HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:00 AM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Poll
Pre Printed Durabatics

I am trying to find out how many folks would be interested in Durabatics foam Pre printed with aircraft or a service to print your design on Durabatics foam.
If enough people are interested in this I may be willing to do the work. I would supply the foam coated with inkaid and Buffed down to produce a very nice finnished print. I have a very good quality Printer to do the job. My work can be seen in my 1/72 scale builds in this section of the forums. My printing is getting even better, as I have learned a few tricks using the products and printer set up. I'm Polling this because I have gotten a good deal of requests to do print work for folks on here. We can negotiate a fair price as I'm not looking to get rich nor do I need the money. I may also be able to do this on depron up to 3mm. I know for sure I can do it on 2mm and thinner. Will try some 3mm as soon as I pick a few sheets up this week comming.

Doom
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:04 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
sweet, i may have a go at it as i cant buy another printer at the moment.
i just need to get some plane files that would be good builds.
now, when we send the file, would the parts need to be laid out really close together or would you do that? (to make use of as much foam as possible)
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:14 AM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Derk you could do that or I could do it myself the file would have to be in some form of Image format. I dont have any cad programs nor can I redo anything in PDF other then to save a file as. I can print PDF just cant manipulate them. If there are programs out that will allow me to manipulate those type of files I'll be happy to download them. I can accept very large Files also through my email server so that makes it easy for folks to send files. only thing I would need is desired scale I would absolutly print as close as possible to get as much print on every sheet as possible. Probably send a proof to the customer for approval before printing it as well. I can also group many planes into one print out even if each file is seperate I can group them up.

Doom
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:23 AM
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Joined Dec 2007
374 Posts
Hi Doom-

Just curious.... Does your printer do the full 12" x 13" sheet of durobatic, or do you have to cut it down to fit? (for example my printer only does 8.5" x 11") I've been sorta shopping for a new printer.

I also always try to lay out as many parts per sheet as possible, but I always get some waste due to getting the grain the right way. I've learned to print extra parts in the spaces like wheels and struts, so you will have extra in case of cutting errors or damage.

Shag
shagrug is offline Find More Posts by shagrug
Old Dec 05, 2009, 08:15 AM
Micro Addict!!!
Vale of Shadows, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Doom,

Great Idea!
I'm in.

BTW...Can You print on 2mm @ 11 x 17 ?
If so, Pm me.
We have to talk!

Thanks,

Wolf
AlphaWolf is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWolf
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:30 AM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Shagrug My home printer will only do 8.5 x 11 but I can choose to bannar the print and do 8.5 by 50' if i desire that obviously would require banner paper. I do have access to a printer that will print the whole sheet. I use them when I need to but the guy who prints it for me has to do it when no one is around so it could take some time to get it done. for the 1/72 scale I cut the sheet in half a and feed each half in set at the rite position when I do this I can print 4 complete planes on one sheet. The printer I'm using pulls even a 2" stip though evenly, so I can even print to scraps that would normaly be tossed out.

Alphawolf I havn't tried 2mm for a full 17" span my foam is 8.5 X11 X2mm for my depron I would thing the lenth wouldn't be a problem I can attach an extra lenth and see how it prints out.

Doom
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:31 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I'm interested, but I hope to get myself an inkjet printer one of these days.

My only problem is space. I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket. Well not quite, but I can afford any reasonable printer I just have no room to keep it. I guess I will have to build something to hold a printer, paper, durobatics foam and whatever.

Meanwhile, I am going to order the Fiddler's Green disks and see what I can do with them, and maybe get you to print something for me.

For me it depends on a lot of things, but it sounds like a good service to provide.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Dec 05, 2009, 03:11 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,072 Posts
Try printing and selling your own planes

Doom,
A good marketing start might be for you to print and sell copies of your successful planes.

This would help you get a handle on the expenses and other "potholes" that you might face.

It would also give us a chance to see your quality firsthand and get more of us "hooked"
Good luck, and count me in on at least 3 of your birds if you go this route.
Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is offline Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Dec 05, 2009, 06:14 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
yeah like I said I'm not looking to get rich and dont need the money I am willing to do this to help folks out who may not have a printer, Inkaid or durabatics I Basicly any price would be to cover materials only. I am the helpfull type and I love to see planes being made if I can help a few folks achieve that goal then I'm happy. You can see my print and design work by clicking my nake and checking my Blog there are links to threads I started there on this stuff but here are a couple picks of some very nice detail on my BF 109 and a couple others

Designed all my 1/72 planes using drawings and Pictures of actual aircraft. I draw them and apply the graphics and markings. the BF 109 is highly detailed it took me 5 days to complete, but I can do just about any plane faster if little detail is needed, if alot of detail is needed it will take longer. I will take requests on planes to make designs for even as One of a kind Planes. but I will have to charge something for my time to do them doing the print work takes very little time and I can print while doing other things but doing design work takes my full attention.

Doom
Old Dec 06, 2009, 05:48 PM
Joined Nov 2007
122 Posts
I'd be interested too. What do you think a printed sheet with a few planes might be priced like?

Dale
Alistego is offline Find More Posts by Alistego
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:41 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
I would definetly be interested in getting a few planes sheet kits off you! looks great!
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:23 PM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,202 Posts
Me too, would you ship to the UK?
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:43 PM
Manila, Philippines and Burlingame, CA
Joined Jul 2007
241 Posts
Sign me up as well. Ship to philippines?

btw how much would that cub be?
Gopedasia is offline Find More Posts by Gopedasia
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:43 PM
Joined Nov 2007
122 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the other posters since I'm in Canada. One thing for sure, the shipping weight wouldn't be much to worry about!
Alistego is offline Find More Posts by Alistego
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:27 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,725 Posts
Those look like fun!
I'd be interested.
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy