New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
Build Log
Scale Build-off 4: FW-190 60" plans by Tony Nijhuis

Greetings, I would like to start a build log on the FW-190 60"wingspan offered by Tony Nijhuis. I first saw this plane in an Autumn 2011 issue of R/C model Aeroplane special edition. The free plans of the FW-190 were included in the magazine. I bought it, and decided to build it. Since I didn't want to use the plans in the magazine I ordered another set, including the canopy, cowling, and turtle deck (gun hood).
Tony Nijhuis web page:
http://www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/

Its been a while since I had these items on hand, and now I have decided to start it. I also was debating on purchasing the CNC pack & wood pack, but I thought that I needed a good challenge, and elected to cut them myself.

Sam
CUBANO8 is offline Find More Posts by CUBANO8
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:12 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
Plans, Canopy, Turtle deck, and Cowling

Here is the picture of the R/C Aeroplane Autumn 2011 edition, and also pictures of the Plans, Canopy, Turtle deck(Gun Hood), and Cowling.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
Wing Ribs

The wing ribs are made from 3/32 balsa sheet. I first made a template of each rib from clear plastic, then used the template to trace out the ribs onto the 3/32 balsa sheet.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
Right wing build

After completing all the ribs, I decided to begin the construction of the right wing. I assembled the ribs unto their position, using two 1/4" by 1/4" balsa stick spars. I also needed to make a dihedral brace shown in the plans to get the correct angle of W1.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
B1 & B2 Joiner, and webbing

B1 & B2 Wing joiner, and the webbing were glued in place.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:41 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
Top wing sheeting

The sheeting I will be using will be 3/32 balsa. I have a difficult time with the 1/16 sheeting recommended in the plans, only because I have a bad habit of making holes easily. I don't have a tender grip.
I edged glued four 3/32 balsa sheets to make up for the right top wing. I aligned it, and made the rib marking on them, this made it easy to pin the top sheet in place.

This is where I am with the build. After the top sheeting is glued in I will remove it from the build table so I can start on the left wing. Long weekend, so I'm hoping to get some more work on the FW-190 in between turkey, football, and family.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Sam
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,658 Posts
I was thinking of this one too. But I was going to substitute the 3/32 ribs for 1/16, as well as the sheeting. If it works good for Brian Taylor's bigger Hurricane, it would work for this one too. And it would be lighter to boot. Still might do it someday, but I got too many WW Once models ahead of it.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:49 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy View Post
I was thinking of this one too. But I was going to substitute the 3/32 ribs for 1/16, as well as the sheeting. If it works good for Brian Taylor's bigger Hurricane, it would work for this one too. And it would be lighter to boot. Still might do it someday, but I got too many WW Once models ahead of it.
I know what your saying, trust me I wasn't thinking of this one yet myself, but the garage area is cold, even with the portable heaters, cold creeps in, but inside the home its warm. I like warm, and the wife doesn't mind
Old Nov 27, 2014, 02:59 AM
Find More Posts by _AL_
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
1,214 Posts
Very nice.
Subscribed

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Nov 27, 2014, 06:53 AM View Post
quohiloes
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
Left Wing

Now that the right wing top sheeting has dried and the ribs are locked in place, I removed it from the building table, and started on the left wing. This was the same procedure as the right wing as the pictures show. I ran out of wood, and CA glue, so a trip to the hobby store is in the plans for tomorrow.
I'm thinking of a retract option now. I have a set of Robart electric retracts, but the length of the strut is just a tad short, and it is 85 degree. I was also looking at the 74 degree retracts offered by LADO, although a bit pricey, they do have the strut option which does have the length needed, and they look nice. The other option is going with Spring Air 709's which are 74 degrees, and oleo strut ready.
Will have to decide, and order soon before completing the wing.

'till next time,
Sam
Old Nov 27, 2014, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,658 Posts
I do believe Tony used the Eflite 120 retract set.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 27, 2014, 09:51 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
Quote:
I do believe Tony used the Eflite 120 retract set.
I believe he did to. I have the equivalent 120 Robart type electric retract with shorter struts. I could buy or make a longer strut, but I want to try to use something in 74 degree first. I know Eflite has a 74 degree retracts, but for a lighter plane(foam). I might start out with Spring Air 709's.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by RAFster
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,788 Posts
Quote:
How can increasing the thickness of the sheeting and ribs to 1/32 thicker end up with a lighter plane? They might be stronger but they generally are not lighter.
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster View Post
How can increasing the thickness of the sheeting and ribs to 1/32 thicker end up with a lighter plane? They might be stronger but they generally are not lighter.
Because he is decreasing the thickness by 1/32". Going down from 3/32" to 1/16".
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich