rudder as applying torque to the center of gravity. Torque is the length of the lever times the force. If a force (in this case drag) is applied right up close to the thing you're trying to twist it will take a lot of force to get the job done. However if you double the distance that you apply the force you also double the torque that it makes so it makes sense to put the drag rudders on the wing tips to keep the drag that they produce to a minimum. If building a linkage for horizontal drag rudders in the wing is too difficult drag rudders on the fins is a simpler option. You can activate vertical rudders with one pull wire and close them with a rubber band.

--Norm
That makes sense. Adding rudders to the fins may be a more effective solution.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:13 AM
Joined Apr 2013
532 Posts
Also, the greater the wing sweep, the more the rudder is behind the CG, and that will give you more moment arm.
So for a "plank" style wing (very little sweep, if any at all), rudders on wing tips are very weak - which is why planks typically have the rudder on a fin that is placed as far back as possible on the fuselage pod.
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel