HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:05 AM
This is kid stuff.
Mazzepa1's Avatar
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
875 Posts
Derrick,
I'm very interested in hearing the effect on flight performance that the increase of wing loading vs overall weight reduction has on (Da') Dronkey.

I'm also curious about your motor mount. Is that a piece of angle aluminum attached with machine screws/hex nuts?

Never seen anyone cut big holes in the wing before.
Isn't it cool that these things are so cheap it makes for such willingness to experiment?
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
What's the purpose of the flap? Does it move in both directions or only up? And, most importantly, what's the effect in the air?

Azarr
The flap currently only moves up. It can go both ways but we haven't tried having it go down yet.

These wings can fly pretty slow, but they are hard to keep level with little throttle. The flap allows a slower and more stable flight when you really wanna make them crawl.
derrickh78 is offline Find More Posts by derrickh78
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
Don't look at me like that....
62pilot's Avatar
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Keep up the good work guys. We tried rudders on one and it didn't make any diff unless you were inverted and slow. I'm currently thinking of a new one with canards.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:18 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Dronkey: Do you have some thin plastic covering over the holes in the wing, or are those just great big holes?

If they are open, seems like you've lost a LOT of wing area and lift ???
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:47 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzepa1 View Post
Derrick,
I'm very interested in hearing the effect on flight performance that the increase of wing loading vs overall weight reduction has on (Da') Dronkey.

I'm also curious about your motor mount. Is that a piece of angle aluminum attached with machine screws/hex nuts?

Never seen anyone cut big holes in the wing before.
Isn't it cool that these things are so cheap it makes for such willingness to experiment?
Im gonna be honest with you, I have no idea what "wing loading" is and im too tired to look it up right now. I will find out a weight soon and let you know though. Im kind of interested in that myself.

Yes, the motor mount is a 1"x1" piece of aluminum angle and yes this one has machine screws with nylon lock nuts. The small blind nuts with the teeth on them work well too as they bite into the wing when tightened and the extra surface on them acts as a washer. So far, the way you see the motor mounted on "Da Dronkey" (what a stupid name) seems to be the best with that mount and lowers the motor closer to the center of the cutout for the prop. It also pushes against the corplast when it spools up and resits the flexing and eventual breakage from just mounting the angle on top of the wing and running the bolts down through the bottom.
derrickh78 is offline Find More Posts by derrickh78
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Dronkey: Do you have some thin plastic covering over the holes in the wing, or are those just great big holes?

If they are open, seems like you've lost a LOT of wing area and lift ???
Just great big holes! The roll rate improved dramatically and while I thought I was going to lose a lot of lift, I think that because the center of the wing between the vertical stabs was left intact, I lost next to nothing in the way of lift.

I also hit another wing Thursday night on the side of my wing and thought it would dent it badly or rip through and it barely showed a wrinkle and that was with no support. I guess I wont bother adding any (I had previously planned to put some skewers through it...the ones you buy for kebabs; also those are what i have pinning the vertical stabs to the wing and they work fantastic).

Had the plane not flown just as well, if not better, I had planned to cover the holes with clear tape or something of the like, but its not necessary.
derrickh78 is offline Find More Posts by derrickh78
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Ive made about 40 of these in the last 6 months and scrapped them for various reasons (ie. didnt fly well, got hit, motor broke through, too many rough landings, etc.)

Here are just a few pics.










Have a great weekend.
derrickh78 is offline Find More Posts by derrickh78
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
This is kid stuff.
Mazzepa1's Avatar
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickh78 View Post
Just great big holes! The roll rate improved dramatically and while I thought I was going to lose a lot of lift, I think that because the center of the wing between the vertical stabs was left intact, I lost next to nothing in the way of lift.

I also hit another wing Thursday night on the side of my wing and thought it would dent it badly or rip through and it barely showed a wrinkle and that was with no support. I guess I wont bother adding any (I had previously planned to put some skewers through it...the ones you buy for kebabs; also those are what i have pinning the vertical stabs to the wing and they work fantastic).

Had the plane not flown just as well, if not better, I had planned to cover the holes with clear tape or something of the like, but its not necessary.
Well I'll be darned, I didn't even think of the possibility of roll rate improvement. That's good to hear, the roll seems a bit sluggish on mine. I put it down to being a little underpowered. I'll try upping the motor size first, but if that doesn't get me where I want for roll rate, I may have to cut me out a "ventilated wing" Hog as the one I've got flies so darn nice I'm reluctant to try anything I can't easily reverse.

I nominate you for Chief of R&D at the HogWurkz. Carry on, you seem to have just the right amount of crazy about you for the job.
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzepa1 View Post
Well I'll be darned, I didn't even think of the possibility of roll rate improvement. That's good to hear, the roll seems a bit sluggish on mine. I put it down to being a little underpowered. I'll try upping the motor size first, but if that doesn't get me where I want for roll rate, I may have to cut me out a "ventilated wing" Hog as the one I've got flies so darn nice I'm reluctant to try anything I can't easily reverse.

I nominate you for Chief of R&D at the HogWurkz. Carry on, you seem to have just the right amount of crazy about you for the job.
I dont know about crazy, but I'm pretty reckless and when it comes to this hobby, I'm just a beginner. If I had someone to tell me that what I'm doing wouldn't work, its possible I may not have even tried it. Its one of those, "Aw, what the hell" type decisions I keep making.

I think a bigger motor and adding extra throw in your servos, or upgrading your servos will make the biggest difference in your roll rates. Be advised though, that too much throw can render this Hog unflyable...or at least it did for me. Keep us posted!
derrickh78 is offline Find More Posts by derrickh78
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
I wanna get away, I wanna fly.
United States, MO, Cape Girardeau
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
That Da Dronkey looks familiar. I believe I saw it fly in Cape Girardeau. Wished you guys lived closer Derrick. I enjoyed watching you guys fly and tinker with the combat planes. Tell Craig and Derris I said Hey.
Tony. SEMMA Member.
riverpilot69 is offline Find More Posts by riverpilot69
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverpilot69 View Post
That Da Dronkey looks familiar. I believe I saw it fly in Cape Girardeau. Wished you guys lived closer Derrick. I enjoyed watching you guys fly and tinker with the combat planes. Tell Craig and Derris I said Hey.
Tony. SEMMA Member.
You got it man!
derrickh78 is offline Find More Posts by derrickh78
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:35 PM
This is kid stuff.
Mazzepa1's Avatar
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
875 Posts
As promised, my wild Hog has been promoted to Wild Hog. The Emax CF 2822 has been replaced by an EMax BL 2215/20 swinging a GWS DD 9050 prop.

Yahoo! fun went to funner, plane is better in every way. Loops easily from level, slow flight. Just punch it a bit and roll in the elevator. Does nice, big loops now, too. Point the nose up, full throttle and do elevon rolls until it starts getting too small.

I started learning inverted flight. Hairy at first as my Hog was a good bit nose heavy. Roll it over and it headed for terra firma at an alarming rate. One of the old hands helped do some trimming as in moving the battery back a bit at a time. By the end of the day, the Hog didn't care if it was right or down side up, it'd just cruise right along @ approx 1/3 throttle and neutral elevator.

Ive done several of the vertical dives to 20' or so and banging the up elevator. First couple of times I was so busy watching the plane I stayed on the elevator too long and the Hog just did a nice loop while it was waiting for me to start flying again. What-a-hoot!

I'm seriously considering a slap-and-go on our grass strip. Ya see there's a nice little patch of thick bermuda grass right in the middle and I figure if I can........
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Last edited by Mazzepa1; Jul 23, 2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: correct typo
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:09 PM
Don't look at me like that....
62pilot's Avatar
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Aint that fun. I've seen entire flights inverted, from launch to landing.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
will a 920 kv with a 20 amp speed controller and a 8 x 8.3 slo fly prop fly this plane if not what are the prop suggestions or do i need to mount this set up in my sc thanks
truckinhard088 is online now Find More Posts by truckinhard088
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:07 PM
This is kid stuff.
Mazzepa1's Avatar
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinhard088 View Post
will a 920 kv with a 20 amp speed controller and a 8 x 8.3 slo fly prop fly this plane if not what are the prop suggestions or do i need to mount this set up in my sc thanks
Not too many posts on this great plane, but you can already see a wide variety of motor/prop combinations being successfully used. The Wild Hog will fly slow or fast, and do either very well. It's a very versatile plane, as well as a blast to throw around in the sky. It can take a lot of punishment and survive, so go ahead and get in over your head with the sticks.

You didn't mention the size or power of your motor. The Hog's durability does come with the inevitable weight penalty, but if your motor will swing an SF 8x3.8 with authority, I say strap it on a Wild Hog and get in on the fun.

What's an sc?
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Electro Hog Bipe (Sig Astro Hog) Ed Couch Glow to Electric Conversions 27 Jun 28, 2009 11:03 PM
Video Wild Wild Wild Hawk mark963 Electric Plane Talk 9 Jan 24, 2008 11:53 AM
Sold Sig Astro Hog / Hog Bipe Glass Cowl wfortney99 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 06, 2006 08:36 PM