New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by pdooley
You can call me Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
1,837 Posts
a flybar heli is like a car with a manual transmission. both are dying out but I still like them.
pdooley is offline Find More Posts by pdooley
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,833 Posts
Most of my 450's have fly-bars. Two of newest are FBL. I like them better, but others will be fine. I know many build kits and using clone k-bars etc. Many claim thet are greatest. Maybe so and depends on how good set-up is done. I'm maxed out on helis and will be for a long time.
I have Forza 450 3 D kit complete with Tags mini. Plus an older Exi Carbon pro 450. No rush to build either but need to get some extra parts for Forza. If heli flys well I don't care if it has fly-bar or FBL.
My most fun car was Plymouth Road Runner/ 383 Magnum/ 4 speed.
Bought brand new in 1968. I put first few miles on it at car dealership. Odometer read .05 miles on it. 1969 model. Wonder how many can not drive a stick tranny ??
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley View Post
a flybar heli is like a car with a manual transmission. both are dying out but I still like them.
My car is a manual transmission, hand crank windows, am/fm radio, antenna sticking out up front, and metal bumpers. Can't more classic than that And I fly a fb heli

I bought mine when I didn't know anything about anything, and the Blade 450 3D came with a battery, charger, and a DX6i radio. The 450x came with the heli...
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by elan
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,694 Posts
I actually prefer fly-bar helis. I like the mechanical tuning, the extra head parts that reduce the servo load, lack of an on board computer and the analogue as opposed to digital feel in flight. All that being said, I know the majoity of folks have a different opinion on this and I'm okay with that :-)
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Aug 25, 2015, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by pdooley
You can call me Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
1,837 Posts
well you still have 1 computer unless you're flying with the tail servo plugged in the receiver.
pdooley is offline Find More Posts by pdooley
Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by elan
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley View Post
well you still have 1 computer unless you're flying with the tail servo plugged in the receiver.
-I don't know if that's a fair statment; it seems to me there is a difference between the "gyro sensor" in my tail gyro and a fbl computer (3 axis and in some cases 6 axis mixing) just my opinion. I am not dissing fbl helis and I know my opinion is in the minority...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Today, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by humblefliar
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
Yeah i think i just got bitten once or twice by FBL when i was first tuning my heli. Once i landed and spoke to a neighbor for about 15min then went to spool up again and the heli wanted to dig itself into the ground nose in. Maybe it was the moons gravitation pull, or the Coriolis effect of the earth hehe who knows but the gyro slowly crept away from center....So now i literal eyeball the swash at all start ups even if i may shave some eyebrows in the process..Hence with flybar i dont think that would happen.
humblefliar is online now Find More Posts by humblefliar
Old Today, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by wattflyer
Vero Beach, Florida
Joined Oct 2008
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humblefliar View Post
Once i landed and spoke to a neighbor for about 15min then went to spool up again and the heli wanted to dig itself into the ground nose in. ....So now i literal eyeball the swash at all start ups even if i may shave some eyebrows in the process..Hence with flybar i dont think that would happen.
I can see how that can happen, over that 15 min one could inadvertenly move the transmitter sticks and the flybarless control system would be trying (waiting) to compensate.

Thanks for the heads up on this, never considered a prolonged wait to fly after a touchdown.
wattflyer is online now Find More Posts by wattflyer