I am intentionally cross-posting this, I hope that will be forgiven, as it applies to a few different upgrades. I wrote it based on my experience updating my X8Rs and Taranis using XP.
There were a few things that tripped me up (doubtless all covered in other posts, but I wanted to try and summarize what I had to do).
First off, for upgrading the Taranis, showmaster had excellent idea for connecting the FrSky USB adapters to the Taranis' internal XJT module.
I used a Futaba-style servo extension, which has and accommodates the keying on the SPort plugs. I only need SPort for my X8R, so I left the "FrSky Smart Port Converter Cable" alone. And I used the Futaba extension to make an adapter to go from it to my Taranis' internal XJT module, with the red wire removed, and the ground wire location moved per the instructions provided previously. Now I don't have to worry about swapping those pins back and forth depending on whether I'm trying to update an SPort device (receiver, etc), or the Taranis itself.
(It would be nice if FrSky included a Taranis-adapter cable like this with one of the update cables.)
I started with my X8Rs:
- Download & install the appropriate USB adapter driver for your OS from FrSky before plugging the USB adapter in. Found here, either "Driver-Win7/Vista" or "Driver-Windows XP":
- Plug in the USB adapter, let it finish setting up. Open Device Manager, go to "Ports (COM & LPT), look for "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge". Next to it it will say COMx (mine happened to be COM8). That's the port you'll need to select in the software. Mine did not automatically select the correct port.
- In this order
, run the SPort Updater software, "frsky_update_Sport.exe". Found here, "Upgrade Lite-S.Port Telemetry":
- Now select the proper COM port in the drop-down menu.
- Then click File, and point it to the appropriate firmware file that you downloaded and uncompressed. Firmware downloads:
- Now, with the receiver powered off (ie- not hooked to a battery/BEC; the USB adapter will power the RX), plug the SPort cable into the RX. For whatever reason, if you have the RX connected before selecting the firmware File, it won't find the RX
- The RX should power up when you plug it in, and the Download button should turn black, vs being greyed-out.
- Click Download. Now sit patiently until the process finishes. If I switched over to another program, the update kept failing with a "timeout" error. So just watch the program
- If it completes successfully, you're done. If it fails, try again.
This process worked with my X8Rs.
When I added the clever Taranis-adapter cable that showmaster suggested, it also worked for my Taranis:
- Plug the cable into the Taranis, with the Taranis powered off.
- Open the software, select the same COM port, click File to select the XJT firmware.
- Now turn the Taranis on (you should have the internal RF module enabled). This is equivalent to plugging in the RX.
- Download should turn black, click Download, and let the process finish.
Receivers update post:
Taranis module update post:
Pictures from these threads are attached.
You will need this adapter, "FrSky USB Cable (FrUSB-3 Upgraded Cable)":
And this one, "FrSky Smart Port Converter Cable":