New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by Bnh105
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
682 Posts
Discussion
Help with first boat purchase

Like the title says I'm looking at getting my first electric boat. I've ruled out the Spartan and have been looking at the proboat models. I narrowed in down to the shockwave and the 29 blackjack. If anyone has any other boats they recommend I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks!
Bnh105 is offline Find More Posts by Bnh105
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2014
1,145 Posts
The spartan would run circles around the shockwave all day and edges out the bj29. A lot of variables have to be answered before you can be given more advice, whats your budget? Running style? How choppy or smooth is the water where you will run?
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:03 AM
Joined Jan 2013
682 Posts
I'd like to keep things under $500 or right at that. Not really to sure about the water , it's a pond so it's not gonna be in the ocean or anything like that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:01 AM
Joined Nov 2014
1,145 Posts
500$ including the batteries?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
682 Posts
I already have many batteries and a good charger, I've flown helis, planes, quads, cars, done it all just want to see what all this boat stuff is about lol. I also want something that has decent runtime, I was looking at the aqua raft motley crew but I believe it said the run time was only 2-3 minutes?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by boater_dave
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,177 Posts
The faster the speed, the shorter the run time. You are close to the boys in Fleet 4 in Schaumburg, IL. I don't know that group well enough to say if they have guys who are into FE, but it's worth a few minutes to contact them. John (johnnyoverkill) posts here on RCG often enough. And their annual regatta is coming up at the end of June.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=fleet+4

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:51 AM
Joined Jan 2013
682 Posts
Thanks dave appreciate that
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
682 Posts
So my list right now would be the Spartan (maybe) blackjack 29, motley crew. And the 26 shockwave just because the price point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2015, 04:30 PM
Joined Nov 2014
1,145 Posts
I had the version prior of the shockwave 26, i believe it has the same motor/esc combo and for that price i would go with the joysway infinity. I just got one and its quite fast for the price, way faster than the shockwave. It has a fiberglass self righting hull, and quality running gear. I have been highly impressed with it. I just posted up some videos and pictures of it in the electric racing boat section.

Between the other boats im going to lean towards the spartan. I have one that sees near daily use and lately twice a day on 6s and 4s and the boat has given me zero issues. Out of all my boats, cars, trucks, planes, helis, quads, it is by far the easiest to own. Ive replaced a few props here and there and i replaced a flex shaft which I honestly got lazy with the greasing. All the stories you hear about it over heating are completely untrue with the current versions and Traxxas made it right. I honestly cannot say enough good things about the Spartan, every time I take it out I come back with a smile on my face. People gripe about it being abs, but the hull is so well made and offers great structural integrity mine doesnt have a crack on it and it has seen its fair share of violent wipe outs. Run time is decent as well, when i run it absolutely hard full throttle i get about 5 and half minutes and on 4s i get about 8 minutes of full throttle. If you have any questions about the infinity or the spartan feel free to ask as I tend to go to the park a lot and take my toys out for a spin pretty often
Old Apr 29, 2015, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
682 Posts
Thank you very much for that thorough review, now you have me leaning back towards the Spartan !! A few guys at my hobby shop told me to stay away from it bc it's not any good but all the videos I've seen look great, plus I am partial to traxxas bc their customer service and reliability I've seen with their products. Forgive me but what is abs? What kind of realistic speeds do you see on 4s? How does it handle in the rough waters? And I'm curious if your boat flips to get it you"re going to be going for a swim lol?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:58 PM
Joined Nov 2014
1,145 Posts
The proboats had just as many issues over heating.

I have had great luck with traxxas over the years. Your hobby shop probably has all the essential parts in stock to keep the spartan running when you need it (props, shafts, etc) so to me its always a good choice to gonwith traxxas simply due to the very low downtime youll experience.

On 4s I would say around 35-40 but its a very stable boat you can hold down the throttle the entire run and not worry about flipping. On 6s its pretty fast so you will have to manage the throttle or it could potentually flip. Mine has flipped probably 3 or 4 times the last year and i probably have around 330-340 runs in the boat by now. It handles VERY well in rough water, i jump real boat wake sometimes and I have always been surprised by how stable it remains even when its completely out of the water. ABS is the type of plastic used to construct the Spartans hull, many people gripe about it because it isnt "realistic" but to me if youre not riding on the boat with babes than its not really realistic lol.

I have a few videos of the spartan running but it reallly doesnt show its full potential since i am holding my camera with one hand and operating the tx with the other. I was pretty gentle with it on 6s especially since i was awkwardly using my thumb to steer

Traxxas spartan 6s run:
Traxxas spartan 6s run (2 min 43 sec)

Traxxas spartan on 4s clip:
Traxxas spartan on 4s clip (1 min 18 sec)

Here is a pov

Traxxas Spartan "Gunfighter/SeaCup POV run:
Traxxas Spartan "Gunfighter/SeaCup POV run (5 min 30 sec)

And a rear view

Traxxas Spartan rear view POV:
Traxxas Spartan rear view POV (5 min 13 sec)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
682 Posts
Those are great videos. I think you might've sold me on the Spartan LOL. You're right all the parts are usually in stock and from what you said it sounds like it's very easy to maintain your reliable. Would you recommend any C rating for the batteries?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
1,503 Posts
Apex just get a 808 # 16 keychain cam and velcro it to a hat bill. Thats what I do
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:06 PM
Joined Nov 2014
1,145 Posts
.... how the hell have i not thought about that???

Bnh the spartan has been lots of fun owning. As far as C ratings go i think 30-35 is a safe bet. I still use the 25c traxxas batteries since i got the boat but they do get a little too warm. My 4s set up are two 2s zippy 5000 mah 35c batts and they are just a little warm after a continuous full throttle run.

If you have a 1/10 scale truck you should consider buying or making a trailer for the spartan. It never gets old seeing my slash lug my spartan around

Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
682 Posts
Apex, of course I have a slash , I may have to do that LOL. Have you had any issues with overheating? Did you do any mods if you have any overheating issues?
RCG Plus Member