SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by gva1956
United States, WA, Goldendale
Joined Apr 2012
294 Posts
Question
CG for Sterling PT-17, 64" Wing Span, BARN FIND

Just got this old Sterling PT-17 from one of our local flyers who has had it hanging in his barn for the past 30 years. He is hoping we can get it to fly again,
The engine is already running great, I have replaced the old butterscotch 4 wire kraft servos. The tail feathers were warped but the covering shrunk tight and is so far keeping them straight.
What I am looking for now is if someone has the plans and can give me the correct CG location.
If she survives the test hop we will strip her down and recover her in the yellow and blue color scheme.
gva1956 is online now Find More Posts by gva1956
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by scale_only
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
3,289 Posts
Nice find,,,

on the plans
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3704

good luck
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Apr 30, 2015, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by LesUyeda
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
4,037 Posts
If you get really turned on, Robart made functional oleos for that model. You would have to tear open the belly, and modify a bit, but it does work. I did mine.
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
294 Posts
Again, Scale comes through, Thanks !
Great looking Stearman Les
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,988 Posts
Somebody will have the plan CG location, but actual location varies. A little nose heavy with tank empty is good advice for the maiden flight. Good tail-dragger technique is needed, be ready for pitch-up after lift off. A little right aileron up-trim and a little right rudder trim may help takeoff. Some up-elevator helps keep tail on ground for steering during start of takeoff, then let tail rise and steer with rudder during takeoff. Keep climb gradual at around 3/4 throttle. Forgive me if you already know all this.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
294 Posts
Any advice it welcomed.
All the flyers here want the re-maiden to go well.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 03:21 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
4,037 Posts
Gva: Thanks. Still got it hanging in my garage.

Got me to thinking, a lot. The reason I went to Robart for wheels, was that the stock Sterling were soooooo springy, I never knew which way the plane was going to go when I began to taxi for take off, and once it landed, the same was true. Hated it. Robart solved that problem.

Les
Old Apr 30, 2015, 05:40 PM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
3,289 Posts
My Royal Stearman was the same way,, had to land it like an at-6,, a little power on wheel landing,, if you tried a flair landing it was 1 in 10 that stuck,, the other 9 were bouncy

happy to help,,
Old May 06, 2015, 05:56 AM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
11,065 Posts
Man oh Man ! That is nice ! It just has that 'look' of an Antique...I can't imagine recovering it, unless it's absolutely necessary......
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Airshows, and Tradition.
Old May 07, 2015, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by 308jockey
Joined May 2011
242 Posts
I have this same question EXACTLY. I bought a 65" PT-17 at Perry this year. I'm unsure which kit it is but I'm ready to fly it. Got a radio in it, put an OS 91 4 stroke on it and now I need a CG for it. It balances right now 4.5" aft of the top wing leading edge. I'm thinking I need to move it forward to about 2.5", about 25% of the top wing chord. Is that at least a safe starting point? This plane appears to be several years old but was quite well built and has never been flown. I'm going to test run the motor today and fly it tomorrow if all goes well. Looking forward to flying it at our warbird event in a few weeks. Any help on this CG location will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey
Old May 07, 2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by 308jockey
Joined May 2011
242 Posts
Les if you don't mind, which radial is that you have around that OS? It's one of the last things I need to finish this and that installation is very nice. I'm going to wait until I know it flies before getting one but will need to make a decision soon on it. Thanks.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey
Old May 07, 2015, 09:06 AM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
3,289 Posts
Again, the plan shows it,, it's more like 55% at the top wing,, 25% will be very nose heavy

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/download_...an.asp?ID=3704

good luck
Last edited by scale_only; May 07, 2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old May 07, 2015, 09:33 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
4,037 Posts
I took a bunch of Williams Brothers parts, and fabricated to fit. Cost more that it would have to put a two stroke engine in the plane:-)))))) But this looked a lot better.

Les
Old May 07, 2015, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
11,065 Posts
Guys- for most straight wing bipes-measure from the LEADING edge of the top wing, to the TRAILING of the bottom one.- Fuselage level, vertical lines drawn to the surface of the work bench... Treat that total length as your wing "Chord" and then 25% will be a nose heavy 'safe' starting point.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Airshows, and Tradition.
Old May 07, 2015, 03:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
294 Posts
I also like that antique look on this plane but the covering is so brittle, I have already poked a hole in it. Plans are to test fly it this weekend.
This plane did come with a large piece of lead on the firewall but I still wanted to confirm it was enough.
What I have done was look at the Great Planes PT-17 with a 71" wing span and found their CG to be 5 1/2" back from the leading edge of the top wing.
I decided to look at 5 1/4" for this one and she was spot on with an empty tank.
I did add 4 oz to the firewall for good measure.