Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:46 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
934 Posts
Mini-Review
Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver

It's ready for the weekend!

Recently purchased the"TX-R" (Transmitter Ready) version of the Beaver and have have it ready for the last float flying session of the season on Sunday, Oct 21st. Would have preferred a "Receiver Ready" version but it is not offered. Took the better part of the day to get it ready, mainly due to issues I encounted.

It arrived well packed with only the wing struts loose in the box. Only a few "dings" in the foam floats. The first thing I did after getting it all unpacked was to remove the receiver as I plan on using a Spektrum AR600. It comes with a 6 channel Tactic receiver and the Tactic AnyLink but I prefer all Spektrum. I also replaced the ESC battery connector with a Deans Ultra. Then proceeded to follow the instructions starting with the floats. With the horizontal struts in place, only one of the four screws holding them would engage the "compression nuts" so spent quite a bit of time with that issue. Finally, I removed the struts and inverted the floats so I could see the "nuts" floating in the strut slot, pressed the point of my hobby knife in each and started the screws in each "nut" and finally was able to assemble the floats. To mount the floats to the fuselage, I blocked up the fuse to the approximate level and that helped a lot. Once all the screws are tightened, the floats seem quite secure.

Proceeded to setup the water rudders as shown and found the ez-connectors were not secure and the retaining ring just popped off when pressure applied. The holes in the servo arm are larger than my Dubro EZ-Connectors so couldn't just replace them. And I didn't have any servo arms that would fit. Ended up using the metal retainer from the Dubro versions to hold them securely. Hard to press on as the hole is smaller but it does work.

Also had some trouble fitting the rudder in place but finally started the screw first then was able to assemble as specified. The next steps are to adjust the rudder and elevator servos. Again, I replaced the ez-connector retainers with the Dubro versions. Tight fit but it works! Make sure to set up the rudder and elevator with your radio at this point as it is hard to tighten the connectors once the wings are in place. Guess how I know that! I found the rudder servo was not properly secured and would slide back and forth. Screws couldn't be tightened (stripped the wood base) so I CAed the holes and used larger screws to secure both rudder and elevator servos.

The water rudders are fixed so a bit of caution is required when setting it down.

Installing the wings are a "snap" and they can be removed just as easily. I had no trouble setting up all the control throws with servo arms and connectors as supplied.

Also sealed the loose edges of the windshield with canopy glue. Cleaned off the sharp edges of the prop and balanced.

AUW with a 3S 2200mah 20C is 51.4 ozs. This size battery fits very well. I have a few larger 3S 2200s that are a 1/4" longer and the hatch cannot be closed. The hatch has foam that could be cut away to allow a slightly larger battery.

Max watts 330. CG is right on the money! I hope it flies as good as it looks!

I haven't purchased many "just about ready to fly" planes so maybe most of these issues are to be expected. I don't consider most of the issues a big deal except for the servo being loose. If that had been the elevator, it could have been a "big deal!" I would just suggest that a purchaser go thru the plane carefully and just make sure everything is "up to snuff!" That should be the normal course of action anyway.

Overall, this is a great looking Beaver and being foam makes it a natural for flying from water. Really looking forward to the first flights Sunday. And I will have my cameras with me.

Joe
Here is a playlist of all my Flyzone Beaver videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...56fiZ1ik2oMc3A
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Last edited by jpgilbert; Oct 16, 2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added Playlist
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,417 Posts
Nice write up. I have copied pasted it to my Beaver note pad file to refer to when I build mine. I plan to paint my floats silver.

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
934 Posts
Thanks!
I didn't realize there was a long thread already going in the Scale Electric Planes.
Might want to read thru that.
Joe
http://www.rcgroups.com/scale-electric-planes-10/
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
934 Posts
Maiden flights yesterday. Very nice flyer!

Joe

Joe's Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver (3 min 53 sec)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:10 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Nice plane Joe! I have been eyeballing one of these for a while. I have never flown a float but here in Texas we could do it most any time of the year. Thought about rigging up floats for my sons apprentice and the owner of my LHS showed this to me.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:38 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Nice plane Joe! I have been eyeballing one of these for a while. I have never flown a float but here in Texas we could do it most any time of the year. Thought about rigging up floats for my sons apprentice and the owner of my LHS showed this to me.
Thanks! You will enjoy this plane. I took off the floats, used the wheels and still a great flyer. Put skis on it and flew from frosty grass, still great. The other thread I mentioned above has a lot of info in it. Seems this plane has become very popular. Two other members of my club have purchased it.

Other videos of it on wheels and skis are on my youtube channel.
www.youtube.com/user/MeFlyer

Joe
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:48 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Thanks, I better go pick it up today before it's gone! The part that sucks, it will have to go under the tree!!!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:38 AM
Maine
Joined Jul 2007
93 Posts
Well its better then in the tree!!! LOL
Roland-KVMA is offline Find More Posts by Roland-KVMA
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:04 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland-KVMA View Post
Well its better then in the tree!!! LOL
Roland, could you possibly be referring to the one and only time I landed a seaplane in a tree?

Joe
Old Sep 23, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Jul 2013
2 Posts
Any one ever use push rods to water rudder for the Flyzone Beaver. Have pics on it ?
Lou54 is offline Find More Posts by Lou54
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Aug 2004
365 Posts
deleted redundant post.
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou54 View Post
Any one ever use push rods to water rudder for the Flyzone Beaver. Have pics on it ?
Lou: This thread doesn't seem very active. You might try your question HERE if you don't receive a reply to your question. I know they discuss many rudder and rudder control modifications.

Brian
TechJunkieRC
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:13 AM
United States, SC, Indian Land
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert View Post

Recently purchased the"TX-R" (Transmitter Ready) version of the Beaver and have have it ready for the last float flying session of the season on Sunday, Oct 21st. Would have preferred a "Receiver Ready" version but it is not offered. Took the better part of the day to get it ready, mainly due to issues I encounted.

It arrived well packed with only the wing struts loose in the box. Only a few "dings" in the foam floats. The first thing I did after getting it all unpacked was to remove the receiver as I plan on using a Spektrum AR600. It comes with a 6 channel Tactic receiver and the Tactic AnyLink but I prefer all Spektrum. I also replaced the ESC battery connector with a Deans Ultra. Then proceeded to follow the instructions starting with the floats. With the horizontal struts in place, only one of the four screws holding them would engage the "compression nuts" so spent quite a bit of time with that issue. Finally, I removed the struts and inverted the floats so I could see the "nuts" floating in the strut slot, pressed the point of my hobby knife in each and started the screws in each "nut" and finally was able to assemble the floats. To mount the floats to the fuselage, I blocked up the fuse to the approximate level and that helped a lot. Once all the screws are tightened, the floats seem quite secure.

Proceeded to setup the water rudders as shown and found the ez-connectors were not secure and the retaining ring just popped off when pressure applied. The holes in the servo arm are larger than my Dubro EZ-Connectors so couldn't just replace them. And I didn't have any servo arms that would fit. Ended up using the metal retainer from the Dubro versions to hold them securely. Hard to press on as the hole is smaller but it does work.

Also had some trouble fitting the rudder in place but finally started the screw first then was able to assemble as specified. The next steps are to adjust the rudder and elevator servos. Again, I replaced the ez-connector retainers with the Dubro versions. Tight fit but it works! Make sure to set up the rudder and elevator with your radio at this point as it is hard to tighten the connectors once the wings are in place. Guess how I know that! I found the rudder servo was not properly secured and would slide back and forth. Screws couldn't be tightened (stripped the wood base) so I CAed the holes and used larger screws to secure both rudder and elevator servos.

The water rudders are fixed so a bit of caution is required when setting it down.

Installing the wings are a "snap" and they can be removed just as easily. I had no trouble setting up all the control throws with servo arms and connectors as supplied.

Also sealed the loose edges of the windshield with canopy glue. Cleaned off the sharp edges of the prop and balanced.

AUW with a 3S 2200mah 20C is 51.4 ozs. This size battery fits very well. I have a few larger 3S 2200s that are a 1/4" longer and the hatch cannot be closed. The hatch has foam that could be cut away to allow a slightly larger battery.

I haven't purchased many "just about ready to fly" planes so maybe most of these issues are to be expected. I don't consider most of the issues a big deal except for the servo being loose. If that had been the elevator, it could have been a "big deal!" I would just suggest that a purchaser go thru the plane carefully and just make sure everything is "up to snuff!" That should be the normal course of action anyway.

Overall, this is a great looking Beaver and being foam makes it a natural for flying from water. Really looking forward to the first flights Sunday. And I will have my cameras with me.

Joe
Here is a playlist of all my Flyzone Beaver videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...56fiZ1ik2oMc3A
Do you know the e-mail address of somebody named "calle" who makes graphics? Best Regards, Michael Moore
Michael Moore is offline Find More Posts by Michael Moore
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:09 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
Do you know the e-mail address of somebody named "calle" who makes graphics? Best Regards, Michael Moore
It is:
http://www.callie-graphics.com/

Joe
Old May 22, 2014, 12:56 PM
United States, SC, Indian Land
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
DionysusDesign Servo Rate Reducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert View Post

Joe
Thanks for the info. I am interested in the servo rate reducer for the Flaps. There is a 4 sec version and a 6 sec version, which would be better? Michael Moore
Michael Moore is offline Find More Posts by Michael Moore