HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2013, 06:09 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,033 Posts
Question
Which is stronger, which is lighter?

For a molded wing repair... one layer of 1.5 oz fiberglass or two layers of .75 oz fiberglass?
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:35 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,878 Posts
Don't know for a fact but I've always heard that two .75 would be stronger.... I've never had to worry about it.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Oct 08, 2013, 04:43 AM
Toowoomba, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Double check if the 1.5oz cloth is "balanced". I'm pretty sure for class cloth 0.75oz is typically balanced (same strength warp and weft) but 1.5 cloth is unbalanced (unequal strength warp and weft). Reason being on class cloth they tend to bulk out the weave one way to get the higher weight.

Aramid and carbon is usually balanced.

Other than that, I'd go two layers of 0.75 for ease of application, plus you can stagger the edges...
bjr_93tz is online now Find More Posts by bjr_93tz
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:14 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
And you can lay one on the bias, so you're less likely to have it "zipper" if it does start to fail.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:46 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,033 Posts
Thanks for the info guys...I went with 2 times .75 and it is plenty strong for my CX2...still wondering about which is lighter.

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:42 PM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,557 Posts
1 layer is probably lighter. (just guessing though) Figure that both 1 layer and 2 weigh the same amount for the fabric, but two layers soaks up more epoxy/ca/whatever because it would end up being thicker from filament overlap. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. How's the repair coming along?

Jim
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Oct 13, 2013, 02:01 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,033 Posts
Wing #1 is done and performs great...you may have seen pics on the Colorado handlaunch thread. 5.9 grams weight gain...

#2 is waiting in the "wings" as I try to create time to dig in to it.

Jim thanks for saying "it's repairable" after seeing #1 last year...I knew then that I just needed time to learn more about repairing these wings...what works and what won't... The time finally came.

I did notice that after I blotted up the excess epoxy that I actually took out too much and created a few tiny air pockets between the two layers of fabric...I went back over those spots and rubbed some epoxy in to get it transparent.

John
RCG Plus Member