Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by Suko
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
1,836 Posts
Discussion
Best foamie F-16 in 2016?

I have a large collection of aircraft, but one plane I have yet to own is my favorite fighter jet, the F-16. I missed a great deal on a used freewing f-16 and regret it terribly.

I'm looking for some feedback on what some consider a good f-16 for me. Here's the things influencing my decision.

1) ~70mm EDF preferred
2) Able to run on 4s setup (or a 6S setup running 2200 or 3200 3S batteries in series)
3) Retracts would be greatly preferred, but I understand that at this size, it's not exactly common.
3a) If it doesn't have retracts, then it must be a decent belly lander if the fixed gear is removed. Nothing looks worse to me then fixed gear on a sleek modern jet.
4) Price. I don't have a specific limit, but I would really like to keep it at or under $300 for the full setup (sans battery and receiver).

I saw this thread and it makes it sound like the RC Lander F-16 is a good candidate, but it's just a bit pricier than I'd like and it seems to only come in the 2 seat D model. Also, that thread is 4 years old, so I wasn't sure if any recent contenders are a better choice.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1665703

P. S. I am not a speed demon. Basic aerobatics and scale like flight are all I want. I don't need a 100 mph foam rocket.
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2016, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
5,952 Posts
Pretty hard to beat the proven Phase 3 F16. Lots of threads out there. It was built to be simple and light making it a great flier even bone stock.

PS I flew mine on typical a 3S 2200mah pack. Cheap thrills!
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Last edited by 4stripes; Mar 26, 2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
9,268 Posts
+1 for the Phase 3
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
3,339 Posts
Agree, in principle, with 4Stripe's and Turbo's recommendation. Since you require either retracts or a smooth belly, it will be hard to find a better-flying Falcon.

However. The (older) FreeWing 70mm F-16, the one with thrust vectoring, is simply a wonderful airframe. I am not a TV guy, so mine was set up disabled - just locked in place with a servo. The plane is excellently scaled, with contours and dimensions that truly capture the graceful lines of the 1:1 version. And it flies magnificently well; both slow speed and high speed. Mine had a Lander fan in it, on 4s, and I would say it was well into the 90's for top end but would flair for landings in a way that made me do most of my flights as touch-and-goes. Just beautiful. The only downside, for you, is the fixed gear (which is wire, and all but invisible in flight) and the need to address the stabilizer fins on the belly; either remove them or strengthen them.

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-f-1...oring-jet-arf/
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Last edited by PikeStaff; Mar 26, 2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Joined Apr 2004
839 Posts
If you want a NIB phase 3 F-16, I have two, with the esc/fan/motor version. Batts, radio, servos needed. It was/is sold as a hand launch.
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Mar 26, 2016, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by Suko
Joined Apr 2013
1,836 Posts
From what I can tell, the phase 3 f-16 looks very toy-like. I'm sure it flies great, but it definitely doesn't look like it's trying to be scale. I'm not a scale nazi, but I do want something that looks like the real thing at a glance.

That said, maybe the photos I see aren't doing it justice. Does it have panel lines or any details like that? What I see looks like a very smooth airframe with some stickers and that is about it.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 09:21 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
5,952 Posts
The stock decals do not do it justice. The shape of the plane looks decent but it is up to the builder how good it can look.
I'm sure the Phase 3 F16 threads can provide some great examples.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
13,471 Posts
The EF-16 does have an ugly intake. Not scale at all. But I changed that on last winters mods. More details in my blog on page 2 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252499 I guess you get what you pay or work for.

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by Suko
Joined Apr 2013
1,836 Posts
Wow, you made that plane look good. It's definitely got my attention now that I see it with a more realistic paint scheme.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 04:29 AM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
13,471 Posts
Check my blog. I did a lot of changes. The best change was to get rid of the Guppy mouth intake. Not hard to do. Many pics in the blog. Flew great with the EVO 69mm rotor and PH-3 shroud. Sounds nice too. The old grey one now belongs to a friend. He uses the EVO 65mm in a homemade shroud(again easy to do) and it sounds even better than the 69mm. Both use a 4s-2200 pack and 450W. HET motors. The stock tail cone of 53mm works as-is with the 65EVO. The 69mm requires slitting of the cone to make it 56mm.

Avoid the high blade CS types in 70mm. As they require 100% FSA outlet of 61mm. And heavy packs from their high load. JMHO AUW under 30 oz with 400+ watts and they handlaunch and fly great. The most bang for buck out there.

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Mar 29, 2016, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by jcdfrd
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,910 Posts
HSD F16 would be my choice, super nice for a foamy

my buddy flies this one and it seems to be reliable and very nice

HSD DF16 12S Flight Test Video (2 min 30 sec)
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Mar 29, 2016, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by Suko
Joined Apr 2013
1,836 Posts
Looks nice, but that isn't even remotely close to within my budget. I'd love to get the Freewing 90mm F-16, but it is also way outside my affordability.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by jcdfrd
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko View Post
Looks nice, but that isn't even remotely close to within my budget. I'd love to get the Freewing 90mm F-16, but it is also way outside my affordability.
Lol!!!! my bad didnt see the 300 limit
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Mar 29, 2016, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
8,058 Posts
Suko, may have to at least double his budget- I paid more than that for a NEU motor!

Even cheap stuff , ain't cheap!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Mar 29, 2016, 04:05 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
5,952 Posts
My first EDF jet was the Phase 3 F16. Cost $75 used. Started the whole foam jet addiction for me.