Old Apr 08, 2015, 12:51 AM
Find More Posts by graham1234
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashwell View Post
Just to satisfy my curiosity Graham, how many Storms have you produced? I know there are at least two in NZ and some in Aussie, a lot in the USA, presumably several in South Africa and I've seen stuff about them on a German website, so they are slowly starting to make an impact. Anyone that you know of planning on flying a Storm at the World champs this year?

Rex
Getting close to 50 now.
I dont know what the situation will be in the WC.
They have had a couple of good positions in US contests.
Graham
graham1234 is offline Find More Posts by graham1234
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
United Kingdom, Banstead
Joined May 2013
455 Posts
Woohoo my storm is finally together and balanced at 65mm with no additional nose weight for an auw of 256g using four turnigy ds245lv's ,a frysky t4rf rx and a 900mah 1s round cell. Now all I need is the weather��

Amazingly balanced laterally . As built

Dave h
DizzyDuck is offline Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
Old Apr 26, 2015, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
184 Posts
Heading into winter down here in NZ so the Storm will stay in storage. Got an old Topsky hacker that I'll fly for practice till it gets warm enough to thermal. Plenty of opportunities for ridge soaring when the wind is gentle so for now I'm content to just admire the workmanship.
RCFlyingKiwi is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
Old Apr 26, 2015, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by rashwell
Joined Mar 2011
64 Posts
RCFlyingKiwi,

Don't hold back Dave, winter is when we have calm days, perfect for trimming flights. Also don't be fooled into thinking there are no thermals. There are always thermals and some of the best days for flying are when conditions are cold and overcast, just look at all the YouTube videos of northern hemisphere pilots flying in the snow.

The power flyers down here in Blenheim look on winter as the best time to fly because it's generally calm with little turbulence. The glider guys in our club love it as well because there is lots of thermal activity which is fun to fly in and sometimes much stronger than you might expect. There are only fifty Storms in the world, I hate to think that one of them is in storage - they are not meant to be purely decorative so go fly it.

Rex
rashwell is offline Find More Posts by rashwell
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
184 Posts
I live on a narrow peninsula with cliffs surrounded by sea so we don't get the usual thermal activity in winter unless there are cu-nim (convection heating) storm cells around. Its a 50km trip to the country to really get nice conditions in the cooler months. Also got a camper van to build.

That said there was one occasion in June last year that a storm cell produced such violent lift I very nearly lost a DLG, having the cg too far forward did not help in trying to dive out of it. Was, I suppose 500-600' / min, great at first but kind of scary getting down. Be in the SI for next summer so I'll drop by some time.
RCFlyingKiwi is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by rashwell
Joined Mar 2011
64 Posts
Dave

Yep, you have to watch out for that kind of thing. Coincidentally a group of us were flying ALES 200 in the NDC competition on Saturday and enjoying amazing lift. Following the competition one of the guys wanted to try a new vario in his Vladimir Models Graphite 2E - he climbed rapidly to 1200 feet then put the nose down to come home as it was getting hard to see. Next report from the vario was 1500 feet then he lost sight of the model which was last heard from when the vario called 3050 feet before it went out of range headed for the sea. Not funny at all, that was $1500 plus free flying to "somewhere".

I can understand your geographic problem and the reason for reluctance to fly. By all means call if you are in the vicinity, we may be up your way before then. I'll yell if we are.

Rex
rashwell is offline Find More Posts by rashwell
Old Today, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by Jaguar22
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,233 Posts
Graham,

Thank you for all the good communication and most of all notification my new Storm is on it's way. I am excited to say the least. Hopefully the shipping gods will be kind.

David
Jaguar22 is online now Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member