It looks good in the air Mike.

Tom
Trisquire is online now Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jun 02, 2013, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
2,447 Posts
Forgot to mention on the next flight after I got the mixture right I tried a spin and it dropped right in, much to my surprise. I donít remember my original being able to spin, so maybe my wing airfoil and rudder mod are working out pretty well.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Old Jun 02, 2013, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by pathfinder
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
883 Posts
Nice flying.She looks great in ther air.I bet that ole ST.sounds awsome!

J.P.
pathfinder is online now Find More Posts by pathfinder
Old Jun 02, 2013, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by doxilia
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,466 Posts
Mike,

well done on another perfectly executed classic!

Thanks for bringing your talent over to the dark side... I think it just caught a ray of sun!

Looking forward to the next one.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Jun 08, 2013, 02:26 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
2,447 Posts
Interesting 1973 Super Tigre G21 46 engine review by Peter Chinn http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...T%20G21-46.pdf

Mike
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:15 AM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
2,447 Posts
Here is a link to my design that I did in 1968 after my Skylark 56 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1894028 It is basically a highly modified Skylark with a swept back wing called Sabre 56. This build is a recreation of my original Sabre 56 using known Skylark parameters and a old Saber 56 picture.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Sep 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by shootnstarz
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
362 Posts
I learned to fly with one of these, thanks for posting the thread, and the memories.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Oct 02, 2013, 07:12 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
2,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnstarz View Post
I learned to fly with one of these, thanks for posting the thread, and the memories.

Rick
Rick,

You are very welcome. It was a very fun build of the one of the early classics.

Mike
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:19 AM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
2,447 Posts
I’ve been converting my fleet from my Futaba 12FG to my new Taranis Plus, so today it was the Skylark 56’s turn for its first Taranis Plus test flight.

Flying in Atlanta in July and August is great as far and clear skies go, but the heat can make it an early morning only event. Even then by the time I got setup for my first flight it was about 80 degrees with 85 percent humidity, very hot and muggy and didn’t take long to hit 90 plus.

All went well and the Skylark 56 is fun to fly. As I’ve installed the new telemetry receivers in my fleet I’ve mostly used the existing positions where the Futaba antennas were located. Now that I have real-time and data logging I’ve found that a number of my Futaba antenna locations were not very well placed. The FrSky radio systems have really great range compared to other systems, but it is always best to have the receiver installation optimized. Not something I could do with my Futaba FASST system.

Using the Taranis Plus data logs and real-time data I’ve been able to move the antennas to optimize the received signal. The data log is good but I’ve found by programming the receiver RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) on one of the transmitter switches to voice announce the RSSI every five seconds is more helpful. With the real-time RSSI by voice I can get a better idea of the attitude of the airframe related to the RSSI level.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Jul 10, 2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by OverKill
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
That's remarkable, Mike. Can you elaborate a bit on what you found that affects range as far as location and position of the rx and antennae?

Thanks!

Dave
OverKill is online now Find More Posts by OverKill
Old Jul 10, 2015, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by doxilia
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
Flying in Atlanta in July and August is great as far and clear skies go, but the heat can make it an early morning only event. Even then by the time I got setup for my first flight it was about 80 degrees with 85 percent humidity, very hot and muggy and didnít take long to hit 90 plus.

Mike
Ahh..., you southerners are light weights!

We do 30C (or -30C 6 months from now) and 100% humidity and we consider it a warm (cool) day. We don't say its hot (cold) until we hit 35C (-35C). Then again, I know the Arizonans deal with 115F and, I'll say, 0% humidity... Sauna's are cooler than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
Iíve been converting my fleet from my Futaba 12FG to my new Taranis Plus, so today it was the Skylark 56ís turn for its first Taranis Plus test flight.

All went well and the Skylark 56 is fun to fly. As Iíve installed the new telemetry receivers in my fleet Iíve mostly used the existing positions where the Futaba antennas were located. Now that I have real-time and data logging Iíve found that a number of my Futaba antenna locations were not very well placed. The FrSky radio systems have really great range compared to other systems, but it is always best to have the receiver installation optimized. Not something I could do with my Futaba FASST system.

Using the Taranis Plus data logs and real-time data Iíve been able to move the antennas to optimize the received signal. The data log is good but Iíve found by programming the receiver RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) on one of the transmitter switches to voice announce the RSSI every five seconds is more helpful. With the real-time RSSI by voice I can get a better idea of the attitude of the airframe related to the RSSI level.

Mike
That's great info Mike! Glad to hear that the Taranis is meeting with your high standards and expectations.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Jul 10, 2015, 01:38 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
2,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
That's remarkable, Mike. Can you elaborate a bit on what you found that affects range as far as location and position of the rx and antennae?

Thanks!

Dave
When I did all of my Futaba 2.4 receiver installations, each installation was unique depending on where there was space for the receiver, the location of the battery pack, location of metal cable push rods for throttle, nose gear steering, air tank, etc. Because of those variables we all know there is no way that all the receiver antennas can be located in the exact same location across all aircraft. I think that we also know compared to 72, 2.4 RF is much more sensitive to being blocked if metallic items are placed between the receiver antenna and the transmitter.

The receiver antennas on 2.4 are pretty small, so from what I’ve seen with my testing process a large metal object like a battery pack can do a great job of blanking part of the 2.4 signal. With telemetry, the antennas are used both for receiving the control information transmitting telemetry information.

Way back when, when I did my Futaba installations I did my best to have the antennas located at a ninety degree angle to each other as Bax recommended and keep them away from metal items. I never had any problems with my Futaba radio links that I knew about, but the only way I would have known of a problem is if the system went into failsafe.

Because I have data logging and real-time RSSI now, was able to reposition the antennas so that during a complete flight the RSSI signal is well above a failsafe situation. My kit built Kaos 40 is a good example. It has the throttle elevator and rudder servo in the fuselage toward the back of wing opening, then moving forward the off/on switch, the receiver (with cables to the switch and servos behind it) and then the battery in front of the receiver. When the wing is installed the aileron servo is below the receiver with metal push rods back to the ailerons.

The original antennas for the Futaba system had one antenna in some open space between the receiver and battery and the other between the off/on switch and servos. They were held in place with thin wall 1/8 plastic tubing glued to the bottom of the fuselage balsa top.

I found with the Kaos if I made a long low landing approach nose high (like way out there) I was getting a low RSSI and I think the battery was blanking parts of both antennas. There was no free space inside the fuselage to get the antenna away from the battery, so using some thin wall 1/8 plastic tubing I extended one of the antennas up into the canopy. That seems to work so well that I’ve done the same on the Sabre 56.

The Taranis Plus logs everything including all the control inputs, switches, voltage, SWR, RSSI and I have my log set to log data every .2 seconds. Graphing the log file in the OpenTX Companion (mostly used for optional PC based programming) I could pretty easily determine a takeoff and landing and see the RSSI, but after that it looked like just a lot of flying around. That’s when I got the idea to have a switch to voice read the RSSI value real-time so I could better relate to the aircraft position and the RSSI value.

On a few of my aircraft I’d ran out of the 1/8 thin wall plastic tubing to hold the antennas and used pieces of Spring Air air line to hold the antennas. As part of my process I decided to test the thin wall 1/8 plastic tubing and the air line for RF attenuation and discovered the air line actually absorbs RF. To test for RF absorption I put them in a microwave oven that is a close spectrum to our 2.4 RF and found the air line got warm after a minute or so indicating it was absorbing RF. The 1/8 thin wall plastic tubing I’m using comes with Sullivan fuel tank kits and tests very well.

This has been really interesting having all this telemetry information for the first time after being in the hobby practically forever, so I've kind of gone nuts with it.

Hope I’ve answered your question.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Jul 10, 2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 02:15 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
2,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Ahh..., you southerners are light weights!

We do 30C (or -30C 6 months from now) and 100% humidity and we consider it a warm (cool) day. We don't say its hot (cold) until we hit 35C (-35C). Then again, I know the Arizonans deal with 115F and, I'll say, 0% humidity... Sauna's are cooler than that...

That's great info Mike! Glad to hear that the Taranis is meeting with your high standards and expectations.

David
Not sure why it felt so hot today. If I could fly from a shaded area I'd be fine, but when you stand in the sun for a ten minute fight it felt brutal today.

I am having a lot of fun with all the telemetry information for sure.

Mike
Old Jul 10, 2015, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by OverKill
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! I never would have thought about plastic tubing absorbing RF. I'm going to be nuking any antenna tubing before gluing it in from now on. The way you had the Kaos set up is pretty much standard, and is how my planes have almost always been set up. Great idea to put one antenna into the canopy.

You're really making a believer out of me concerning the Taranis.

Thanks, Mike. Very informative! And most appreciated.

Dave
OverKill is online now Find More Posts by OverKill