New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by rlebaron
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2010
182 Posts
Build Log
787-8 Build

So my motto on this project is why build one when you can build another for twice the price. I am in the planning phase for the next bird as I wait for my shipment of electronics to finish off the 747-8i. As that project ended up better than I had hoped, I figured it's a good time to embark on the next adventure.

Specs:
787-8- 3 view schematics used as main plans.
Length: 88"
Width: 93"
Power: 2 x 90mm edf
Estimated weight 10-12 lbs
Airfoil: Clark Y or similar near flat bottom foil
Goodies: fowler flaps, spoilers and yes, even slats and thrust reversers. Depending on what I can sale the wife on, I might splurge on some HK double bogies with drum brakes-ironically the perfect size for this project. Also plan for gear doors and lights.
A bit more in depth than the 747, but built using the same methods. We'll see how long it takes as I am nearing one year on the other.
Finish work this time will either be monokote or glass as my one complaint about the 747 is I find it too easy to get dinged and it hasn't even flown yet.
It will be a month or so before construction would begin but it will happen. I mostly need to design a decent thrust reverser and decide on a method for slats.
To keep up with the new trend, my seven year old daughter will be helping when she can/wants.
As always, any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
rlebaron is offline Find More Posts by rlebaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by MOPAerial
United States, IL, Mt Vernon
Joined Nov 2012
431 Posts
Awesome! Subscribed!
MOPAerial is offline Find More Posts by MOPAerial
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by demondriver
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
17,116 Posts
Great Project Idea Rlebaron!

Sub me up aswell!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Very big RC MD-82 & MD-90
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:01 PM
IWC
Find More Posts by IWC
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,919 Posts
subscribed
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Aug 04, 2013, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by Ysharma
Joined Jul 2013
36 Posts
Subbed
Ysharma is offline Find More Posts by Ysharma
Old Aug 06, 2013, 11:29 AM
Find More Posts by mike_fish
Russian Federation, Mosk. oblast', Grigorchikovo
Joined Jul 2005
429 Posts
any progress?
mike_fish is offline Find More Posts by mike_fish
Old Aug 06, 2013, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Winter Is Coming
Joined Feb 2010
1,753 Posts
In !!!
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Aug 07, 2013, 07:20 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,116 Posts
I can't wait for construction to begin, But I think Rlebaron is waiting to maiden his 747-8 first.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Sep 2010
182 Posts
Amen brother. I have been in DC for the month and though the town is great, I can't wait to get back and get her in the air. But this project will be started after and hopefully be done better. BTW DD, thanks for the tutorial on how to glass your airbuses, I will do that on the next one.
Old Aug 07, 2013, 07:57 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlebaron View Post
Amen brother. I have been in DC for the month and though the town is great, I can't wait to get back and get her in the air. But this project will be started after and hopefully be done better. BTW DD, thanks for the tutorial on how to glass your airbuses, I will do that on the next one.
Your VERY welcome Sir, BTW the ONLY good thing in D.C, is the Smithsonian air & space museum, everything else is just Lobbyists & Politicians Lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2010
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Your VERY welcome Sir, BTW the ONLY good thing in D.C, is the Smithsonian air & space museum, everything else is just Lobbyists & Politicians Lol
I'm here for a course but don't want to say how many times I've been there- it's amazing.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
182 Posts
So i think KFC and I share some cerebral wavelength. Anyhow, construction is almost going to begin. A lot of carbon fiber as well as lighting system is on its way. Gonna print tiled plans and buy some foam this weekend. As a bonus (remember my daughter is in on this too), my neighbor Zee is gonna build a matching 787 so this will be a two-fer. The funny thing is he's kind of the street's handyman and all the wives have a thing for him. I say "hey Zee wants to build one of these" and suddenly she's cool with me staring the project. He's going with boeing blue livery.

I think for sure this guy will have flaps and slats. Prob dump spoilers since they are just showy. Still working on a decent thrust reverser with no crazy breakthrough yet. I'll keep you all informed.

Also. Anyone have a good source/thread for doing detachable airliner wings? My solid wing/wing box is a pain to transport so that will be a big change on this build.

Btw, this came today for planning purposes.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Sep 2010
182 Posts
Hey y'all. Off to Home Depot after clinic to pick up some foam. So here's my question. I am trying to figure out any potential problems that my 747 might have had to avoid repeating those aspects. I'm regards to the wing, I tried to build in some wingtip washout but worry that this led to assymetric wings and likely some of the trim issues. Any idea of planning vortex generators or wing fences into the 787 instead?
Old Nov 02, 2013, 12:42 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlebaron View Post
Hey y'all. Off to Home Depot after clinic to pick up some foam. So here's my question. I am trying to figure out any potential problems that my 747 might have had to avoid repeating those aspects. I'm regards to the wing, I tried to build in some wingtip washout but worry that this led to assymetric wings and likely some of the trim issues. Any idea of planning vortex generators or wing fences into the 787 instead?
Again sorry about your 747 Sir, If you add vortex generators to your 787's wing just be sure to add them to the proper location on the upper surface of the wing.

then again you might not need them, just be sure to pick the proper air-foil for her wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
182 Posts
And it officially starts.