I rest my case.

Thanks
army_eod is offline Find More Posts by army_eod
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2014, 12:05 PM
United States, PA, Windsor
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
Finally had maiden of the Skyray. I removed the muffler as it tends to flood the engine. Hint; remove tail weight to adjust CG after removing muffler.
Old May 28, 2014, 08:00 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
I removed the muffler as it tends to flood the engine.
Absolutely NO.
akihirodanjo is online now Find More Posts by akihirodanjo
Old May 29, 2014, 03:31 AM
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akihirodanjo View Post
Absolutely NO.
my muffler fills up with fuel. why? that floods the engine and i cannot start it. I took the muffler off.
Old May 29, 2014, 08:09 AM
Mike A.
Des Moines, IA
Joined Oct 2005
365 Posts
Remove the muffler pressure line - or pinch it off between flights. I've never had too much benefit gained from muffler pressure anyway. Others use it a lot. Your mileage may vary .....

(edit -- looking back at your pix, perhaps you aren't using muffler pressure. And siphoning fuel directly into the muffler would not flood the engine, either, so perhaps the fuel is siphoning THROUGH the engine. The way to stop siphoning is to pinch the feed line, or cap all vents after filling the tank and before starting the engine. Bubble test the tank for air leaks, also. Or, just leave the muffler off, if the noise won't cause you any grief with neighbors.)
mikeainia is offline Find More Posts by mikeainia
Last edited by mikeainia; May 29, 2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,175 Posts
I had a similar problem with a side mounted Tower 40. The muffler was well below the fuel tank. I would fill the tank through the muffler line, with the overflow uncapped. If I capped the overflow before reattaching the muffler line, no problem. If I reattached the muffler line, then put the cap on the overflow, fuel would siphon from the tank to the muffler.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 06, 2014, 11:50 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
On my Skyray, I use muffler pressure to my uniflow vent, partly for constant pressure but also to keep it from ingesting debris from the grass. It will siphon out after I fill the tank if I don't clamp it. So after filling, and until time to crank I use one of these clips on the muffler line:
Name: Capture.JPG
Views: 8
Size: 12.4 KB
Description: clamp
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jun 08, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
Well I now have about 4 or 5 good flights on the Skyray. CG is good. I will do my first loop next time out. Remember I am just getting back into this. Since I fly off grass, I am removing the landing gear. It works better that way on landing. Hand launches are no problem.
I am fortunate to have in my club and fly with Phil Cartier, a six time world champion combat pilot. Phil and Oleg are getting me into combat right away. I flew a speed limit combat ship and it seems pretty easy. It was one of Phil's foam wing birds. Nice ship and very durable.
Oleg is from Ukraine and has a European style for combat flying and his hardware mostly comes from Ukraine supplier. Good stuff. So I am learning some good stuff from the best.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 03:41 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
That's great to hear. Since you're in very good company, I need not add any advice on looping and such fun things. They'll have you flying it all over the sky in no time. It's a fun plane to fly and tough too. I've enjoyed the good old beater given to me last year for my stunt trainer.

I've been working on my new Ray all day, just finishing the wing and moving on to the rest of the airframe. I'm Streakerizing mine, copying the Flite Streak look and changing some things for the purpose of CLPA.

Maybe I'll show a picture of mine when it starts looking more like an airplane.
Have fun.
Rusty
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty