HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,119 Posts
Discussion
Lipo charge rate question.

I have some new 4s 2200mah 40-50c Turnigy batteries. My question is what charge rate can they safely handle?
Charger is a Tenergy TB6B balance charger. I can select charge amperage by the 10th of the amp.
Seems to me a battery which can discharge at 40a could charge higher than 1 or 2... regardless of the setting the charger will finish the battery at a very reduced leveling phase.
What's the rules of thumb here?
Thank you for any input.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,042 Posts
Per Hobbyking, the Turnigy 40C packs can be safely charged at up to 5C. For your particular pack, this would be 11 amps, which is likely well beyond the maximum capability of your charger for a 4S pack.

I would suggest somewhere between 1-3C (2.2-6.6A) if you're not in a big hurry. Also recommend that you always charge with balance lead attached, whether performing balance charge or not.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Per Hobbyking, the Turnigy 40C packs can be safely charged at up to 5C. For your particular pack, this would be 11 amps, which is likely well beyond the maximum capability of your charger for a 4S pack.

I would suggest somewhere between 1-3C (2.2-6.6A) if you're not in a big hurry. Also recommend that you always charge with balance lead attached, whether performing balance charge or not.

Mark
Thank you for your input. I do always charge with balance lead attached. Charger has charge and balance charge mode.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4