SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2007, 04:34 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2001
442 Posts
Discussion
AMA lost $76,000 on contests in 05/06...why?

Reading the latest AMA MA magazine I see that on page 182 that the AMA lost $43,238 and $33,130 in 05/06 respectively to host national contests. My questions is why are the entry fees not raised to cover the total expenses instead of the rank and file memberships covering the shortfall? Anyone that competes at a national level most likely has a budget to match this level of competition and hence the additional $$ is not a considerable sum.

Jon.
AndrewsJr is offline Find More Posts by AndrewsJr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2007, 04:43 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsJr
Reading the latest AMA MA magazine I see that on page 182 that the AMA lost $43,238 and $33,130 in 05/06 respectively to host national contests. My questions is why are the entry fees not raised to cover the total expenses instead of the rank and file memberships covering the shortfall? Anyone that competes at a national level most likely has a budget to match this level of competition and hence the additional $$ is not a considerable sum.

Jon.
Jon,

I can only speak for RC soaring, the nationals event I often attend, but the soaring nationals do not loose money. In fact the SIG that runs the soaring nationals makes money off the nationals.

In 07 and 08 the AMA has implimented plans to reverse this situation for the other events. They have increased entry fees on some events, dropped some events, etc.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Dec 26, 2007, 05:05 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,105 Posts
Lessee. With 150,000+ members, that comes out to about 50 cents each over a 2 year period. I don't mind them spending that much of my dues on the Nats.
Don
defranci is offline Find More Posts by defranci
Old Dec 26, 2007, 05:30 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
First of all it is difficult to predict how many entries will show up for a specific event. There are pre-registers but I would imagine there are also a large number who register at the site.
When you factor in the economics of todays world you might find a few reasons many choose to stay away--ie $3.00+ gas. Model airplane competitions are not family necessities--at least not as of the last time I checked. There are competitors that will be there at any cost. They are the top competitors--those most likely to win. Those who receive sponsorship assistance will be there but the average guy who just wants to be able to say he was there might not feel the bragging rights may not be worth the expense.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Dec 26, 2007, 06:11 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by defranci
Lessee. With 150,000+ members, that comes out to about 50 cents each over a 2 year period. I don't mind them spending that much of my dues on the Nats.
Don

They spent 6 times that amount sending me multiple questionaires asking me to update my "bio". (I should tell them I invented this thing called the "internet" and they should just email me). Not to mention that DVD they gave as a gift and then sent 4 envelopes to me to return it "if I want to". (And I'm keeping it you suckers!)

It sounds like they are taking steps to have these events better cover costs. Even if they lose a little, I suppose these events do help give the sport some exposure and possibly some new members.

With any large organization you will have what seems like poorly spent money, but as a percentage of income are not really that significant.

-Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:29 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Might ask this question over in the
AIRCRAFT - GENERAL - AMA forum

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:19 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
They spent 6 times that amount sending me multiple questionaires asking me to update my "bio". (I should tell them I invented this thing called the "internet" and they should just email me). Not to mention that DVD they gave as a gift and then sent 4 envelopes to me to return it "if I want to". (And I'm keeping it you suckers!)
Hey Steve,

Actually, both of those programs are zero risk "marketing" type things. On the DVD, the AMA would get a portion of any profit made (and, I think the AMA leadership regrets that program as it did make a lot of folks mad). The membership directory also is a zero risk program, and I think a better business decision as it could be a valuable resource to clubs.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke