Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:07 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers View Post
Party over. It's now Club Price $88.22 + Shipping Oversized 2: $8.50
And I just pulled the trigger on another one at that price myself.............( will have 2 now )

Have been talking to quit a few who have them and watching video's as I had done for awhile ....seems HH is going to discontinue it...The Flight Command duo also says good things about this plane and a have a couple video's out about it. ( one is in winter ,very cold )

When I see a plane that catches my attention and can be used to experiment with and many people give me good personal reviews about them...I tend to buy them .
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:42 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost View Post
And I just pulled the trigger on another one at that price myself.............( will have 2 now )

Have been talking to quit a few who have them and watching video's as I had done for awhile ....seems HH is going to discontinue it...The Flight Command duo also says good things about this plane and a have a couple video's out about it. ( one is in winter ,very cold )

When I see a plane that catches my attention and can be used to experiment with and many people give me good personal reviews about them...I tend to buy them .
Way to go. Solid gear for your possible belly flop field.
thosmosis is online now Find More Posts by thosmosis
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:50 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
713 Posts
One of my first flights after getting the Archer.

Archer1 (3 min 11 sec)
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:36 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Way to go. Solid gear for your possible belly flop field.
And as Cheap as a Champ as well...could not pass it up.

Nice Vid...well when the plane came close that is....lol
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:48 PM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
That's a lot of plane for that price. Even if all you did was gut it for the components you'd probably do ok
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Aug 23, 2014, 03:29 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,252 Posts
Mine arrived today and nice bird. Hooked up to my DX5e and had to reverse alierons but works fine. Alierons are out of trim but close. I was surprised at how big box was.
Question ? Archer has two screws to hold wing and one for satb. also mine are two shorter screws what are they for ? Look like type for control horns. Maybe extras for cowl ?
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 23, 2014, 09:28 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
713 Posts
Quote:

Yeah. I was flying at my "Nervous Nelly" field. Also called Magnuson Park. When I was maiden ing planes back when, I needed lots of room. That area is the largest of the five fields that I fly. Also the furthest at half an hour away. I rarely go there anymore. But many of my early flights were there. With pea sized plane video. I needed to spread out. I still think about that field when a plane starts getting difficult. But end up passing because of the further distance. If I have two free hours to fly. I don't want to spend half of it driving. Of course, if it were the only option. I'd do it. Has a nice air strip though!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:23 AM
PACubFlyer103
United States, PA, Media
Joined Mar 2011
96 Posts
I pulled the trigger on this one too. Was looking for something I could fly from a small field new my work. It arrived yesterday and I can't wait to get it assembled.

I'm going fly it stock for a while but I will be checking this thread for suggested mods.
PACubFlyer103 is online now Find More Posts by PACubFlyer103
Old Aug 23, 2014, 02:38 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
713 Posts
Quote:

Okay. I tried at another field this morning.

If I could describe the wind like I would a lake. I'd say it was like glass! Almost no wind!

First flight with this plane in 6 months. I think...

Archer Riverview 11 (6 min 30 sec)

Right after the Archer. I had to try the Tex J3, of course.

J3 Riverview 15 (6 min 4 sec)
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:35 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Okay. I tried at another field this morning.

If I could describe the wind like I would a lake. I'd say it was like glass! Almost no wind!

First flight with this plane in 6 months. I think...

Right after the Archer. I had to try the Tex J3, of course
Great Vids.......
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:37 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACubFlyer103 View Post
I pulled the trigger on this one too. Was looking for something I could fly from a small field new my work. It arrived yesterday and I can't wait to get it assembled.

I'm going fly it stock for a while but I will be checking this thread for suggested mods.
Not sure this plane need any Mods...from what i am reading from Most it is great as it is....but who knows, always room to improve even on a great set up.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:57 PM
Happy Summer
United States, NJ, Sparta Township
Joined Sep 2012
354 Posts
Every plane needs a little livery to make it look real sharp. I should get mine on Tuesday. Will keep it stock. Videos look like I will enjoy it.
Red.Sneakers is offline Find More Posts by Red.Sneakers
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:32 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
168 Posts
I got mine yesterday! Still need to assemble it, but that may be a bit due to work. This is my first airplane, and at that price, I just couldn't pass it up. I bought mine from Amain for $90.

There is a similar plane on my Real Flight 7 sim (ElectriFly Cirrus S@22 Turbo))that I have been practicing with. I have a fair amount of heli flying, just not fixed wings.

Anybody know if that sim plane flies anything at all like the Archer? It is a low wing as well.
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Last edited by HeliFlyer14; Aug 23, 2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:34 AM
Happy Summer
United States, NJ, Sparta Township
Joined Sep 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
...This is my first airplane ... I have a fair amount of heli flying, just not fixed wings... Anybody know if that sim plane flies anything at all like the Archer? It is a low wing as well.
Oh man, I have seen this play many times. Sometimes it has a happy ending sometimes not. Sim versus Real Life. Here is my analysis of your situation.

- Sim has a controlled environment, wind, turbulence, etc. Life has wind, gust, turbulence. So suggest your first few flights be in a large area with no wind. If you find turbulence, land and try another day.

- Heli can hover while you relax & figure out your flight plan. Archer cannot hover. Suggest setting out your flight plan before takeoff. Say, takeoff, fly two square patterns & land. Then you can take the time to evaluate & adjust.

- Sim planes have a perfect mechanical trim set. Life may not be so kind to you. Check the mechanical trim before first flight.

- Sim planes have a perfect Center of Gravity. Great news here is that the CG should be good on a BNF model. With the battery installed but not connected, just check it.

- Sim view stays the same at speed. Life view gets really small at speed. Before takeoff, the landing zone will look very large. When you come in for a landing, it will look very small.

- Oh ya, the basics. Motor / prop creates lift, elevator creates speed, rudder changes the yaw, aileron creates roll. Very similar to heli, Suggest setting Ailerons & elevator at low rates with rudder at high. Like in a heli, throttle management is very important.

Sim & heli flying will give you a fighting chance. Sure you are a quick learner, just take it slow at first, evaluate & ask questions. Others can tell you if the habits of the Archer, i.e. will it roll with rudder only?

Good luck with the maiden.

Just me 2 cents worth.

Red.Sneakers is offline Find More Posts by Red.Sneakers
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:18 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
168 Posts
Wow, that is some great advice! Thanks a ton, and I really do mean that. That is exactly what I was looking to find out. I have flown an airplane only one time, at a flight field and did actually successfully land, twice, but that was with a high wing and the ASX stabilizing system.

I totally agree with what you said about Heli versus Airplane. I believe heli's are harder to fly, but easier to land; you can come in stop, then settle down to your landing spot. Airplanes you are moving fast (or so it seems to me) coming into that runway and you kind of have to have things figured out beforehand as to what you are going to do.

I have an AMA flight field not too far away from where I live, and it has a runway. I imagine that will be the first place I fly at, and probably early in the morning before the winds kick up.

thanks again for the notes.
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14