New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2013, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by 1geo1
Joined Aug 2013
1 Posts
SDP,
Thank you for sharing this build with us. ( awesome ! ) I am about to embark upon the Balsa USA
1/4 SE 5A and was wondering if you decided on power/motor setup for your build.
ie...are you still going with the A60-7S ?
1geo1 is offline Find More Posts by 1geo1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2013, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
875 Posts
The motor was just ordered. I went with a Hacker A60-5S V2. The 5S is a higher Kv motor and should fit the 8S configuration a little better.

I will be figuring out the mounting of the motor and the batteries in the near future. My current plan is to have the batteries slide out the bottom of the cowl on their own tray, which will secure into the plane via rails and bolts. I just need to engineer it all.

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Old May 06, 2014, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by roncannell
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Aug 2011
72 Posts
Status

Phil, whats the status on your WW1 Build? Hope you are doing well. Ron
roncannell is offline Find More Posts by roncannell
Old May 11, 2014, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by pjdog350
Joined Apr 2013
1,202 Posts
Very impressive build. The Nieuport looks so nice. I love it.

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
Last edited by pjdog350; May 16, 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by Belgenland
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Blaton
Joined Apr 2007
163 Posts
Hi

I am Philippe from Belgium. I'm working on my BUSA Nieuport 28 1/4 scale and Eddie Rickenbacker 6159 plane.

Can someone help me on the markings, especially on the St Christopher medal under the cockpit on starboard side, the lower light (white?) rectangular making on lower port side and the light (blue?) ribbon on the fuselage just rear the cockpit ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Phil
Belgenland is offline Find More Posts by Belgenland
Old Dec 07, 2014, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by zachanddragon
Joined Oct 2014
37 Posts
subbing
zachanddragon is offline Find More Posts by zachanddragon
Old Jul 17, 2015, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by jetboy11914
Another 3DHS convert...
Newnan GA
Joined Mar 2006
733 Posts
Hi All,

I myself have converted one of these Nieuport 28s to electric power. I would like to discuss my setup and maiden flight.

Setup:

Motor - Tacon Bigfoot 160
ESC - Turnigy Sentilon 100 HV, external BEC
Batteries - (2) 4S 5000s running in Series, total 8S
Prop - 20X8 Xoar PJA

The previous owner marked the CG position on the top wings. I checked CG all up and the CG was perfect.

Maiden:

Took off and immediately the bird was climbing with no stick input. Used power to keep the elevation consistent when flying but level flight required full 'down' elevator to keep her level.

I believe the issue is the thrust angle as I found out it should be 2 degrees down thrust which should remedy my problem because right now the motor is directly parallel to the ground.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forgive my horrible flying skills Landing was in the tall grass....

Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Neiport 28 Electric Power - Maiden Flight (4 min 39 sec)
jetboy11914 is offline Find More Posts by jetboy11914
Old Jul 18, 2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,362 Posts
I'd say you did extremely well to fly thatplane at all!! I'd be checking the top wing to see how much positive incidence it has. It probably should be 0 or 1 degree, no more. Your motor should be 2 degrees down and 2 degrees right. The wrong wing incidence will cause far more problems than the motor angles. Good luck Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jul 23, 2015, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by jetboy11914
Another 3DHS convert...
Newnan GA
Joined Mar 2006
733 Posts
Thanks for all the help Doug.

A few more comments:

1) I used a few washers at the motor mount to firewall connection to add the 2 degrees down and 2 degrees right for the thrust angle.

2) I believe the issue was wing incidence as you mentioned and I believe this comes from the point where the 4 studs of the top wing land on the fuselage supports. I noticed that the back two supports were lower thus causing the wing to pitch up in the front when the nuts were applied to tighten the wing.

3) I am now working on re-attaching the landing which was soldered together before. However, I do not know the exact angle that the landing main assembly should be at as I don't have the plans from the kit. Do you have the position or some type of reference for me to judge? See below image.

Also, should the main landing gear piece '1' be at the front or back mounting position?

Thanks again,
jetboy11914 is offline Find More Posts by jetboy11914