SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2013, 08:34 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
I was told they will be shipping to me on Tuesday, which means they will be here by the end of next week. Then we have to do the assembly, programing, testing, and labeling.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2013, 02:34 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
New Nanos arrived today... but they are virtually unusable.

The same PCB manufacturer we have been using for tens of thousands of these things decided to break all of the boards apart and individually package them before shipping. This makes them incredibly difficult to work with. We do all of the secondary assembly here in house. So, normally the panels (10x10 array) are sprayed with a conformal coating and then either stuffed with top pin connectors and soldered as a panel, or broke into strips of 10 and with end pin connectors stuffed and soldered as a strip. Strips are fitted into our programming fixture for programming/testing. The antennas are then soldered in place in the strips of 10. None of this is possible with these boards. It could be faster to get all new boards and shipped before we had half of this batch done. As it stands, every single board has to be hand painted, soldered, programmed, and tested. I am really angry about the issues with the PCB houses. I think I will look at using off shore suppliers.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2013, 04:30 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
dang. changing a delivered product after so many produced without notice is just absurd... how could they not expect a problem?

...that said, I'd be happy to have a batch of non-coated, pinless, "solder your own antennas" Nanos
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 29, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Mar 2006
50 Posts
Wow you have your share of problems with your supplier. Good luck must be on the way you have had your share of Bad
firemedic305 is offline Find More Posts by firemedic305
Old May 29, 2013, 06:17 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
New Nanos arrived today... but they are virtually unusable.

I think I will look at using off shore suppliers.
I believe that I made some prior reference to the use of the descendants of the Xia dynasty as suppliers.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old May 29, 2013, 07:14 PM
Bunbury, WA, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
54 Posts
Well, and I don't know how I could possibly think such a thing, words like "Industrial sabotage" and "greasing palms to frustrate the opposition" come to mind.
Sure that it is just a bad and incorrect thought, -- idiotic happens naturally with some.
GEORGE III is offline Find More Posts by GEORGE III
Old May 29, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2006
50 Posts
Would hate to see it go out of our borders. A good product at a good price and helping keep American jobs what could be better. But American workers need to get it right.
firemedic305 is offline Find More Posts by firemedic305
Old May 29, 2013, 08:59 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
I am just venting... it seems like every time I have a problem with a PCB/PCBA house I move to another house and eventually a problem occurs. Time to rotate again I guess... the expanders were from a brand new place and a new product, so having a problem here was not too shocking - just frustrating. The Nanos are from the same place that has built them since 2010... very odd to have this happen out of the blue... but I am a bit pissed about it because it takes 5 minutes to build, program, and test a single receiver now. It should take less than 30 minutes for the entire panel of 100.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2013, 01:42 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
464 Posts
Jim, how much of a delay are we looking at? I have a few of my models on 2.4 and the rest on 72. Picked up a module and a few nanos back in April. Didn't anticipate another period of no receivers (you didn't either I'm guessing) Thinking of going back to 72 till product is available. Bit afraid of a screw-up from switching modules back and forth. Will miss the extended battery life on my Tx with the XPS module
MickeyMoo is offline Find More Posts by MickeyMoo
Old May 30, 2013, 02:38 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
This too shall pass. What did the PCB shop say why they did this?
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old May 30, 2013, 03:13 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
OK, well... my biggest issue I had with the whole thing was that the circuit boards all have a yellow/white edge that just looks horrible. Turns out that they have always been that way, but once they have been sprayed in the panel with conformal coating the board edges are saturated and they turn dark and look good. I guess I never noticed this before because we always build panels at a time and break them apart afterwards.

The company has offered to do our secondary assembly for us in exchange for mercy. So, I will keep a bunch here and start the process of hand assembly so we can get them out to our customers and the rest will go back and get fully assembled by them.

The assembler broke them apart as a 'convenience'.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2013, 07:33 PM
SailPlane'r
wernersville, Pa
Joined May 2006
78 Posts
Then I guess it's time to sit back, prop those feet up on the desk and light up a cigar
cluft is online now Find More Posts by cluft