New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2015, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Joined Mar 2007
1,425 Posts
Pretty sure that you can buy castor-based pre-mix oils for 2-stroke engines. I don't know whether they have special additives, though.

Anyway, if your existing system works OK, why bother to change it.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by Brutus1967
I convince things to work
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,269 Posts
Dunno... I thought I read something about that.... I know there is castor based lube oil for mixing with petrol, AFAIK Klotz Benol is one of those.

But the 2-stoke oil I use (Castrol RS racing) is more viscous than castor, so I doubt if Castor will be better at thickening up the fuel. Now I am not saying it does not work, not saying it is bad, just saying that I doubt if it makes much difference, if any.

But since gasoline causes engines to run at higher temps, and for those that trust on the varnish protecting the engine: the Castor will be having a ball varnishing....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old May 23, 2015, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by Arceenut
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2007
1,377 Posts
Not only the viscosity difference between glow fuel and gasoline but the air/fuel ratio of gasoline is much higher, thus making the needle setting much "leaner" and more critical.
Arceenut is offline Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old May 23, 2015, 12:16 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,269 Posts
That is the thing: on that GO GH56, the needles are more or less in the same ballpark where one would expect them to be when running glowfuel (which can open another can of worms for the linguistic fascists, since technically, since the introduction of the G5 glowplug, gasoline is also "a glow fuel" ), and they are also just about as sensitive as one would expect from a glow engine....

The thing is, Methanol has a much wider combustible range as well, and Nitro even widens that range. So my natural suspicion was, that even with a comparable viscosity, I expected the engine to be picky about its mixture: a bit too lean and no show, a bit to rich and nothing either.... but that turns out not to be the case. I can open the LSN a fair bit without fear of not being able to start it due flooding or stalling.

I was also told so by other users, that especially the first start (after unwrapping and taking it out of the box, I mean) could be difficult until the correct setting is found. But to my surprise, it actually fired right up....

I am actually very pleasantly surprised about that....

The downside is, that that engine takes a really long time to break in and to stabilize its behavior....

Brgds, Bert
Old May 23, 2015, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
Not only the viscosity difference between glow fuel and gasoline but the air/fuel ratio of gasoline is much higher, thus making the needle setting much "leaner" and more critical.
Of course. Forgot about that.

When I was experimenting with the conversion of a glow engine to petrol, I used a 10% oil mix ... but the carb settings were still impossible.

About 2.5 times as much methanol is consumed per unit of air, as I understand things.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:51 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
Of course. Forgot about that.

When I was experimenting with the conversion of a glow engine to petrol, I used a 10% oil mix ... but the carb settings were still impossible.
Did you try setting the ignition a bit later? Usually makes the engine a lot less sensitive to the mixture, and not only that, changing the timing in itself makes the engine behave a bit like a glow engine that is set leaner or richer....

Brgds, Bert
Old May 23, 2015, 01:32 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
Did you try setting the ignition a bit later? Usually makes the engine a lot less sensitive to the mixture, and not only that, changing the timing in itself makes the engine behave a bit like a glow engine that is set leaner or richer....

Brgds, Bert

It's about ten years ago ... but, I recall chasing the various settings about for many, many hours.

Could get a good idle ... or a good top end, but never a satisfactory range of operation.

Of course, that might be a function of my duffness, rather than any shortcomings in the technology. I have "form", you know.
Old May 23, 2015, 01:51 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,269 Posts
Might also be simply due to maybe something as dull as a very crude carb.... I think 10:1 is part of the answer to the carburation question, but I highly doubt it will be a good enough solution for, for example, one of those crude airbleed carbs.... On the other hand: If you take the pump and regulator for a given, then a Walbro is actually a very unsophisticated piece of equipment, not much more "intelligent" than an airbleed, and a lot less "high tech" than a glow style twin needle carb....

Brgds, Bert
Old May 23, 2015, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,425 Posts
The carb on my Enya .60 four-stroke ... air-bleed.

I never thought of that.
Old May 23, 2015, 02:04 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,269 Posts
Well..... there you go then....

Brgds, Bert