New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2015, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by TomC
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I was thinking about converting an old original ES to a water plane. Seems like I remember someone putting one on floats. I was thinking more like adding some sponsons and maybe some more foam to the belly.

Any thoughts on this other than "get a float plane?" I did a search and came up with nothing.
Maybe use the float kit off the new multiplex shark;

RR version;

http://www.worldhobbies.com/product/MPX264286_item.html

Optional Floats;

http://www.worldhobbies.com/product/MPX224328_item.html
TomC is online now Find More Posts by TomC
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2015, 02:52 AM
Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,177 Posts
What's the span of this shark? I could not see it mentioned on that link.
Found it. 1070mm. Not very big.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2015, 03:19 AM
Find More Posts by TomC
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
What's the span of this shark? I could not see it mentioned on that link.
Found it. 1070mm. Not very big.
~ the same weight with recommended 3s1300 so should work ok. No big deal since you are probably not going to do this anyway, lol!
TomC is online now Find More Posts by TomC
Old Aug 12, 2015, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by KristofferR
Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Gothenburg
Joined May 2015
28 Posts
Flaperons?

I got myself a used DX6i which is an upgrade from the Smart SX in the RTF kit. Already have the ailerons on my EZ*2.

Contribution:
Naturally, I tried to use flaperons for fun. It did not work very well. I started big, about 8 mm deflection. Then added a LOT of down elevator mix, 2-3 mm.

Switching the toggle the plane would halt/pop in the air and then start diving. I landed and changed the elevator setting and after a while realized it seemed not to need that much. The aileron response was of course non existent so all turns had to be done with rudder.

The plane would not fly "nice" - hard to explain - it was kind of sinking flat which sounds good in theory but the feeling was more "broken" than "flying".

Eventually the end result was that I decreased and decreased the flap throws until what remained was a smidge of "Flap" more akin to the "thermal" setting on DLG/Thermal/etc planes that uses many flight modes and that was pretty nice.

Toggling the switch there is a visible "brake" and "acceleration" effect but thats it and it flies more or less like normal (did not try any advanced stuff).

Has anyone else experimented or been more successful? (I searched a bit but did not find much)

If I go the Flap route again I would probably try something like FunCub hinges and cut separate flaps but then again I probably would not be bothered. It would help perhaps when landing in really tight places though and I like to fly slow.
KristofferR is offline Find More Posts by KristofferR
Old Aug 12, 2015, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Maybe use the float kit off the new multiplex shark;

RR version;

http://www.worldhobbies.com/product/MPX264286_item.html

Optional Floats;

http://www.worldhobbies.com/product/MPX224328_item.html
Great idea. That actually might work along with some sponsons under the wings. I have seen the Shark parts on Amazon as well.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet