Futaba WTR-7 FASST Wireless Trainer System Review

Introduction

Operation Range:30 feet
Size:.89 x 1.59 x .52"
Weight:.29 oz.
Manufacturer:Futaba
Available From:Tower Hobbies
Price:$99.98

We have all been to the flying field and experienced a student taking his first flights with the assistance of the instructor. We may have even seen the way their radios are tethered via the training cord and the problems that can happen if an instructor and student stray too far apart. Futaba has provided more freedom in that connection with their new Wireless Trainer System.

What's Included

Futaba WTR-7 FASST Wireless Trainer System includes:

• Wireless Trainer System
  • Connection Cord
  • Mini Screwdriver
  • Hook and Loop Material and Instruction Sheet

So how does it work?

Flying using the Wireless Trainer System

The Futaba Wireless Training System was easy to setup using the included instructions. Being able to maintain the instructor/student connection without the cord was a huge advantage. This way the instructor can stand anywhere he wants within a 33 foot range of the student. Early in the training, the instructor can be right next to the student to provide direction and support. As the student progresses, the instructor can stand a distance behind the student to give him the confidence to fly solo while still being able to take control.

Photo Gallery/Video

Downloads

Conclusion

The Futaba WTR-7 FASST Wireless Trainer System worked flawlessly through our testing. If you have ever had your transmitter nearly pulled from your hands via the trainer cord, it will only take one flight for you to appreciate wireless freedom. Also as mentioned in the review, the ability to stand anywhere within a 33 foot radius is a benefit to both the instructor and the student. The system plugs into square trainer port on the instructor's TX and supports 72MHz, 50MHz or 2.4GHz transmitters for added flexibility.

Plusses:

• Wireless freedom
  • Easy to setup
  • Allows 72MHz transmitters to be used as instructor TX
  • Lightweight

Minuses:

• Wireless freedom costs more than a trainer cord, but it's worth it!
Last edited by Doctor Who; Sep 29, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2010, 07:22 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
so basically putting the unit into the trainer Tx first teaches the tx the signal for the module? then when its plugged into the instructor tx, it links the student to the instructor, and the instructor can still use his 2.4 to control the plane? i just want to know if im getting this right.
Sep 30, 2010, 08:14 PM
RC Fanatic
It sure is wierd to see somebody flying Nitro...
Sep 30, 2010, 09:14 PM
Timelord
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE
so basically putting the unit into the trainer Tx first teaches the tx the signal for the module? then when its plugged into the instructor tx, it links the student to the instructor, and the instructor can still use his 2.4 to control the plane? i just want to know if im getting this right.
Yes, you are linking the student TX to the Wireless Trainer System that is connected to the instructor TX.
Sep 30, 2010, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Yes, you are linking the student TX to the Wireless Trainer System that is connected to the instructor TX.
okay cool thanx that is certainly something interesting sounds like it could come in very handy! to bad im on spektrum 2.4 i hope they come out with somethin like that soon
Oct 01, 2010, 02:56 AM

Use with non futaba instructor TX module?

It sounds as if this would work with a Spektrum module in the instructors transmitter, provided that transmitter had a new style futaba buddy socket. This would let you use a trainer aircraft with a Spektrum RX.
N.B. Thinking further, it should be possible to use any brand RX in the Aircraft, provided you use a TX module to fit an instructor's TX, and the buddy/trainer socket is (or has an adaptor to match) futaba new square style.

Is any-one able to check this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE
to bad im on spektrum 2.4 i hope they come out with somethin like that soon
Oct 01, 2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellj
It sounds as if this would work with a Spektrum module in the instructors transmitter, provided that transmitter had a new style futaba buddy socket. This would let you use a trainer aircraft with a Spektrum RX.
N.B. Thinking further, it should be possible to use any brand RX in the Aircraft, provided you use a TX module to fit an instructor's TX, and the buddy/trainer socket is (or has an adaptor to match) futaba new square style.

Is any-one able to check this ?

i actually am flying with a futaba 10c with a spektrum module. think it could work out?
Oct 07, 2010, 07:54 AM
What a blast!
I have been using the WTR-7 since last winter and it works extremely well for training. I have probably used it for about 10 students. I would never go back to using a trainer cord!

I have used it on both a 6EX-2.4 and 10c. When connected to the 10c any transmitter module can be used. I have Spektrum and ASSAN modules as well as FASST. I don't think I have actually tried the combination of WTR-7 on the 10c with the Spektrum module yet.

By the way the WTR-7 is great for having someone back you up for learning FPV. In that situation the last thing you want is another cable to trip over.

Rick
Nov 02, 2010, 03:46 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Too bad this system is kind of backward. Wish it can use the student tx as master and instructor tx can over ride the student tx. The logic is the student can have his own tx/ plane. So the instructor can help the student flies his/her own set up.

When someone shows up with plane, just add the module to the student's tx and the instructor can over ride the student without setting the student's plane with the instructor's tx.

Brian, an EAJ
Nov 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
So I have a plane on one with all the settings with this do I have to make all the settings the same on the buddy box as well? OR does it see the info from the master ?
Thanks.
Jan 18, 2013, 09:24 AM
no response
Jun 24, 2019, 08:55 PM
Can you use the same TX? I have only the Futaba 7c.
Jun 25, 2019, 07:10 AM

Futaba WTR-7 Fast Wireless Trainer

Can you use the same TX? I only have two Futaba 7C TX radios. I tryed it and nothing works.
Jun 28, 2019, 03:16 AM
They are what I see out on tour and in most clubs. They have been in the bussiness since the infancy of wireless,
May 20, 2020, 06:05 PM
What the instructions, and many of these forums, do not say or make clear is that prior to setting up the WTR-7 as per instructions on the enclosed sheet, the plane's receiver has to be bound to the Instructor's transmitter.
So, the steps are
1. Bind plane receiver to Instructor Tx.
2. Switch off Instructor Tx.
3. Switch on student Tx. (must be in FASST mode)
4. Bind WTR-7 to student Tx.
5. Switch off student Tx.
6. Plug WTR-7 into instructor Tx.
7. Switch on Instructor Tx.
8. Switch on student Tx.
9. Use trainer functions as normal after thorough testing

Quick Reply