SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2007, 05:55 AM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Discussion
"Cheap As Chips" .40 Size Motors

Hello All,

Just a quickie. Are MDS still going? I am getting back into RC soon and am looking for a cheapish .40 size motor, which will still give decent performance. I have had a couple of MDS motors, a normal .40 (Black Head) and a .40 Pro (The one with the large volume muffler). The latter was turning a 10x6 at around 13,500 as I remember, which was just about enough for the Precedent Fun Fly I had it in

So...In the cheapish bracket, here are my options;

TT GP42 38.99

SC 40A 44.99

RMX 40A 27.99

I'd love to think the RMX option would be worth it, but I don't want to go that route and find myself with a .40 that thinks its a .32

Aircraft is going to be a 58" low wing sport/aerobatic model, similar to an Acrowot, but around 4.5lbs weight. I'd like to swing an 11x5 prop at as near to 12000 rpm as possible, with a nice realiable low idle and decent reliability.

Thoughts?

Matt
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2007, 10:57 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,920 Posts
There were a number of threads for a while there on the MDS (Russian) engines, primarily centered on the WIDELY varying quality. If you've got two good ones, hang on to them. Buying an MDS was always a crap-shoot-- some guys took hammers to them in their frustration.

Now, the Thunder Tiger GP42 is one of the best buys in the hobby. I've owned three of them, and they all ran great right out of the box, with plenty of power and excellent idle and throttle-up response. Superb little engines.

Dunno anything on the other two brands.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Mar 01, 2007, 04:23 PM
Joined Nov 2006
432 Posts
I,d go with a magnum 46 they run good and would give the performance you are looking for without any troubles are problems. Look at the price and decide. I,m sure if you buy one, that will come to like this engine. It,s my go to work horse engine with a fair price.
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr