HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:56 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Discussion
Multi4 Issue

My Multi4 alarms "cells no add up" quite often even when the lipo cells are identical voltage. Happens on (preset 1) accurate or (preset 2) fast presets. It also alarms "cell overvoltage" when there is none. This happens on all mah, 2s,3s,4s batteries and even new batteries charging the first time from storage charge with identical cell voltages. Firmware is 1.67. All connections are clean. I reloaded the CCS software.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Jan 07, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:06 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
My Multi4 alarms "cells no add up" quite often even when the lipo cells are identical voltage. Happens on (preset 1) accurate or (preset 2) fast presets. It also alarms "cell overvoltage" when there is none. This happens on all mah, 2s,3s,4s batteries and even new batteries charging the first time from storage charge with identical cell voltages. Firmware is 1.67. All connections are clean. I reloaded the CCS software.

Allan
HI:

I you have cleaned all the connectors on the charger, the batteries, and adapters using contact cleaner and used a toothbrush to get down inside them, then the next step would be to replace any adapters. If that still doesn't fix it, you can send the charger in and ask us to replace the header on the PCB itself. In the future, I recommend you pick up a short extension to go between the charger and the adapters you use so you are not constantly connecting and disconnecting at the charger itself. If you need to send it in, we can also run it through factory tester to make sure everything is working to spec. This is not a firmware issue, so updating firmware will have no effect.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:04 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
HI:

I you have cleaned all the connectors on the charger, the batteries, and adapters using contact cleaner and used a toothbrush to get down inside them, then the next step would be to replace any adapters. If that still doesn't fix it, you can send the charger in and ask us to replace the header on the PCB itself. In the future, I recommend you pick up a short extension to go between the charger and the adapters you use so you are not constantly connecting and disconnecting at the charger itself. If you need to send it in, we can also run it through factory tester to make sure everything is working to spec. This is not a firmware issue, so updating firmware will have no effect.

Tim Marks
Thanks, Tim.

I have used spray cleaner on the connectors but not a toothbrush to clean them. I'll do this and use the charger to see if it clears the problem.

Good idea on the short extension. I mainly charge 3S batteries, but have had the same issue on 2S and 4S batteries, and have wondered what is the life of the 3S adapter male connector.

After this if it still is giving the alarms then I'll send it in.

Allan
Last edited by swimmer; Jan 08, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:04 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
My Multi4 continues to be a problem. Charging batteries requires multiple resets due to "cell overvoltage" cells don't add up" and "bad cell count" alarms. All connectors, charger and batteries, are pristine clean and under a magnifying glass show no wear. I have yet to purchase replacement adapters due to the cost and the possibility they are not causing the issue. I have no idea what service on the charger would cost along with postage both ways. At this point it is probably is the best plan to invest in a new charger due to the combined cost of replacement adapters and repair. While I have been moderately satisfied with the Multi4 I'll likely purchase another brand. I realize charges don't last forever but as easy as I've made if for my Multi4 and adapters it should have provided a little longer service life.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:04 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,182 Posts
Adapters are wear items and issues with them are not brand specific. Your issue not withstanding, you won't find another brand with a better track record for reliability. Many of the major charger brands have "large" threads on the batteries and charger forums. Review those threads and to see of the large number of issues (many without resolution) to see what I am talking about.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:31 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Adapters are wear items and issues with them are not brand specific. Your issue not withstanding, you won't find another brand with a better track record for reliability. Many of the major charger brands have "large" threads on the batteries and charger forums. Review those threads and to see of the large number of issues (many without resolution) to see what I am talking about.
Will do, and thanks. Still, no matter the problem, it is more efficient to me to invest the cost of replacement adapters and possible repair in a new charger. Will give me the opportunity to put your advice to practical experience.
Last edited by swimmer; Apr 14, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:35 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Hmmmm??? Called FMA Direct last Friday regarding my Multi4 and left a message with a tech. Did not receive a call back. What's up FMA?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:01 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,041 Posts
We have a flat $35 repair fee if you would like to send your charger in for service. The fee covers the diagnosis, parts, labor, and return shipping (as long as you live inside the US). The fee does not cover the microprocessor, which if blown, is not cost effective to repair. Please email me at howard@fmadirect.com if you would like to send your unit in, thanks.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:29 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
We have a flat $35 repair fee if you would like to send your charger in for service. The fee covers the diagnosis, parts, labor, and return shipping (as long as you live inside the US). The fee does not cover the microprocessor, which if blown, is not cost effective to repair. Please email me at howard@fmadirect.com if you would like to send your unit in, thanks.
Thanks, Howard, but its just not cost effective to determine what's the problem with my Multi4. I have decided to purchase another charger, keep the Multi4 and limp it along when I have to charge my few TP and Flightpower batteries.

Thanks for the call back today.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,182 Posts
If you are going to keep the Multi4, it might be cost effective to purchase a 4s pigtail and replace the existing pigtail on your balance board. I believe their is an FMA dealer in Canada which could save you some cost.

http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-cel...nce-cable.html

Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:34 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Thanks, Howard, but its just not cost effective to determine what's the problem with my Multi4. I have decided to purchase another charger, keep the Multi4 and limp it along when I have to charge my few TP and Flightpower batteries.

Thanks for the call back today.
Hi,

If you are capable of soldering, I can send you a new header for the charger. It will not hurt to swap this out. You can email me your address and I will drop it in the mail for you.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:57 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

If you are capable of soldering, I can send you a new header for the charger. It will not hurt to swap this out. You can email me your address and I will drop it in the mail for you.
Sounds like a deal. I'll email you.