SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
302 Posts
Guys, really simple question; sorry :/

What are the specs of the Skysurfer stock motor?

Many thanks

Andy
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
Guys, really simple question; sorry :/

What are the specs of the Skysurfer stock motor?

Many thanks

Andy
From the first page:

Specs & Definitions:
Motor Specs - Brushless
Here are the numbers (all static with WattsUp meter):
2000Kv
TGS 6x4E
11.18 Ap
11.37 Vm (stock battery)
129.2 Wp
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 AM
Registered User
taz101's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,032 Posts
Sky Surfer V5!!!

Just thought you all would like to see this!!!
Sky Surfer V5 Teaser! You Ready?? In HD! (1 min 26 sec)


LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:27 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Tom Harper's Avatar
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,616 Posts
A sort of a saga

I've been designing and building for a long time but never bothered to get much stick time on my own models. So, I decided to get a highly recommended ARF and just follow the instructions. I got a Bizler from Hobby King and followed the meager instructions right up to the part where you test the motor. Bad deal! I had a glued together model with a bad motor. Have since discovered that the stock motor has poor magnet placement.

Hobby King did replace the motor (after some wrangling) and they replaced it with a very nice Turnigy 2826-6. All well and good except the goal of a stock trainer is out the window. The new motor takes a 7:3 prop and a 40A ESC.

Anyway with the help of this thread I made the mods and added a couple - plywood floor and spruce skid on the bottom of the fuse. Makes for an uncluttered installation. The open nose bay will handle a 4000mah lipo.

Hope to fly it next week.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:28 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Harper View Post
I've been designing and building for a long time but never bothered to get much stick time on my own models. So, I decided to get a highly recommended ARF and just follow the instructions. I got a Bizler from Hobby King and followed the meager instructions right up to the part where you test the motor. Bad deal! I had a glued together model with a bad motor. Have since discovered that the stock motor has poor magnet placement.

Hobby King did replace the motor (after some wrangling) and they replaced it with a very nice Turnigy 2826-6. All well and good except the goal of a stock trainer is out the window. The new motor takes a 7:3 prop and a 40A ESC.

Anyway with the help of this thread I made the mods and added a couple - plywood floor and spruce skid on the bottom of the fuse. Makes for an uncluttered installation. The open nose bay will handle a 4000mah lipo.



Hope to fly it next week.

Tom
Tom, I think you're gonna have a ball with this plane! And your layout is as neat and clean as I have seen.

I taught myself to fly using one of these things, and a big open field. It flew 28 times. I crashed it 15 times, fixed it re-fixed it. I put a three axis Gyro board in it because the wind was never ending and it was such a blessing.

I'm on my third plane of this type it's the Bixler ll. It has wider wings and fuselage that is really too short for its wingspan. It's an FPV plane, that's what it was made for. I love flying it but the regular Bixler is a better airplane in my opinion.

I got that same motor and ESC set up on mine. That's a lot of power and your plane could probably handle it better than mine. I don't think it's going to interfere with your intent to increase your air time that's exactly what I'm using mine for.

For what ever reason my flight club with its superb airfield seems not to have seen one of these fly. So whenever I bring mine out we all have fun. I have my pilots license I see it as a learner's permit. I've been involved in this hobby for 10 months and I have 10 airplanes but the one that I can fly with competence is the sky surfer.

I think you chose just the right plane.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:25 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Tom Harper's Avatar
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,616 Posts
Sculptor,

Thanks for the comments.

We'll see how it goes.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Cooling

I flew my Bixler 1.1 twice last week. Mixed results.

I lost communication at about 250 M which makes me nervous. This is a Rx-TX issue. I have the Tunigy 9X with their standard module. HK tells me that there are no other Rx's that will bind with this. So for now (unless someone knows better) I will have to stay close.

The wings came off on one flight (it was windy). I have a 4 sets of magnets, but this was not enought. I am going to use the screw holes, and try to create a sheer pin out of a bamboo skewer (perhaps split in half).

The other issue that I need to solve is cooling. My ESC is getting very hot. I do not really want to mount it on the outside. I want to cut air cooling intakes and exits to cool down the ESC.

Has anyone done this? Can you post pictures of your work so that I can learn from your experience. People have talked about spoon scoops. Any pictures appreciated.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:54 PM
Thread Crapper
JohnVH's Avatar
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,843 Posts
why not just use the origional screws? Put in a better carbon spar and its done.
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:57 PM
Gravity impaired
jrjr's Avatar
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
The other issue that I need to solve is cooling. My ESC is getting very hot. I do not really want to mount it on the outside. I want to cut air cooling intakes and exits to cool down the ESC.

Has anyone done this? Can you post pictures of your work so that I can learn from your experience. People have talked about spoon scoops. Any pictures appreciated.
NACA duct

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=278

jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
NACA Duct:

Nice. And they will even mail to me.

What is the exhaust like. Someone told me that I need twice as much exhaust as input, or my canopy will pop off.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:10 PM
Gravity impaired
jrjr's Avatar
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
NACA Duct:

Nice. And they will even mail to me.

What is the exhaust like. Someone told me that I need twice as much exhaust as input, or my canopy will pop off.
I just made a hole on top of fuse under prop area. Not sure of size but about 1/2" to 3/4" or so. No canopy issues.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:45 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Nov 2012
49 Posts
I'm a newbe as you can see from my entrance date into RC Groups. But not a newbie into life -- 73 years. I have been watching a friend fly different Picos, and they are completely silent when they fly.

The Bixler sounds like a fun plane. Since I've never seen a Bixler fly, Is the motor that comes with it silent like the Pico????
Ron Christensen is offline Find More Posts by Ron Christensen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:00 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Christensen View Post
I'm a newbe as you can see from my entrance date into RC Groups. But not a newbie into life -- 73 years. I have been watching a friend fly different Picos, and they are completely silent when they fly.

The Bixler sounds like a fun plane. Since I've never seen a Bixler fly, Is the motor that comes with it silent like the Pico????

Hi Ron.
No it's not. The Bixler kinda sounds like a pissed off bumble bee. The Pico uses a lower kv motor with a gearbox and 10 inch prop. The Bixler uses a higher kv motor with a smaller prop that causes more noise, The reason being is since the Bixler has a rear mounted motor and it's prop is limited to 6 inches so it needs a higher kv (rpm) motor to produce the power for flight.

Welcome to the thread Ron!
Gene
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:23 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Christensen View Post
I'm a newbe as you can see from my entrance date into RC Groups. But not a newbie into life -- 73 years. I have been watching a friend fly different Picos, and they are completely silent when they fly.

The Bixler sounds like a fun plane. Since I've never seen a Bixler fly, Is the motor that comes with it silent like the Pico????
Welcome Ron, I think you will enjoy it if you just put it together and fly it. You made terror of two or three of them as I did. But it's a beautiful airplane to fly. I wouldn't worry too much about sound this stage.

Ron, I hope you enjoy the sky surfer power glider planes. They are a bunch of fun.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Sandancer's Avatar
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I flew my Bixler 1.1 twice last week. Mixed results.

I lost communication at about 250 M which makes me nervous. This is a Rx-TX issue. I have the Tunigy 9X with their standard module. HK tells me that there are no other Rx's that will bind with this. So for now (unless someone knows better) I will have to stay close.

The wings came off on one flight (it was windy). I have a 4 sets of magnets, but this was not enought. I am going to use the screw holes, and try to create a sheer pin out of a bamboo skewer (perhaps split in half).

The other issue that I need to solve is cooling. My ESC is getting very hot. I do not really want to mount it on the outside. I want to cut air cooling intakes and exits to cool down the ESC.

Has anyone done this? Can you post pictures of your work so that I can learn from your experience. People have talked about spoon scoops. Any pictures appreciated.
I have relative info on my "The 1400mm Sky Surfer: My Build!" pg.

Gary

Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 02:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 02:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 02:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 01:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 05:28 PM