Old Today, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
8,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
I'm late in the conversation but I thought using "cage" type connectors was a bad idea because of their failure rate?
That is kind of part of what we were talking about. Mostly the failure of EC5 plugs with "standard" bullets. Which I guess is what your calling "cage type". The type in my photos above. I was just saying that I use them without failures because I change them pretty often. It helps that RJX sells a 15 pair pack now for about $15. I also made mention of the cylindrical cut spring type because most people believe these pass more current from having more surface area and thus might expect less failures. In-fact I was just looking for a picture of them to show when I realized that there is a whole new type of cylindrical spring EC5. The male end just looks better machined with rounded tips and less gap between the "leafs" of the spring cut. The original ones like this that I got from hobbyking or somewhere don't have the round tip and they don't look nice and smooth like these do.

I checked some of the EC5 stuff I have and I actually have both types that came on premade parallel or serial adapters or something. I attached some photos below so you can see where the two types are a little different. The newer ones look like they would be much easier to plug and unplug. The old ones I have in the first picture take Hercules just to plug together fully. Forget about unplugging at all after fully seated.. They will friction fuse without some kind of oil between them. Even then, they just bite into the metal or something.

However LMH says he uses both types EC5 plug and has had both types fail. So in reality we were just talking about how EC5s suck.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,478 Posts
Yeah, both types are in use at our field and I have both in my collection. One thing I did or do like about the larger non caged male plugs is it is quite easy to spread them and tighten up the connectors.
Who knows? I wouldn't say they suck, but the luck we seem to be having with them this season sure does. Those are some fantastic pics you posted up, I sure wish my Sony cam had a better lens for that kind of work. I look forward to picking a close up lens some day. Nicely done!

I even have a pure silver nano compound that was sent to me to field test I tried that totally eliminates micro arc'ing in all the connections. The guy that invented it hangs here at RCG and is def a genius.
What we thought would happen would be longer flight times, but in fact it shortened them. As we began getting pure voltage through the connections with much more power being transmitted. So my motors and esc's actually warmed up a notch. But, with the dirty conditions at our fav field, it wasn't long before the connectors picked up tons of grit. So I stopped using it.

I also prepped my old DX8 with the stuff, which took days and the new owner I sold it to had no clue what that actually meant. And the TX gained some distance for sure.
Basically, all the guys, every one of us doing any kind of 3d work at all had failures. The rest of the guys flying easy sport have been immune it seems.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Today, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
California Style
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,633 Posts
The CC esc will destroy plugs when it sparks. I have had good luck with plug life using the YEP any YGE esc due to the built in spark suppression .
airboss/oc is online now Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old Today, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
8,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Those are some fantastic pics you posted up, I sure wish my Sony cam had a better lens for that kind of work. I look forward to picking a close up lens some day. Nicely done!

Thanks, It's a little bit of work. I've learned a few tricks, but I sure don't just shoot them and have them come out like that. My camera isn't all that good, really. But it does have a close up focus mode that helps. It's a Nikon Coolpix L28. It's 20.1 megapixels so it has some nice resolution. All of those photos were taken at about 1 to 1.5 feet away in the highest resolution. Then I cropped them down to just the plugs and adjusted some shadow/highlight and levels in Photoshop. I guess the camera isn't that bad either, ay? but it is a couple years old now, and by far not a pro camera. Either way, the last comment I remember someone making about my heli photography a couple years back wasn't so nice. So, this is refreshing, lol. I used similar techniques recently when photographing my X3 Gold build. Except with that I didn't use the flash very much.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk