New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2015, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by brokenspar
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,284 Posts
Build Log
Guillow's Spitfire for Complete a Project 2015

This has been a work in progress for about 4 years. Maybe this will be the year for completion? This kit is from the Guillow's "400" series (first kitted in 1962), with a span of 27 3/4".

Changes I'll be making:

Modified wing airfoil
Plug-in landing gear
Paper mache engine cowl
Laminated leading and trailing edges
Electric power, with three channels of RET
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Last edited by brokenspar; Jun 13, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2015, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Onward and upward.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,866 Posts
Looks good, Pete. I made one of these many years ago, converted it for Control line ops. It flew very well until a gust blew it into me and the lines went slack. I converted it to a Mk-IX. It was the first time I had used silkspan for covering. It will be interesting to see how you finish it.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jun 13, 2015, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
3,197 Posts
Nice start. There's lots to build in a Guillows kit. For all the weight a pair of 5g servos would add, I'd have ailerons .
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jun 13, 2015, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,512 Posts
Why change airfoil section??
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jun 14, 2015, 04:08 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,996 Posts
Nice project Pete, I'll post your entry and hopefully this will help with the impetus to complete it.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jun 14, 2015, 06:14 AM
Find More Posts by Paul_BB
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
904 Posts
The new airfoil looks better than the old one. I'm sure the airplane will gain from it. Sharp leading edges are not recommended. Good luck.

-Paul
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Jun 14, 2015, 07:47 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Why change airfoil section??
The original section, totally flat right to the front with a very sharp LE looks to me as if it might have rather "sudden" stall characteristics which, coupled with the elliptical wing might well produce rather "interesting" (not interesting in a good way!) handling in a radio model. I think bs is very wise to thicken the LE up slightly and add a touch of Phillip's entry, it certainly won't make the resulting model any worse and it might well make it quite a bit better.

As an aside I have done exactly the same thing on my current build, the Lulu which also had this type of LE. Worked fine on the very light (3 ounce) F/F version but I feel my change, plus turbulator spars will produce better results in an R/C one weighing twice as much.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,531 Posts
Yup a sharp L/E makes for nasty stalls.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jun 14, 2015, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by brokenspar
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,284 Posts
Thanks, all.

Oops, I meant aileron, elevator, throttle, not RET. A pair of tiny servos will drive the ailerons.

The sharp wing leading edge is definitely something to avoid. There's a lot of discussion on it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Joined Sep 2007
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
The original section, totally flat right to the front with a very sharp LE looks to me as if it might have rather "sudden" stall characteristics which, coupled with the elliptical wing might well produce rather "interesting" (not interesting in a good way!) handling in a radio model. I think bs is very wise to thicken the LE up slightly and add a touch of Phillip's entry, it certainly won't make the resulting model any worse and it might well make it quite a bit better.
Definitely a good move, IMO however the new foil now is positioned at a greater AOA.
Possibly it is worth to rise the TE or lower the LE a bit.
Nice model. Subscribed!
Guizzo 17 is online now Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Jun 15, 2015, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by Paul_BB
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guizzo 17 View Post
Definitely a good move, IMO however the new foil now is positioned at a greater AOA.
I have computed the polars of the original Clark Y and a flattened version for two Reynolds numbers: 70k and 50k, Reynolds numbers the Spit should encounter in flight. I don't know if the following analysis is correct but here goes.
Note: the flattened Clark Y has been normalized (length = 1) but not derotated.

The airfoils stall characteristics seem close (I'm not sure the Xfoil program captures well the stall characteristics) whereas the behavior of the flat airfoil is not very smooth for small AoAs (high speed).
Beyond that the polars are quite similar, especially the lift coefficient CL versus alpha curves. So the flight attitude (fuselage incidence) should be the same if the two airfoils are set at the same angle.
The main difference is the Neutral Point moment coefficient Cm: that of the original Clark Y (smooth leading edge) is 20% (absolute value) smaller and so requires a little less trimming (up elevator).

I would leave the wing incidence as it is and maybe change slightly the incidence of the stabilizer or leave it as it is and trim with the radio.
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Last edited by Paul_BB; Jun 15, 2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 05:15 AM
Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Joined Sep 2007
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB View Post
I have computed the polars ..........................................
....................I would leave the wing incidence as it is and maybe change slightly the incidence of the stabilizer or leave it as it is and trim with the radio.
Ok. I see that your airfoil analysis has more solid bases than my guesstimation. Go for it!
Guizzo 17 is online now Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Jun 15, 2015, 05:37 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB View Post
..........whereas the behavior of the flat airfoil is not very smooth for small AoAs (high speed).
Yep, that's what I meant by "sudden" - all the rest passed 2 feet over my head but it is always nice when the theory agrees with what actually happens!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by JeffMac
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
1,043 Posts
hi BS-

nice project I like it !

best regards,

jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post

As an aside I have done exactly the same thing on my current build, the Lulu which also had this type of LE. Worked fine on the very light (3 ounce) F/F version but I feel my change, plus turbulator spars will produce better results in an R/C one weighing twice as much.
Understood, George. I also agree about the LE on any model. Thanks!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca