SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2015, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,949 Posts
Wow - So either Dynam or Grayson is retrofitting a new motor to the GeeBee...wonder what else is changed:

Legacy motor: Kv900
New Motor: Kv1050

Legacy ESC: 40amp
New ESC: ??

Legacy Prop: 12x6
New Pop: ??

I am flying my GeeBee with legacy stock Kv900 motor swinging an XOAR PJN wood 13x6.5 via 80amp BESC - excellent top speed and also will climb into a dot.....I am thinking the new Kv1050motor on stock prop is should now be close to my set up......if so this plane is now hot stock!!!!

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2015, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by mkpatrick
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,974 Posts
Crashed mine.
No coming back from this one.
mkpatrick is offline Find More Posts by mkpatrick
Old May 26, 2015, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by mclarkson
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,631 Posts
Bummer!
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old May 26, 2015, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by Jmel
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Joined Jul 2014
366 Posts
Oh no! What happened?
Jmel is online now Find More Posts by Jmel
Old May 26, 2015, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by Sammy70
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
Crashed mine.
No coming back from this one.
Pilot or mechanical problem?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 26, 2015, 06:41 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,974 Posts
I thought I'd try an Eagle A3 6 axis stabilizer. I use these sort of things just in case I lose orientation or get sun blind, I can hit the switch and it will recover and I won't lose the plane.
This happened to me before, I got into the sun with an EDF and in that quick second, it was out of control. By the time I was able to re-aquire it out of the sun, it was too late and my EDF was fragments.
So I tried the Eagletree Guardian. I must say, it worked GREAT. Still does. I have one in my F-86. When you hit that switch, it recovers NOW.
Mostly, I just fly with no stabilizer on but its nice to have that failsafe there just in case I need an 'autopilot' for a second of disorientation or distraction. (Like when a guy's dogs started jumping on me at the field when I had my plane on final, they got a paw onto my controller as I was seated and bang. Plane gone.)

So as I have been putting more time into the beautification of my Gee Bee, I didn't want to airbrush a nice paint onto it without some sort of failsafe. Only this time, I cheaped.
I cheap cheap cheaped!!
I went with the Eagle A3 because of the glowing review on Motion RC and of course..... it was cheap. Half the cost of an Eagletree Guardian.

I got the Gee Bee up for a test flight. I tried it out and it did keep the plane level. However it was slow to do that. So I clicked it back off and landed it, turned up the gains on the A3 and tried it again. It was a little better but still not great.
I thought while up, I'd try out the auto hover function. I entered into the maneuver without the A3 on, at about 100 feet.
I pulled up into the vertical, chopped throttle to about 3/4. Then flipped the switch. It stayed in the hover for about 3-5 seconds and then started to erode from the condition. I went full throttle, it fell over to inverted and was losing altitude, sort of locked into the inverted dive.
I flipped the switch for the auto recover and it started slowly trying to recover. I should have had the presence of mind to flip off the A3 and recover myself but I'd tensed up and stopped thinking.
The A3 didn't recover in time and it impacted. The EagleTree would have snapped it to wings level immediately.
I will never use an A3 again. Never.
The Gee Bee was so awesome.
Old May 26, 2015, 06:45 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Pilot or mechanical problem?
I would say both. Pilot and electronic.
Old May 26, 2015, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by Sammy70
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
7,068 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 26, 2015, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
988 Posts
"I wonder what else has changed......"

nothing else... the prop clearly still says 12x6 and the ESC still says 40a on it and is the same as my other one.

Looking through the threads Dynam has changed the motor a bit, slowly increasing the KV, sadly. One person reported their's came with a 850, my old one had a 950kv.

I was going to switch to a 13x4.5 and get a xoar when I setup my new one but now I have the higher KV so I went with a xoar 12x6 and it's very well balanced. I'd say a little higher top speed but still climbs like crazy.

P.S. on 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Wow - So either Dynam or Grayson is retrofitting a new motor to the GeeBee...wonder what else is changed:

I am flying my GeeBee with legacy stock Kv900 motor swinging an XOAR PJN wood 13x6.5 via 80amp BESC - excellent top speed and also will climb into a dot.....I am thinking the new Kv1050motor on stock prop is should now be close to my set up......if so this plane is now hot stock!!!!

TwistedGrin
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Last edited by MaydayMayday; May 26, 2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old May 28, 2015, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by Will_GH
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Jul 2014
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post

TwistedGrin
Dynam changed the Geebee and the At-6 to the new style black/purple 1050kv motors on our last shipment. It was news to us as well.

-Will
Will_GH is offline Find More Posts by Will_GH
Old May 28, 2015, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_GH View Post
Dynam changed the Geebee and the At-6 to the new style black/purple 1050kv motors on our last shipment. It was news to us as well.

-Will
Very cool....both the GeeBee and the AT-6 should now be full blown sport planes...much more speed and power....probably even easier to fly. I think I can say they should both be better performers than they were (both reported very good in the first place).

This is all good news!!

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old May 28, 2015, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by gooniac33
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_GH View Post

-Will
That is actually a good thing!! I may get the T-6 now!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by karltrek
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,691 Posts
I love my Dynam AT-6. Especially after updating the motor to a Dynam 3720-600kv, a 13x6 prop, and running a 4S Lipo.
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek