USA Grand Opening Sale! USA Grand Opening Sale!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by Waikiwi
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2007
233 Posts
Discussion
Seawind question

Hi

Can someone please help me with the following about te kyosho seawind. What are the differences between the old abs kit and the new readyset version? Is one better than the other? Also, what sea and wind conditions are they ok for? Thanks
Waikiwi is offline Find More Posts by Waikiwi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
Here are the basic differences....
1. The hulls are the same BUT the Readyset is pre-painted blue and white, and the old kit is unpainted.
2. The keel bulb on the Readyset is alloy rather than lead like the old version. It's also a bit bigger since alloy isn't as heavy/dense as lead. It's a lot safer to handle though, and there is no noticeable performance difference.
3. The Readyset comes with electronics, the old kits did not.
4. The Readyset is made in China. The old kits were made in Japan.
5. The Readyset comes mostly pre-assembled. The old kits were completely unassembled.

Those are the main differences. The ready sets seem to perform great (we have a couple sailing in our local club) although they are hard to distinguish between one another due to the identical paint schemes. Our guys have taken to painting their sails with some markings in order to be able to pick them out in a crowd of other ready sets.

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Waikiwi
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2007
233 Posts
Thanks andy. WHat conditions can they be sailed in? Thanks
Waikiwi is offline Find More Posts by Waikiwi
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Canada, BC, Qualicum Beach
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
You might want to look at this recent thread here.
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by boater_dave
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,528 Posts
Seawind or Fairwind?

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:56 PM
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
The Seawind can be sailed in next to nothing up to close to 20mph if tuned right. As with any mass produced boat it has limitations, but I've found in the 12 years I've sailed one (it's been the main fleet boat for our club since it's beginning about 11 years ago) that it is remarkably responsive to tuning and is a very enjoyable boat to sail.

Andy
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
4,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
Seawind or Fairwind?

Dave
Dave - apples and oranges. As you know both are time tested boats. Kyosho has played with us by taking them in and out of the market over the years. To the frustration of many would be buyers and owners needing parts

As you know the Seawind is back now as "ready set" in stead of kit. They did that to the Fairwind - for years it was sold as a kit, then they introduced the Fairwind lll as a "ready set". I think they have decided folks are not buying kits much any more and more people are likely to buy if they don't have to build it.

Sadly, they discontinued the FW lll again. Too bad, as it was/is a really nice boat. I have them both, and consider myself fortunate to scored them when I did.

Two very nice boats but very different. Seawind is quite a bit faster should that matter,
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 28, 2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,602 Posts
Our two local clubs race SeaWinds and they can be a handful in more than 15 mph of wind. You can sail in more, but it takes careful tuning and knowing what you are doing (like sheltering the jib behind the main rather than running wing-on-wing), shutting down the slot and really opening the main leech.

Speaking of tuning....get rid of the cleats and put bowsies on all adjustments. It makes tuning much easier as the difference between OK and fast is often just a one or two millimeters of adjustment which is difficult to do with cleats.

There is lots of good information (tech tips) on the SeaWind from the class association newsletter, the SeaWind Express. Current and back issues can be found here: http://www.theamya.org/boats/seawind/seawindexpress.php

I would add an extension to the jib boom for a jib topping lift to adjust the jib leech curve. Allowing that has been voted down several times by the COA (sadly in IMHO as it would make a good boat much better), but it won't matter if you are not going to race it.

[Shamless Plug] Our two local clubs are sponsoring the 2015 SeaWind National Championship Regatta at the end of September, here in Sacramento, California. For more information see: http://egmyc.net/#/event-2015SWNCR [/Shamless Plug]
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by boater_dave
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,528 Posts
Thanks Boomer, when I heard the term Ready Set, I was thinking about the Fairwind glass version. I did not realize that Kyosho has released a glass Seawind. Perhaps this will keep the deck fittings I like in stock!
I have enough experience in building the plastic Fairwind (20 kits) but have only briefly inspected the glass version. I do know that the glass Fairwind is slightly different in size compared to the plastic one. I have built a plastic Seawind for a friend, but since my local hobby shop closed I don't have much chance of 'browsing' inside the new kit boxes any more.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:54 PM
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
The Seawind Readyset isn't glass, it's abs--just FYI.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
4,475 Posts
Dave
I don't think I suggested the Seawind ready set was fiberglass, not sure where that came from.Flatland Sailor is of course correct.
However, Kyosho does currently offer the Carbon Fiber ready set which is in affect a form of FRP = fiber reinforced plastic. The resin used to bond it is a plastic. So, I guess it is a cousin of sorts to fiberglass.
I posted a picture of an actual fiberglass Seawind produced for a short time years ago by kyosho. For fun I included a picture two other fiberglass boats - Proboat's Serenity and of course the Fairwind lll. Almost forgot the Ragazza another Proboat model.

I had a Serenity when the Fairwinds lll couldn't found, then when they came back I scored one and sold the Serenity which was as nicely made but didn't sail as well as the FW lll.

Dave you are the master builder of FW's for sure! Nice looking Seawind! An abundance of talent!
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2015, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by Keith Hong Kong
Joined Aug 2015
9 Posts
I'm almost completely new to RC sailboats except for a plywood chined pond self steerer that I converted 25 years ago to RC, put a bulb keel on it, but it succumbed to ply rot after a few years (great boat - still trying to find the model / class - it was a kit my dad built probably in the 60's).

I've sailed big boats all my life, and own a small yacht that's stuck in Singapore (no moorings in Hong Kong) so I've attempted to replace real sailing with ... Real sailing ... And bought a Seawind readyset from GoNitro in NY & had it shipped HK - well packed and no issues.

Very impressed and great fun. Got it 2 weeks ago and apart from some filing of the keel root to get it to fit in the slot (overspray paint made the slot a weird shape & much smaller), and the halyards being tied on the wrong way at the head of both sails, it went together fine.

I bought the hatch conversion kit from Rob Fresh in advance, and fitted that, and have had no issues at all with it. Doesn't leak, and with 6v Ni-MH receiver power pack I'm getting up four hours of use on one battery charge.

I'm not racing in class (not racing at all until I can get some mates to buy one) so I've put non-class draft stripes on the sails, and inhauls for jib and main, and it's made a huge change to the moderate wind power.

I did a nominal amount of research before picking a boat, and the Seawind is impressing me ....

What I do need though are a set of storm sails (yeah I know ... Out of class..) and I'm thinking of getting a fat top main & big roach jib & mast crane from stockmaritime to give more flexibility around wind strengths, which vary hugely here - may make my own.

Issue I've found with sails - the corner reinforcement is coming unstuck, and though they are flat and I leave them slack when not in use, the main does seem to have stretched in the luff, which means lots of backstay, and that shows up the relatively poor fit of the mast joining spigot - nasty creases from mast joint to clew - but on big boats that's a 'speed crease' that's moving draft aft, so I'm ignoring it for now.

So ... ABS Readyset .... Yep great. I did look at the CF version, but it comes across to me as a marketing excercise ... Carbon is cool right ... But it seems to add nothing to performance, so I ditched that idea ... I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion ....

Still a few mods to go to get rid of the cleats when I can get some bowsies and more line, and the new sails as mentioned ... Plus a carry case so I can take it to Singapore and sail it off the back of the big boat.

An odd turn of events ;-)
Keith Hong Kong is offline Find More Posts by Keith Hong Kong
Last edited by Keith Hong Kong; Aug 09, 2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2015, 11:24 AM
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
I have seen the problem with corner reinforcements too. We CA glued it back on a club member's boat.
Old Aug 09, 2015, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Hong Kong
Joined Aug 2015
9 Posts
Yep that's the logical answer - the thing with CA glue when I've used it in fabrics before is it causes the fibres to crack because it's so hard / unforgiving and creates an edge - but I bet it works ok for the life of a sail - I may try some contact cement and g-cramps - masking the sail off to avoid gooey mess everywhere ....

Have trawled for off the shelf Seawind 'off the shelf' smaller sails but can't find anything that sounds tried and tested - anybody got a good contact, or indeed got some dimensions that have worked well for balance in say 15mph plus windstrength - or I may have to experiment ....
Keith Hong Kong is offline Find More Posts by Keith Hong Kong
Old Aug 09, 2015, 09:31 PM
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
We just used a very small (few drops) of extra thin CA. It was kind of an emergency pond side repair. The patch wasn't completely off, rather just about half. It reminded me of how the kit (when the boats came as a kit) battens would peel off. We started using alternate batten material (class legal) with better adhesive. That would be very hard on the corners due to the grommet built in.

Andy