HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:41 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
Ok, If I am going to use one battery, a 4S as mentioned earlier, then I need to step it down to 12V for the Vtx and camera and the 5 v I can get from a seperate BEC. The question is how do I get a reliable 12v in that type of setup?
This is a pretty simple way to do it.
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Adjustabl...EPIC-Type.html
Combine with http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Power-Sup...-L-C-Type.html
to provide clean power to your FPV gear.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:22 PM
Cape Cod
tom3holer's Avatar
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
Shadrack,
How do you get 12V from your current sensor if you are using a 4s battery?

Ian,
That looks like a good idea. I will order both of them.

I guess most of the guys run 2 batteries to simplify things at the cost of weight.
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:47 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
got to disagree kstmark.
even the guys that build the stuff say one battery.
extra weight, and if you build a small lcfilter, you can clean up the power perfectly. I have no noise at all and run a one battery system.
To me, I would just get a good 5v camera, I use a 600 line rmrc wdr and it is great.
Cost me 100 bucks, but love that my system runs very efficient, I see my amp usage as a total of servos, camera, motor, and osd/receiver.
My current sensor feeds 12V to my vTx, which gives 5V to my camera. I have an LC filter on the power from the current sensor to the vTx.
Have no noise at all.
I plug in one battery.
I can hold altitude at about 40 kph and 4 amps into a slight wind. That is 4 amps total including my osd, autopilot, limited servo use, 600mW vTx, and uhf diversity receiver. Plus the camera, and 2 servos for pan and tilt.
Still have rssi values in the high 60's and low 70's at 3km away.
Love this setup.
Shadrack, are you seriously suggesting that the poster tom3holer buy a new camera to solve his problem? So by your account, in order to get power for his Video system from a 4S battery he needs:

New LC filter
New 5V camera
New VTX that makes 5V for camera

Instead of just running a separate 800mAh or so Video battery?

Honestly, some of the “advice” from supposedly experienced people on this thread is shocking. Just because it’s a system that works for you, doesn’t mean that it will work for someone else given the parts he already has.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:48 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,479 Posts
The only important bit is, it's possible to get clear and clean video in either configuration, and
there's lots of ways to achieve it.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:10 AM
Crash or unscheduled landing?
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Nice paint job. What type of expanding foam did you use if you don't mind me asking.?.
Just regular DIY squirty foam for filling gaps in brickwork etc. The damaged area was too irregular and large for a foam insert. Be careful not to use industrial foams that expand too much!
Tested in an old plastic cup first. This also demonstrated that it was necessary to leave 24 hours to finish expanding and harden completely.
Trimmed off the excess with a sharp blade and then sanded down. [pic]
There were a couple of small air bubbles, but these were filled with filler.
I also had to remove the excess foam that had filled the air-hole exit from the fuselage.
ffinybryn is offline Find More Posts by ffinybryn
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:24 AM
Registered User
mauromassari's Avatar
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
I'm slowly moving along assembling my SW

Never had a need to use BEC before but it seems like a commonly accepted thing that a bird as fat as a SW should be equipped with a BEC...

Now, I am going to use 4S setup with a 60A ESC (or 80A if 60A gets alarmingly hot during tests) and a bigger motor that together with a 10*6 prop will draw about 40A at 80 %.
ESC has a built-in switching 3A BEC.
4 digital servos + currently 1, later 2 analog servos for camera control.
Camera and video Tx are going to be fed from a separate 3S battery.

Do I really (really-really) need a 5A BEC for the servos only?

I do have it already, so it is not a question of money. I just see no point in adding an extra piece of equipment. People usually say, we might need BEC in case the ESC fries, but in my setup ESC will have more than enough power (and if I go for an 80A one it might only get slightly warm at all).
I agree with all the other that answer YES, you do have to use a external BEC. There are been a lot of crashes that was related to a lost of control because of a burned ESC internal BEC. You can loose you motor but not the control of your airplane. Personaly I use a 20Amp BEC, I know is too much but the difference in price was so small that I rather go bigger. It is just using a LPF on your Vtx, is a must have. Hope it helps.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:49 AM
Cape Cod
tom3holer's Avatar
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
Thanks again everyone. I am just returning to FPV after almost a 2 year hiatus. Things have changed quite a bit in 2 years and its taking a while to get cought up.

Thanks again,

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:36 AM
Crash=start of next project
CN I Dawg's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
Thanks again everyone. I am just returning to FPV after almost a 2 year hiatus. Things have changed quite a bit in 2 years and its taking a while to get cought up.

Thanks again,

Tom
Not to beat already beaten horse (search threads for 2 bats vs 1, or UBEC's) but you may find this link helpful; http://www.bhabbott.net.nz/Servo.html
You can see clearly why Digital Servos consume more current.
Also, for you fans of UBEC's, why not be extra cautious for a few $ more http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_System.html or this; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...batteri+backup
Best,
Steven
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Last edited by CN I Dawg; Oct 10, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Cape Cod
tom3holer's Avatar
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
Stephen, Is that a Jack Russell I see?

No, That horse is alive and well. I am anxious to see all possibilities in this setup. Thank you for the input. I will look at it this evening.......the wife is giving me the evil eye as I am supposed to be cleaning out the basement today.

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:53 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
Not to beat already beaten horse (search threads for 2 bats vs 1, or UBEC's) but you may find this link helpful; http://www.bhabbott.net.nz/Servo.html
You can see clearly why Digital Servos consume more current.
Also, for you fans of UBEC's, why not be extra cautious for a few $ more http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_System.html or this; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...batteri+backup
Best,
Steven
But there's still a single point of failure possible. This only makes sense if the controller is more reliable than the UBECs. Is it? Or is this a gimmick? I really don't know. Anyone know?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Shadrack's Avatar
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Shadrack, are you seriously suggesting that the poster tom3holer buy a new camera to solve his problem? So by your account, in order to get power for his Video system from a 4S battery he needs:

New LC filter
New 5V camera
New VTX that makes 5V for camera

Instead of just running a separate 800mAh or so Video battery?

Honestly, some of the “advice” from supposedly experienced people on this thread is shocking. Just because it’s a system that works for you, doesn’t mean that it will work for someone else given the parts he already has.
And if you look back I gave him a few options.
You think the best way to give a solution is to add a battery?
Sure, if it is a stop gap solution.
I guess my "advice" from "experienced" people is advice from the people that are electrical engineers, and people that actually design fpv equipment.
I followed their advice.
You can follow whatever you like.
I tend to copy people that have successive setups.

LC filter is ferite coil (free from an old motherboard) and a capaciter, about 5 cents, and some wire.
The immersion vTx puts out 5V for the camera.
Take it for what you want, but I guess I get surprised by how many "experts" do things the easy way, not necessarily the right way.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
But there's still a single point of failure possible. This only makes sense if the controller is more reliable than the UBECs. Is it? Or is this a gimmick? I really don't know. Anyone know?
I don't want to beat the one vs two battery argument any more, as it's been done to death way too much anyway. All I want to say is that you'll just have to try and look past this "single point of failure" being a problem. Your FPV plane is full of single points of failure, the most critical and fault prone being the pilot, followed by all the hundreds of mechanical and electrical components that in series keep your aircraft in the air. If any one of them fails, you're pretty much down, so trying to avoid that by adding complexity is folly in my opinion.

Sub.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
I don't want to beat the one vs two battery argument any more, as it's been done to death way too much anyway. All I want to say is that you'll just have to try and look past this "single point of failure" being a problem. Your FPV plane is full of single points of failure, the most critical and fault prone being the pilot, followed by all the hundreds of mechanical and electrical components that in series keep your aircraft in the air. If any one of them fails, you're pretty much down, so trying to avoid that by adding complexity is folly in my opinion.

Sub.
That's kind of my thoughts too... but not completely convinced. Intuition says it's folly.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,504 Posts
Not to mention all that could happen on the side of the GS
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:29 PM
3D Crazy
Meez's Avatar
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
785 Posts
i still remember an old chap told me this, 'add more stuffs and you add more evil on the plane'.

Kind of agree to me.
Meez is offline Find More Posts by Meez
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Best plane for FPV while on vacation? patricklupo FPV Aircraft 23 Aug 08, 2010 06:27 AM
Cool FPV plane rescue with an FPV truck :-) AnthonyRC FPV Aircraft 17 Feb 24, 2008 10:45 PM
For Sale Skywalker plane and a bunch of extras moody07747 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Sep 19, 2006 09:34 PM
Discussion Aviator Skywalker RC plane given to me moody07747 Electric Plane Talk 46 Sep 12, 2006 11:45 AM